Princess Cays Stingray Beach Encounter

windango

I posted this on the Private Islands board over a month ago and no one has responded, so I thought I'd try here.

I'd like some feedback on this excursion from folks who've done it.  We generally just walk around on Princess Cays and maybe shop a bit but last year we took my mom (77) on a stingray encounter in Antigua and she still talks about it.  It was packed with cruise line passengers and the snorkeling was awful but just being in the water in the middle of the ocean with the stingrays totally made her day.  Can anyone who's done the "Princess Cays Stingray Beach Encounter" comment on how it was?

4 hours ago, windango said:

I posted this on the Private Islands board over a month ago and no one has responded, so I thought I'd try here.

I'd like some feedback on this excursion from folks who've done it.  We generally just walk around on Princess Cays and maybe shop a bit but last year we took my mom (77) on a stingray encounter in Antigua and she still talks about it.  It was packed with cruise line passengers and the snorkeling was awful but just being in the water in the middle of the ocean with the stingrays totally made her day.  Can anyone who's done the "Princess Cays Stingray Beach Encounter" comment on how it was?

Hi Windango ,

My wife and I remember going on the Stingray Encounter it was awesome. My wife tell all her friends how nice it was.
I remember holding a stingray between my arms and feeding it when my wife was holding it.  
Tony

My wife and I did it.  You definitely get to interact with the stingrays and feed them.  Its very informal and you take your own pictures (we weren't sure at first if there would be a photographer as there have been at other wildlife encounters we've done).  They are very careful about how you move in the water, so as not to potentially harm the rays (you need to sort of shuffle around).  It still seemed very "new" when we went, so it may have evolved since we did it.  Its right near the tender dock.

We did it last year and it was a great encounter, the rays are smaller then you will see in the wild encounters, but the staff was hilarious and they had a photographer there to to take pictures, she also took a few pictures with my iPhone for me too (in a wet bag). A few bits of advice, the stingrays get fed all day and are way more interested in the morning according to the guide. Also, if you can get in on the first or second session the groups seem to be much smaller, giving you more one on one time and attention from the rays.