Mazatlan Golden Zone

meliss35

We are going on a cruise and arriving in Mazatlan on Christmas day from 8am to 5pm. At 8am we are planning on walking the blue line to Old Mazatlan to see that Catedral and Centro Market. We then plan on walking from the catedral to the Malecon. After that, we want to go to the beach and was thinking of going to the golden zone. How far is it from the Malecon walking or do we need to take a taxi? What is the cost of a taxi to the golden zone and then from the golden zone to the cruise port?  Will it be easy to get a taxi from the Malecon? Where is the public area to sit on the beach in the Golden Zone? Can we rent chairs and umbrellas? We were also thinking instead of going to the golden zone beach area to go to Stone Island. Which would you recommend for beach time?

The "Malecon" is the stretch of road that fronts the bay, so I do not understand the question about how far from the Malecon to the beach -- it is beach-front.

Golf carts (properly called "pulmonias") are the most plentiful taxis in Mazatlán.  A golf cart from the cruise ship terminal to Golden Zone is about $12 to $15 --- not per person, but per cart.  The golf carts are clustered at the Terminal, at the Cathedral and Mercado, and at Golden Zone.  They are swarming like pesky flies, there is no problem in getting one, just in convincing the drivers that you are not interested yet.

I have never tried to get a taxi from the Mercado, but that should not be a problem.

I have used chairs and a table at resorts in Golden Zone.  If you buy lunch and drinks, the resort will probably allow you to use the facilities.  I have never had to buy a Day Pass for a Mazatlán resort -- just be generous!

We were in Mazatlan earlier this month and paid 150 pesos for a pulmonia from the area near El Shrimp Bucket on the Malecon to the Playa Mazatlan in the Zona Dorado (Golden Zone).  We then paid 160 pesos for a pulmonia to go back to the same area.   If you pay more than 200 peso/$10, you'd probably be over-paying. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

You probably should consider securing reservations.  Many places will be closed on Christmas day.

The cathedral will most likely be having special Christmas mass schedules to take into consideration.  Here is link with a phone number you can use.

https://www.sinaloa360.com/cathedral-basilica-of-mazatlan/

Another beach option is Stone Island which really is not an island.  The beaches are just across the jetty a quick walk and boat ride away.

On 10/25/2019 at 12:32 PM, meliss35 said:

We are going on a cruise and arriving in Mazatlan on Christmas day from 8am to 5pm. At 8am we are planning on walking the blue line to Old Mazatlan to see that Catedral and Centro Market. We then plan on walking from the catedral to the Malecon. After that, we want to go to the beach and was thinking of going to the golden zone. How far is it from the Malecon walking or do we need to take a taxi? What is the cost of a taxi to the golden zone and then from the golden zone to the cruise port?  Will it be easy to get a taxi from the Malecon? Where is the public area to sit on the beach in the Golden Zone? Can we rent chairs and umbrellas? We were also thinking instead of going to the golden zone beach area to go to Stone Island. Which would you recommend for beach time?

We will be on this same schedule as well.  Are you on the Norwegian Joy?  

I'm just wondering how much of Mazatlan will be operational during the holiday.  I am thinking most businesses will be closed in the AM.

The last time we were in Mazatlan it was about a 20-30 minute walk into town to get to the Market/Cathedral.  Ita another 20-30 minute walk from there to anywhere along the Malecon depending on which part you walk to.  It runs for quite a ways along the bay.

We are going to hike up to the lighthouse 1st then head around the bay on the Malecon and hoping that by the time we head back through El Centro more businesses will be open in the afternoon.

It's about 7-8 miles of walking round trip and while we could typically do that in about 2hrs we will be stopping quite a bit, taking pictures and enjoying the day.  So itll be a full day for us.

I am just hoping the market will be open in the afternoon even if only some of the businesses as we really enjoyed El Centro last time we were there.

Forgot to mention the Golden Zone!  That's a little bit of a hike from Centro.  Google maps shows about 4-5 miles.  I'd grab a ride from the Market up that way or walk there and get a ride back.  

Screenshot_20191116-135947_Maps.jpg

Edited by wilmingtech

We will be there also on Christmas Day.  Cruising on the Norwegian Joy.  Hoping to catch a red truck (there are 11 of us) to the Golden Zone.  I’ve read some other posts that most of the resorts will let you use their facilities if you are spending money there.  Hope this is true!  I have read El CID Castillo Beach is one of the best options.  Playing it all by ear versus booking an excursion through Norwegian.  Any advice is totally appreciated!