What to do in Koper (Slovenia)!

BBMacLaird

I'm fascinated by this new blog post called Six Things to do in Koper.  

I've learned it is just south of Trieste, Italy, and from the photos looks like a place I need to visit, and soon!

How about you...have you been to Koper, Slovenia? I'd love to hear more about it.

P.S. If you too are fascinated after reading this blog, here is a link to nine upcoming Azamara cruises that visit Koper 2020/2021:

https://www.azamara.com/int/find-a-journey#port=KOP

gettyimages-610675952-LakeBled.jpg

gettyimages-804354134-Koper Piran.jpg

gettyimages-950772110-Koper cave.jpg

gettyimages-1088218876-Koper cathedral.jpg

• Like 1

We were in Koper this autumn.

Lovely city. Our experience was enhanced in that we were there on a Sunday. We don't know if it it is typical, but that day there were a number of markets set up in many of the squares in the old city. Created a very festive feeling.

If not on a shore excursion, you can obtain a map from the local Tourist Office that outlines a route that helps you experience both the old and new cities. The old city is very accessible from the dock location. You can visit the town early in the morning before many of the guided the tours organize. 

It was also the location of our excellent Azamazing Evening.

Edited by nordski

It was a performance by the excellent acapella choir, Perpetum Jazille. As I mentioned in my review of that cruise if you wish to view a sample of their work you can find them on YouTube, although on that platform the performing group will be larger.

If three ships are involved it might be an interesting logistical challenge.

Our presentation was at grounds that seemed to be part of a night club. I believe that at previous times the choir performed in Tito Square in the centre of the old city.

In both cases, the ships are not far from the presentation area.

• Thanks 1

We enjoyed our stop in Koper, after an overnight in Venice.  Azamazing event was in Tito Sq as noted, and it was spectacularly successful.  The singers were both talented and personable.  There were vendor tables around the edge of the square with both free quaffs and nibbles, and also items for sale.

• Thanks 1

We enjoyed a walk around the old town, then caught a bus to Piran. The bus left from the port, just steps from the gang plank. Piran has a lovely square and many narrow, winding streets to explore. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...