Former NCL Bar Staff AMA

Ennzo

My questions are, I often add a tip if I am given a receipt on a cruise bar bill, even if I have the alcohol package - would this go in full to the staff who served me or his team (if thats whats the norm) or to NCL, is it better to give cash rather than this system.

Secondly, my next cruise has free gratuities included by TA. Is this treated the same as if added daily to my On Board Account, is it shared on the same basis as if I paid. Will I see it added and taken off my OBA daily?

Thank You for Replies? 

On 11/2/2019 at 5:25 PM, ziggyuk said:

When I have a service charge automatically added to the bill, I ask if the staff get 100%, if they say no, I ask for it to be removed and I add the same amount (or more) as a tip.

I didn't realize that service charge on the bill can be removed. I thought it's mandatory, no questions asked, and then I can tip above if I want to. So it was always removed from your bill when you asked?

The person who started this thread has incorrect information, and it's pretty clear from their responses that they are not who they claim to be.

The DSC does NOT go to bartenders, just as it does not go to specialty restaurant waitstaff.  The gratuities automatically added to each beverage package, drink, meal package, or specialty meal goes to that staff.

4 hours ago, Aldeya said:

I didn't realize that service charge on the bill can be removed. I thought it's mandatory, no questions asked, and then I can tip above if I want to. So it was always removed from your bill when you asked?

In the UK the service charge in restaurants is normally a discretionary charge and I'm often asked if we hare happy to include it, this prompts my question of "what percentage do staff keep?", the reply decides if I keep it in place or remove it and cash tip instead.

The same applies to credit card tips here, often the company keeps a percentage as an "administration" fee which does not apply to a cash tip 

12 hours ago, Aldeya said:

My understanding is that you cannot remove the service charge on bar bills, or the automatic gratuity on specialty dining, or the automatic gratuity on spa services. They are service charges and are mandatory. I think people may get confused because they have pre-paid the gratuity on the dining or beverage package and see a tip line on a no-charge receipt from the bar and tip extra. They think it's optional then.

I "discussed" whether or not NCL allows you to bring on bottled water and soda on Reddit with a person who swore they cruised just last month and carried a case of root beer and a 24 pack of water on board and NCL allows it. He cruises four times a year, and it's never a problem. The poor OP on that thread couldn't figure out what the real policy was because the person was so adamant as a "Double Diamond Level NCL cruiser" that there was never a problem. You can't trust what you read on forums, especially ones that allow fake names like CC.

• Like 1