Group Cruise planning - do we need a travel agent?

footlooseFF

Our company is considering a group cruise for 50 people in October 2006, 3-4 day duration. Is this something that we can plan ourselves working with the cruise company, or should we go through a travel agent? If a travel agent is recommended, what services/benefits would they provide that we couldn't do ourselves?

Also, can we go by the pricing on the cruise websites or is there add-ons (ie. port charges/taxes, other fees) that we should take into consideration when planning our budget.

We'd be grateful for any advice/information that you can provide.

Sharon

For that many, probably a TA could be very helpful unless you have seasoned cruisers in your group. This could get very complicated.

The travel agent should do all of the scheduling, booking, deposits, and final payment. Also, she/he should take care of any special needs and requests by the passengers of your group. They should watch the pricing, and if it does go down, perhaps save you more money that way. Plus, I am sure there are many other advantages to having a GOOD TA such as special pricing, and additional perks.

A good TA is worth gold, a bad one can cause you nothing but stress. Choose wisely. Recommendations for specific TAs cannot be posted here. You should ask around, and check with your local Better Business Bureau, or better yet, get personal recommendations from seasoned cruisers.

Port Charges, Taxes and insurance are extra - they are not usually included in the quoted price, unless specifically stated so. Always ask about this specifically on any quote - and ask again to verify.

Good luck, and have a happy cruise!

You could use the group department of the cruiselines.

Since you are looking at booking more then 8 cabins make sure you get all the amenities that go with booking a group PLUS make sure that the peoples booking numbers are linked together.

The more cabins you book the better the amenites.. the cheaper price also comes with booking as a group.

depends on the ship and the week. Not all sailings are treated equal.

Some sailings will get cabin credit== where others will get a free coctail party. (we got a party) other sailings get both. It depends on the number of points given for each sailing.

You do not get a free cruise.. what you get is a free berth-- you still have to pay taxes and port charges. or you can rebate the free berth back within the group. to get this free berth-- every 8 cabins booked and sailed. Double occupancy-- 3 people in one cabin is one cabin booked. and the people MUST sail. they cant book and cancel.

Well I guess depending on the cruise line, our group received a bottle of wine and strawberries covered n chocolate platter and a cocktail party and a free berth not to mention an upgrade to the empress deck for all cabins(8). This was my 3rd year using the group department. I think i have done good each year. We have been upgraded each year to the empress deck. These items were given in each cabin .

Sweet-- did your group book guarantees? or set cabins?

and were they together?

my group the majority booked set cabins but the people who all booked guarantees are all together.. in the cat they booked at.

Archived