What's a clamshell?

mom58

We're going on the 4/1/06 Sensation which visits Half Moon Cay. I keep reading about renting cabanas or at least clamshells. What the heck is a clamshell? Also, what does tendering mean when stopping at the ports? These must be really basic questions, but I can't figure them out! Thanks for the help!

Half Moon Cay is a beautiful island that Holland America owns. Carnival must be using this island when there are no Holland America ships scheduled.

A clamshell is a type of canvas covering that resembles a clamshell. There is very little shade on this island, so if you are sensitive to the sun, a clamshell may be what you need. You will need to reserve a clamshell ahead of time, you can do this through your excursion form. These are popular and are usually sold out by the time you get onboard.

A cabana is like a little house with air conditioning, some snacks, etc., which is very nice, but I find very expensive. Come to the Holland America boards and there are some people there that can answer your questions in more detail since they have experienced the cabana life.

Enjoy your cruise.

A Clamshell is a half moon shaped umbrella that sits on the sand to shade you.Usually fits 2 or so people. Kinda neat but somewhat expensive.

Tendering is anchoring out of the port(as apposed to docking) and taking a ships tender in. Takes longer to get ashore. Hope this helps, any other questions just ask:D

I am sailing on the Westerdam in April and want to reserve a cabana. Does anyone have a suggestion on which one to pick? Or is there somewhere that shows the locations of the cabanas on Half Moon Cay?

You will get a better response to this on the HAL forum. There are several folks over there who will know locations and / or know where "maps" showing the various cabanas are accessable on-line.

Archived