Have you taken a fan?

FloridaGram

We are going on the Breeze and I know I read something about a fan with a magnetic base that hung on the wall. I found it online at the time,  but unfortunately did not order it  and now I cannot find it.  Does this sound familiar to anyone? Or if anyone else has any suggestions of what they have made work.  

I take my 10” portable fan on all our vacations, including cruises, for the air and white noise. Got it many, many years ago, but it’s still in great shape and works great. It’s an O2Cool brand, probably the grandpa of the one ShakyBeef posted a picture of above. 😁 It can run on batteries or A/C power, but being an older fan, it takes D batteries and I don’t want to mess with those. I always take a long extension cord (9-10 ft.) so I can put the fan next to the bed. It’s also long enough to put it in the bathroom to air it out after a hot shower while we get ready.

There are plenty of different portable fans on Amazon. I got mine from the camping section at Walmart. 

If it's just a matter of having the noise, there's actually a free fan app on iphone/android that you can use.  I actually prefer to have the breeze on me at night but I always forget to take a fan with me on each cruise.  

We have always brought our own fans and white noise makers.  The personal fans tend to be quieter, therefore we bring the noise makers as well.  The fans we bring the most are the boxed fans.  The big ones.  We purchase them on sale (under $20) and leave them in the box, unopened.  That way there is never a question with maintenance or security whether the electrical is ok or not.  I always place a luggage tag on the fan box.  We usually self carry our own luggage, but give our fan to the luggage porter.  We have never had an incidence of anyone taking the fan, losing the fan or denying us use of the fan.  Since we paid so little for the fan, if it becomes too much of a hindrance to carry off with self disembark, we leave it in the cabin for our steward to take.  

8 hours ago, CruizCuz said:

We have always brought our own fans and white noise makers.  The personal fans tend to be quieter, therefore we bring the noise makers as well.  The fans we bring the most are the boxed fans.  The big ones.  We purchase them on sale (under $20) and leave them in the box, unopened.  That way there is never a question with maintenance or security whether the electrical is ok or not.  I always place a luggage tag on the fan box.  We usually self carry our own luggage, but give our fan to the luggage porter.  We have never had an incidence of anyone taking the fan, losing the fan or denying us use of the fan.  Since we paid so little for the fan, if it becomes too much of a hindrance to carry off with self disembark, we leave it in the cabin for our steward to take.  

You're braver than I'd be by allowing your fan to be checked. Have you ever gotten it back broken? They aren't very gentle with the checked luggage most of the time.

I'm curious, for the ones you've taken home, do you then end up with a collection of box fans? You don't seem to mind buying a new one each time, but for what it's worth, you could at least use the same one for a few cruises to save from buying another one each time. Heck, mine is close to 10 years old, if I had to guess, maybe more. But it's also in its original box, so that kind of makes it look newer. But even if they inspected it, it's in great shape.