Salerno Shore Ex. - Paestum or Herculaneum?

northwestbear

Will have a port day in Salerno in early December. We’ve done Pompeii on a previous cruise and have an interest in both Paestum and the Herculaneum, but don’t have time for both. Anyone been to either one or both. Is either worth a visit? Anybody love one over the other? Thanks for any information. 

We have done all three.  We were blown away by the temples at Paestum, and Salerno  is the nearest you will get.   Herculaneum is closer to Naples.   We just returned from there,  our ship offered a tour of the temples along with a visit to a buffalo mozzarella farm.    That Is what I would recommend.  

Edited by bennybear

If you have seen Pompeii, then I would recommend Paestum over Herculaneum. Although both are outstanding sites, Paestum will really bring home the history of the early colonization of southern Italy by the Greeks. There are both Greek and Roman ruins at the site, but it is the three well-preserved Greek temples that take away one's breath.

I've been to the site twice and really enjoyed both times (including having a special tour with the site director). Often you can even walk through one or more of the temples.  The onsite museum is also particularly nice, with well-preserved decorative sculpture from the temples. Do NOT miss the very rare Greek tomb paintings in the museum, especially the frescoes from the Tomb of the Diver, which were only discovered in 1968:

https://www.italianways.com/the-tomb-of-the-diver-in-paestum-a-gem-of-greek-painting/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2019 at 5:20 PM, northwestbear said:

Thanks so much. These are useful. I think we are now leaning toward doing Paestum.

And while you're there visit one of the adjacent buffalo mozzarella farms for lunch.

Edited by Bobal
  • Like 1