Train from Seward

abxk40a

Looking to drive from Anchorage to Seward via Alyeska, drop off the car, spend a few days (fishing and Kenai Fjord tour) in Seward and take the train back to Anchorage. I heard that the train views are superior to driving. I assume they are talking about the morning train. How are the views on the evening train (6:30pm- 10:15pm) going back to Anchorage?

There's only one set of tracks, so it's the same view regardless of the direction.  

There's lots of video on youtube.  Just do a search on 'alaska railroad from seward to anchorage'.

p.s.  this flyover video is from the video collection on alaska.org

https://www.alaska.org/detail/coastal-classic-train

Edited by mapleleaves
p.s.

On 11/8/2019 at 4:43 PM, Northern Aurora said:

I wonder if the OP is asking if it would be too dark to enjoy the views?  It is unclear to me when they will be in Alaska.  

Late June 2020 and yes, will it be too dark?

1 hour ago, abxk40a said:

Summer Solstice is on June 21st.  Albeit Fairbanks is farther north than Seward or Anchorage, but on that day we have over 21 hours of daylight.  Fairbanks is so light that we have an annual baseball game held on June 21st which has been in existence over 100 years.  At the Midnight Sun Baseball game the opening ceremonies start at a 10 PM, the first pitch is scheduled for 10:30 PM and the game usually goes on until 1 AM or so -- all played with no artificial light.  Anchorage, if I am correct, has over 19 hours of daylight.   Use google to check the hours of daylight on your specific date, but I doubt it will be too dark to enjoy the views.

• Like 1

Hey there - we have both driven and taken the train and the views are spectacular both ways.  We did take the morning train but have just had a look online and it looks like the sun doesn't set in June until about 11pm so there should be plenty of light for the amazing views - enjoy!

On 11/12/2019 at 6:03 PM, abxk40a said:

Yes, I got your hint, abzk40a!

The train reaches Anchorage at 10:15 pm but it's not dusk there until 11:30 pm at the end of June.
So you'll be just fine.