surcharges in Australia/New Zealand

new2cruise

I just happened to see this on the Princess Board: 

Ever since I discovered that if one settles one's onboard account using a credit card,  you will get hit with a 1.5% service charge, I've been paying for things in advance.  (This is apparently some Princess Australia thing, I'm not talking about a "regular" foreign transaction fee which most of our cards waive.) 

Does HAL do the same thing?

50 minutes ago, new2cruise said:

I just happened to see this on the Princess Board: 

Ever since I discovered that if one settles one's onboard account using a credit card,  you will get hit with a 1.5% service charge, I've been paying for things in advance.  (This is apparently some Princess Australia thing, I'm not talking about a "regular" foreign transaction fee which most of our cards waive.) 

Does HAL do the same thing?

There is no additional onboard charge by HAL for using a credit card.  Your final account can be settled in cash or credit card for whatever the final amount is.

You can also purchase On Board Credit on the HAL website to use onboard.  

This only applies to cruises that have on board charges billed in AUD& and not in UD$.

It is common. and legal, in both Australia and New Zealand to have the cost of using a Credit Card as opposed to a Debit Card applied as an additional charge instead of it being incorporated into the bill. This places the Credit Card cost on the individual that uses it instead of charging those that pay cash or use a debit card for something that they do not use.

42 minutes ago, TTFromSommersTown said:

This only applies to cruises that have on board charges billed in AUD& and not in UD$.

It is common. and legal, in both Australia and New Zealand to have the cost of using a Credit Card as opposed to a Debit Card applied as an additional charge instead of it being incorporated into the bill. This places the Credit Card cost on the individual that uses it instead of charging those that pay cash or use a debit card for something that they do not use.

Or instead of having the corporation take the 1.5% out of their obscene profit. 😕

This is becoming more and more common in many countries including in the USA.

If I remember correctly, New York State passed a law (I do not know when it is effective) that allows restaurants and hotels in that state to add a surcharge for using a credit card.

3 hours ago, caribill said:

This is becoming more and more common in many countries including in the USA.

If I remember correctly, New York State passed a law (I do not know when it is effective) that allows restaurants and hotels in that state to add a surcharge for using a credit card.

It is the exact opposite in Europe!  It is not permitted to charge extra for using a credit card.  Also the commission charged by the credit card company to the retailer is regulated. It makes sense as less cash is held on retailers premises and less cash in transit for 'opportunists'!

The negative of this is that the 'miles and points' that accrue to credit card use in USA is noticeable by its absence in Europe!"