Last minute booking and CPAP question.

June Bug

We’ve only cruised with RCCL twice before and it’s been quite a while, but we just booked a last minute cruise on Liberty of the Seas.  Our cruise is this weekend, and I noticed it says they need 30 days notice if we are bringing a CPAP machine so they can help provide an extension cord and distilled water.  Obviously, we are closer than 30 days.  Has anyone ever not gotten a cord from them?  Or do we bring our own (which is what we’ve done on every other cruise line we’ve been on)even though their rules say it’s forbidden 😱?  My husband can’t sleep without the machine.  Thanks for your help! 

No need to worry.  Just ask your cabin steward for the extension cord and distilled water when rooms open up.  Most times you will get the items within a few minutes, if not they will be there by the time beds are turned down.

Have a great trip!

• Thanks 1

I realise it doesn’t help with your situation.

But for future reference.

We email special needs about two weeks before our cruises and the extension cord plus distilled water is always waiting in our stateroom.

They obviously hold a good quantity of distilled water on board as our cabin steward nearly always asks us to inform him or her should we ever need anymore which we never have done.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ptod said:

No need to worry.  Just ask your cabin steward for the extension cord and distilled water when rooms open up.  Most times you will get the items within a few minutes, if not they will be there by the time beds are turned down.

Have a great trip!

This.

• Like 1

We have simply brought a plain extension cord and distilled water onboard ourselves with no problem. For 2 of our previous cruises, we bought the water at the departure port city, bringing it on-board in the original, unopened plastic bottles, inside checked luggage. We placed the bottles inside big ziplock bags in case of leakage. On the last 9 cruises, we haven’t needed water so skipped this step. However, we have brought the extension cord with us for all of our 11 RCCCL cruises with no problem.  The extension cord must not have an on/off switch and no surge suppression or any electronics built-in. We bring the cord in our carry on. 

We understand that we can ask our cabin steward but prefer to make sure we have no problems using our CPAP machine.

Cheers, Jose (from Vancouver)

• Thanks 1

Always brought my own extension cord in the past.  I don't use the humidifier, so never asked for water.  But, you can bring water on board, unlike the cord!

So ... on our last cruise in May, I had my first call to the naughty room!  I had my extension cord packed in my luggage instead of carry on with my CPAP.  Maybe as long as it was with my CPAP, they were letting it go.  Or, maybe they recently started enforcing that rule for no extension cords. Either way, it was a nightmare!  I am betting they just started enforcing it.  I say that because they had over 200 people who had their cords taken away!  Since they didn't tell me about it, and I finally went looking for my luggage later in the evening, they already ran out of cords!  I was told I would be put on a waiting list.  Like there is a walmart somewhere in the middle of the ocean where they would get more!  I told them wrong answer, and said they had until 11 PM to get me power for my CPAP.

About 10:30 an engineer showed up all dirty looking and had a tie wrapped huge power cord for me to use.  He has this crazy look in his eyes like wondering who the hell I was to get his personal spare from the engine room.

Anyhow, I got a power cord last minute and was all set!  I do understand the policy.  If I had known they were going to suddenly enforce it, I would have not brought one.  I know MY power cord is safe and is in good shape.  I don't know that about everyone else though.  So I get it.  I know why they don't want just any extension cord plugged in on the ship.

So ... I now have a 20 foot power cord for my CPAP!  Have not brought it on a cruise yet, but will see what happens on my next cruise.  They can't tell me it is an extension cord since it is the actual power cord, just a very long one.  :-P

I actually buy the gallons of Publix purified water at home, which clearly states it is fine for medical devices (rather than distilled water).  I would assume that the water on-board is purified.  I have brought our own extension cord (and yes, it does not have an on/off switch) and try to keep it with the CPAP, but last time I did get called to the "naughty room".  I explained the situation to the security person and she called the electrician who inspected the extension cord and approved it.   (there were literally containers and containers of electrical cords and irons and steamers and coffee pots in the security area!)  The electrical cord we always bring is a heavy duty type also (less likely to crimp), and long enough to reach from the opposite side of the room to the bedside.   There is NEVER an outlet near the bed, obviously.

6 hours ago, MsMaryPoppins said:

I actually buy the gallons of Publix purified water at home, which clearly states it is fine for medical devices (rather than distilled water).  I would assume that the water on-board is purified.  I have brought our own extension cord (and yes, it does not have an on/off switch) and try to keep it with the CPAP, but last time I did get called to the "naughty room".  I explained the situation to the security person and she called the electrician who inspected the extension cord and approved it.   (there were literally containers and containers of electrical cords and irons and steamers and coffee pots in the security area!)  The electrical cord we always bring is a heavy duty type also (less likely to crimp), and long enough to reach from the opposite side of the room to the bedside.   There is NEVER an outlet near the bed, obviously.

Some of the newer RCI ships do have outlets by the bedside nightstand...Harmony as an example.

• Like 2