Alaska Cruise

Fire Chief

With teenage boys I would definately go with RCI.... their ships have all the great stuff that will keep them active and happy like the rock climbing wall, rollerblading track, ice scating, basketball court, jogging track, virtual driving range and a terrific teen program.... but on an Alaskan cruise it should be the DESTINATION which is the atraction, the rest is just good back up.....:)

Hey Chief. We've sailed 2 times with our son in the Caribbean when he was about 12 and 14... he ALWAYS had a blast - both at ports -because they were always an adventure - and on the ship - because it too, is an adventure (he' always managed to meet kids and explore the massive ship - plenty to do... the pool, the food, the fitness center, yada, yada, yada)! We will be going on our 3rd cruise this July to Alaska and he is now an 18 year old college bound young man... We chose to go on Princess because it goes to Glacier Bay (only HAL & Princess typically go there) which we feel is an important place to see... and feel Princess is preferrable over HAL for teens - as I get the feeling from all I've read, that it is a little more lively than HAL.

The Coral Princess has no rock climbing wall, but there is a teen center (& activities)... a pool w/ a retractable roof & outdoor pool, a great gym, lots of food (important for boys), movies during the day, adult activities - which kids that age can enjoy, and of course, the ship itself - which is fun to explore!

They'll LOVE IT!

Did an Alaska cruise with our teenage son and pre-teen daughter. They weren't sure they even wanted to go. Now they can't wait to go again. We were on a tight budget but we did and saw more than most folks on the ship. Awesome trip! Here is our VERY detailed review. Feel free to post any questions you may have.

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/alaska.html

We have a teenage girl (there should be a few of them on board, which is an attraction they might be more interested in than the rock climbing), but whichever ship you choose (I would think either RCI or Princess), it's the outdoor nature of Alaska that will keep them happy. There are many excursions that will be high energy such as zip lines, fishing expeditions, hikes, kayaking, canoeing, bicycling, dog sleds. Involve them in prebooking some of the excursions.

We took our children when they were teenagers on Alaska cruises. I would look into the following cruise lines which all have several Alaska cruises. Celebrity Cruise Lines, Royal Caribbean and Princess. The first two will have more children then Princess but thought you should look at all three just to have more to choose from in terms.

Keith

My kids have traveled many times to Alaska with me. But the ship and itinerary was not chosen based on the kids "activies", and they always had a great time. Alaska has many options for traveling, I think that is the priority if you want "Alaska", with the ship choice down the list and other factors first- ports, time in ports, route, itinerary, price.

Kids will have a great time no matter- usually. :) I would not base my choice on a rock wall. :)

Archived