NCL Gem - Aft Mini Suite w Balcony on Deck 11/ Any better cabins?

welove2cruise2014

We just used a CruiseNEXT deposit to book a Gem cruise from Boston in October 2020.

It was sort of a last minute decision (as last minute as one can be while booking a cruise a year out, LOL)  and while I told my PCC what cabin category we wanted (Aft Facing Mini Suite with Balcony), I am waiting for the actual cabin assignment.  I'm excited to have this to look forward to!

It's funny, we are paying for 3 in a mini-suite on Gem, just slightly less than what we paid for 3 in a suite on Dawn last year.  Yes, I am fully aware that we don't get any of the suite level perks with the mini.  We'll be sailing with our then-4 year old.

Anyone have any recent comments/feedback on Gem (that have stayed in mini suites in particular), that they would like to share?  This will be our 5th NCL cruise, first one not on the Dawn! 

20 hours ago, welove2cruise2014 said:

We just used a CruiseNEXT deposit to book a Gem cruise from Boston in October 2020.

It was sort of a last minute decision (as last minute as one can be while booking a cruise a year out, LOL)  and while I told my PCC what cabin category we wanted (Aft Facing Mini Suite with Balcony), I am waiting for the actual cabin assignment.  I'm excited to have this to look forward to!

It's funny, we are paying for 3 in a mini-suite on Gem, just slightly less than what we paid for 3 in a suite on Dawn last year.  Yes, I am fully aware that we don't get any of the suite level perks with the mini.  We'll be sailing with our then-4 year old.

Anyone have any recent comments/feedback on Gem (that have stayed in mini suites in particular), that they would like to share?  This will be our 5th NCL cruise, first one not on the Dawn! 

What's not to love about an AFT cabin, mini-suite or otherwise!  You'll have a great time 🙂

21 hours ago, welove2cruise2014 said:

Love the Dawn.  But the Jewel class ships have the excellent Great Outdoors and the deck 13 forward Spinnaker observation lounge/bar that the Dawn does not have.  Like both of those extras.   

We love the Gem..... we are also committed to the B1 family (aft balcony).  10668 is our go to cabin.  You will LOVE the aft facing room and how quiet it is and the morning smells from the bakery. 

Remember.... when returning make sure to stay alert that last afternoon / early evening as the ship enters Stellwagen Bank Marine Sanctuary.   We have done the Bermuda trip 5 times and each and every time there has been a spectacular marine show of whales, dolphins and some sharks (one great white this year). Pack binoculars to really see but everything is visible with the naked eye too. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellwagen_Bank_National_Marine_Sanctuary

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2019 at 12:21 PM, esm54687 said:

We love the Gem..... we are also committed to the B1 family (aft balcony).  10668 is our go to cabin.  You will LOVE the aft facing room and how quiet it is and the morning smells from the bakery. 

Remember.... when returning make sure to stay alert that last afternoon / early evening as the ship enters Stellwagen Bank Marine Sanctuary.   We have done the Bermuda trip 5 times and each and every time there has been a spectacular marine show of whales, dolphins and some sharks (one great white this year). Pack binoculars to really see but everything is visible with the naked eye too. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellwagen_Bank_National_Marine_Sanctuary

We are in 10668 next October!  I was thinking of trying to upgrade to 10664 or 10164 (if we can afford it - lol), or do you think 10668 is big enough and the view is good?

I know it's aft, so duh, the view is good 🙂  Just curious about noise from adjoining cabins... our last cruise was on a different line and we had a corner aft that was divine.

23 minutes ago, BallofGoof said:

We are in 10668 next October!  I was thinking of trying to upgrade to 10664 or 10164 (if we can afford it - lol), or do you think 10668 is big enough and the view is good?

I know it's aft, so duh, the view is good 🙂  Just curious about noise from adjoining cabins... our last cruise was on a different line and we had a corner aft that was divine.

We loved 10668 that we're booked in it again for May 2020. We did not suffer from any noise, soot, or disruption at all.  They were painting during the week and we received $50 OBC because they used a day in Bermuda BUT we could've said no....  not inconvenienced at all as they were in at 9am and done by 3.

We had plenty of deck room that we had 2 loungers, 2 chairs and a table 

The suites are a little bigger but the cost vs amenities didn't make it worth it for us......  

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 11:21 AM, jorabo said:

Aft facing minisuites are overrated. Noise from great outdoors above

With the caveat that I have never stayed in one because we don't book staterooms that are under noisy public spaces, I was going to point out to the OP what you just did -- that the aft-facing cabins on Deck 11 on the Gem and other Jewel-class ships are under the Great Outdoors.  

On 10/17/2019 at 12:21 PM, esm54687 said:

Important for the OP (and anyone else) to realize that staterooms on Deck 10 have cabins above and below, whereas Deck 11, as pointed out above, has the Great Outdoors (outdoor bar and buffet, chairs, tables, all day long and into the night)  right above on Deck 12.     Deck 10 on the Gem and other Jewel class ships is great.  

A couple of photos for the OP of the stern of the Jade, a sister ship of the Gem.  At the top of each photo is the Great Outdoors on Deck 12, and below that is Deck 11.   (BTW, the balconies of the aft-facing Deck 10 cabins are larger [deeper] than are the balconies on the other decks.  As a point of reference, the woman in the middle of the first photo below is standing on the balcony of 10668.)

enhance

enhance

(photos by turtles06)

• Like 2