Stop over in China

Random question can any one tell me about China port of call?

We will have a 14 hour port stop in Shanghai will the 144 hr visa waiver work for this port. Japan was our last port stop. Korea is next port stop then on to Taiwan. 
Anyone with any experience or info greatly appreciated.😀

The 144 hour visa waiver should apply (according to the Chinese authorities).

The only problem I see is the cruise line. They have been very slow in recognizing the visa rules for China. If the cruise line believes you need a visa, they will insist you get one. In that case, unless you get a visa, you would be denied boarding or have to pay a very high fee for an 'emergency' visa.

Who are you cruising with? Someone here might have recent first-hand knowledge of what that cruiseline requires. Obviously you can phone the cruiseline, but you may just get the stock answer that you will need to "obtain the necessary visas". I can understand why they would handle a visa request like that. They would operate cruises to many dozens of countries, and in most cases, the situation re visas varies according to the nationality of the visitor.

In April 2017 we had a port stop in Shanghai on a Princess cruise. Port prior was Hong Kong and next was Busan, Korea. We did not need a visa. At the time the visa waiver was fairly new but we had no problems with the cruise line though there was a lot of discussions prior to the cruise whether it the waiver would apply.

1 hour ago, mlkitt3 said:

Random question can any one tell me about China port of call?

We will have a 14 hour port stop in Shanghai will the 144 hr visa waiver work for this port. Japan was our last port stop. Korea is next port stop then on to Taiwan. 
Anyone with any experience or info greatly appreciated.😀

I would not risk it. Chinese immigration is a disgrace and if you have been paying attention to news reports and deportations you will note that they do deport people for having the correct visa if the Chinese forced the situation to change.

Chinese communist government officials do not like Japan, they do not like Taiwan and don't even recognise it as a country. Chances are if there is a delay and they see you have been to Japan and on to Taiwan and if there is a delay and the hours vary to the visa requirement then they will deport you.

China is a disgraceful country getting more aggressive in its posture like that. Their government undercuts international airlines and suck people into flying with a Chinese carrier with the guise of a visa free wait period. What often happens is that there will be delays and changes forcing you to get a visa and if you do not comply or if your travel schedule does not adhere to their communist doctrine you will be deported. You need to check the DFAT website and smarttraveler advice on China. Although ambiguous it makes it clear that rules are enforced.

• Haha 1