live on the monarch

wl2cruise

Just got home as well. HEY' date=' Wl2cruise, why didn't you make yourself know before we sailed last Monday ... on CCritic? It was fun getting to know new people.

SMELL: we were on Deck 10 and everything was great ... didn't notice anything as we walked around in other areas.

Our Captain (age 38) died of a sudden heart attack early Monday morning. RCI found a replacement and we sailed on time. KUDOS to the entire staff ... particularly the Senior Staff ... for holding it together these past 4 days and giving us a cruise to remember. It was soooo sad, tho, to realize how they were hurting just behind the smiles and the jokes. I head that Mo was particularly hard hit. It did seem we didn't see as much of him as the usual CD.

We were impressed with the food and fabulous service!

~dianne[/quote'] I just seen your meet mingle friday before we left and I had early dinning I was upset that we sailed at same time but i did see a couple later on with the mardi gra beeds sorry hope you youll had fun wish i could have joined it would have been my first

has for the sewer smell i did smell it one time on deck 8 stairs and in the mens rooms. I also thought there was alot vibration throught the boat i have never felt vibration that much before on my previuos cruises

the food was great but limited i thought but love the shows that i seen

i only been cruising since 03 this was my 4 cruise all with rci but i thought the but was not in good shape ive only been on the new ships so this might not been right to compare her to vision radiance or voyager class i hope they send us a fairly new ship full time in so cal

My DW and I are looking forward to once again being on the Monarch for a week in March on a B2B. If you were on the cruise just after the Monarch came out of drydock.........I hear that it was not that great. But I understand that the crew is getting back to a normal routine......and that once again..........the Monach rocks!!!

Rick

yes i was on the jan 30 sailing the crew was ok the ship is not in great shape i thought. the pool deck u could tell new from old look terrible one part of it was soaking wet all week long i smelled varnish all the time at the pool bar and there was some rust in my bathroom please do not get me wrong i enjoyed my cruise i just was not to happy with the layout or the shape the ship was in like i sayed maybe it was because this was my 4 cruise and first on the soverign class this was lowest class and smallest ship ive been on. i did not care for the vibration that i always felt on the lower decks the main dinnig room vibrated every night all night when i was there:(

I'm taking my mother on the 4/14 Monarch cruise. We have a JS on 10 so I'm hoping for a nice "un-smelly" trip.:) As for vibration, I was just on a Yangtze River cruise in China and the ship vibrated so hard the rails on the back of the ship looked like musical instruments! There were pails of water on the stern that had huge ripples so hopefully I will get back in April and say "WHAT vibration?!?":confused:

This is my first "main line" cruise and is a birthday surprise for my mom so I'm really looking forward to it. I've enjoyed reading all the reviews and comments on this site.

Thanks

Beachdude, I have to agree with what almost everyone else has already written. I sailed last year in April. The seas were very calm, EXCEPT for the last night coming back from Ensenada. I don't know whether it was the swell or what. I have been on several cruises in MUCH rougher seas, but I actually was awakened many times by the vibration....and we were on deck 9. Of course, I was so worn out that I kept going back to sleep.

Herzmel, aka Melissa:

Why don't you join our roll call for the 4/3/06 sailing? It's at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=207342

I'm in a Junior Suite too.There appear to be very few of us Cruise Critics on this sailing. I'll look forward to getting to know you on the roll call.

I'm taking my mother on the 4/14 Monarch cruise. We have a JS on 10 so I'm hoping for a nice "un-smelly" trip.:) As for vibration, I was just on a Yangtze River cruise in China and the ship vibrated so hard the rails on the back of the ship looked like musical instruments! There were pails of water on the stern that had huge ripples so hopefully I will get back in April and say "WHAT vibration?!?":confused:

This is my first "main line" cruise and is a birthday surprise for my mom so I'm really looking forward to it. I've enjoyed reading all the reviews and comments on this site.

Thanks

The only vibration we felt last week was when we were coming back into San Pedro in pea soup fog and the ship's fog horn was constantly blowing. The sound is AWESOME and goes right to your core! I love that sound as we sliced thru the thick fog ... wish I was back on her:D

~d

Thanks Mary,

I will join the roll call. I agree there arent many on our sailing. I couldnt find a roll call to join. Thanks for the link.

My children and I are looking forward to cruising again. The reviews and comments have been so helpful. Hopefully some of the kinks on the ship have been worked out. Im not thrilled about the vibration or the sewage smell but Im sure it will be fun anyway.

The seas were very calm, EXCEPT for the last night coming back from Ensenada. I don't know whether it was the swell or what.

You often hear people say that they felt the ship rockin and rolling on the last night. I think this results from pulling in the stabilizers on the ship while they motor back home...they can go faster and conserve fuel. And if they have a whole ship full of seasick passengers, well...they are all getting off the next morning anyway. :)

Tracy

More i am reading, the more i am getting concerned(Maybe i should stop reading :D). And this vibration motion, is more of a up-down sort of a motion, or a slight "skip" if you know what I mean. On the way back from ensenada, is it sea sick worthy of some people, or just "oh I felt some movement in the ship last night.:cool: "

Sorry for all the questions:o

since you are on Monarch...do you have an opinion on Grand Suite room 1532, dck 10?? I have a chance to pay for the upgrade from our Oceanview room on a lower deck to the GS...just curious...some people say "save your money, others said go for it."

Could you please tell me if they sell Christmas ornaments in the shape of the ship' date=' in any of the gift shops?:confused: [/size']

I bought a Monarch ornament when I was on board in August. The selection wasn't good. I had to settle for a thin, gold cut-out style. Not my favorite but it will do. I think it was $5.

Michelle in SoCal

Mercury 4/7/06

I just got back and it was all in all a great cruise... there were some minor issues such as the elevators being very slow and frustrating but I enjoyed the cruise and wish it was a little longer. I didn't ever see a WiFi signal on the boat except for in Ensenada but it seemed to be an outside hotspot. I will post a full review once I get home and get my stuff together. I can tell you that most of the issues that people have had in the past were not a case on my cruise. The ship was fully booked and though I thought I caught a hint of sewage smell at one point, there was never an issue with it worth mentioning. My cabin was on floor 5 and my mother in-law's cabin was on deck 10 so we spent a little time at both with no problems.

-Sashanicole

I just got back and it was all in all a great cruise... there were some minor issues such as the elevators being very slow and frustrating but I enjoyed the cruise and wish it was a little longer. I didn't ever see a WiFi signal on the boat except for in Ensenada but it seemed to be an outside hotspot. I will post a full review once I get home and get my stuff together. I can tell you that most of the issues that people have had in the past were not a case on my cruise. The ship was fully booked and though I thought I caught a hint of sewage smell at one point, there was never an issue with it worth mentioning. My cabin was on floor 5 and my mother in-law's cabin was on deck 10 so we spent a little time at both with no problems.

-Sashanicole

Was your Capt Lindergren or Olaussen? Capt Hakan had been home with an ailing parent and was supposed to return 2-10-06

-Sashanicole

Sashanicole, I'm so glad you had a good cruise. You were pretty concerned ... see, we told you that you'd have a good time. OK, when's your next cruise?:rolleyes:

Archived