Help for handicapped passengers?

debbiewp

Walkers are very difficult to use on a cruise ship in areas where there is carpeting and thresholds.  When I cruise,  I use a collapsible wheelchair;  I don't ride in the wheelchair,  I stand behind it and push it.  The larger wheels on the wheelchair allows me to walk without difficulty in areas with thresholds and carpefting

22 hours ago, debbiewp said:

Wow...I'm pretty sure that I did not in any way state that I expected the ships staff to move my parents place to place and I am well aware of the family's responsibility.  

I think that perhaps I unintentionally exaggerated their handicaps and should clarify for all that my parents live independently in their own home over 400 miles from us (and further from all other family)...they attend social events, go out to dinner and enjoy a beach vacation with their entire  family in the summer.  They both still drive, do their own shopping and they are both quite able to walk on their own...the transport chairs were just a thought to make things easier for them on a large ship.  

Obviously, I cannot expect everyone to be as kind in their responses as others.

Yes, perhaps you did overstate their health issues, but yes, you DID request would staff be able to transport your parents up to the Horizon deck among other places. You have to understand the "legal" issues at stake. Should one of your parents be injured in any way(you've seen how klutzy some pax can be on board)The line does not want to be liable, especially in today litigious society. If you have a friend who wants a free(or partially paid cruise) this might be an option. My niece had a friend that they paid for to travel with them to Hawaii(not a cruise, but a vacation)The friend's job was to watch over the kids when the parents wanted to go off on their own. Obviously this needs to be a trusted friend in a situation like this. Though knowing these kids well at that age, a sacrifice to the volcano god wouldn't have been the worst thing. KIDDING(or am I?)

We were on the Crown for the 10-day So. Caribbean Medley earlier this month and saw many, many elderly persons with walkers and scooters on board.  I think the idea that's been suggested for electric scooters is a good one to get around the ship, but know that the crew will make every effort to assist with off-boarding at non-tender ports.  They will assist for tender access also, but its a little more precarious and I don't know if they can take electric scooters but I saw a woman with a walker who had no trouble at all. But if the waters are rough, may not be a good idea.  I also watched (they can change the gangway from "stairs" to a "ramp") them assist a gentleman in a wheelchair off the ship - one attendant at the front and a second at the back VERY CAREFULLY moving him down to the dock.   Also, there are excursions specifically designed for "wheelchair accessible" and perhaps a compromise between your mobility and their lack of mobility for an excursion or two so they can join you could be considered?  

23 hours ago, debbiewp said:

Wow...I'm pretty sure that I did not in any way state that I expected the ships staff to move my parents place to place and I am well aware of the family's responsibility.  

I think that perhaps I unintentionally exaggerated their handicaps and should clarify for all that my parents live independently in their own home over 400 miles from us (and further from all other family)...they attend social events, go out to dinner and enjoy a beach vacation with their entire  family in the summer.  They both still drive, do their own shopping and they are both quite able to walk on their own...the transport chairs were just a thought to make things easier for them on a large ship.  

Obviously, I cannot expect everyone to be as kind in their responses as others.

Actually in your first post you asked if you could arrange for crew to move your parents

• Thanks 1