A few questions about our first cruise with a baby

matymil

16 hours ago, bamelin said:

I see a few other threads were linked including mine which I posted last week.  Great advice in all of them -- my kid will be 16 months too.   I highly recommend a travel stroller -- Purchased the Mountain Nano which I think is going to be great.  Other recommendations include the Baby Jogger City Tour 2 or the Babyzen Yoyo+ (although this last one is crazy pricey).  All 3 of these strollers should fit in the carry on compartment of the plane which is huge -- damage can occur if you check your stroller.  The Babyzen Yoyo + fits in even the smallest of compartments and for many parents replaces their larger strollers completely.  We already had a huge SUV style Graco stroller so we went with the Mountain Buggy Nano we got on sale -- got it for a great price and it will get lots of use as our secondary travel stroller when we cruise and likely get use in the spring and summer at home too.

The cruise line will provide a pack n play (just ask them to add it to your reservation).  We generally co sleep so will use the pack n play when we need somewhere to put him while we are all awake.  

For clothes I'd recommend just packing enough for the cruise -- while I DO plan on doing laundry that's because we will be away for 14 nights -- on a 7 night I'd just pack enough.  You could get the $50 unlimited laundry package or do 1 bag of laundry which I believe costs $20. (edit: I was assuming you were on a HAL ship -- you will have to look up all the various laundry options -- a lot of ships have laundromats but who really wants to do laundry on a cruise?)

Some of the best advice I got here is to bring doggy poopy bags, disposable bibs rather than ones I'd need to wash, oh and to bring a blow up tub for swimming on the balcony as well as bathtime at night.  There were a lot of things in those threads I hadn't thought of and it really helped me with envisioning what we need to pack. 

We also have a balcony...you guys were able to put alittle blow up out there with no problems? 

There’s some great advice here!

It may not be relevant to your little one as they’re a bit older, but thought I’d add my two cents in case anyone reading this will be travelling with a younger bubba.

Throw in a box of disposable bibs! They’re so convenient. The bib will keep your little one clean during the meal, then you simply pop it in the bin after your meal! No need to take cloth ones and worry about washing and drying them so they don’t get mouldy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 4:08 AM, matymil said:

We also have a balcony...you guys were able to put alittle blow up out there with no problems? 

We actually cruise in December.  Hopefully there will be no problems!  I feel it's going to be a bit of a hassle but he's too young to use the shower.

2 hours ago, bamelin said:

We actually cruise in December.  Hopefully there will be no problems!  I feel it's going to be a bit of a hassle but he's too young to use the shower.

I was actually just going to hold him :classic_biggrin: This may be a better idea though. Gotta see if it makes the 50lb luggage cut though.

On 11/19/2019 at 7:56 PM, matymil said:

I was actually just going to hold him :classic_biggrin: This may be a better idea though. Gotta see if it makes the 50lb luggage cut though.

From personal experience: they are soooo slippery in the shower, while soaped up. I'd get an inflatable bathtub and use it for baths.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good tips already. My DD just turned 2y. She cruised when she was 8 months and 16 months. Much harder at 16 months because she was so mobile and curious. About the shower - we just put towels on the shower floor to make it less slippery. Did it when she was 8 months with her sitting and 16 months with her standing. I did not want to bother with the inflatable thing.

We use the Summer Infant 3D lite stroller for the first trip and the GB Pockit Plus for the recent trip. Would love to get the Babyzen Yoyo but have sticker shock. The GB is not as sturdy but I love how small it folds and great for carry on size so you don't have to wait at the gate. We also bring our own carseat (the Cosco Scenera Nex) and it nests perfectly in most umbrella strollers. I use 2 bungee cords to secure it to the stroller.

As for eating, MDR was easier as we did not have to schlep our own stuff and staff loved entertaining her as many have kids at home that they miss. We got to see staff members' kids' photos many times.

Pay for the photo package. We have great formal family photos from both cruises with her. The most recent one was our "grandma" cruise with both GMs. We definitely got our money's worth. Not sure how it works for Carnival, but for Princess as long as someone in the cabin who got the package is in the photo it is included in the all inclusive package.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chinita415 said:

Good tips already. My DD just turned 2y. She cruised when she was 8 months and 16 months. Much harder at 16 months because she was so mobile and curious. About the shower - we just put towels on the shower floor to make it less slippery. Did it when she was 8 months with her sitting and 16 months with her standing. I did not want to bother with the inflatable thing.

We use the Summer Infant 3D lite stroller for the first trip and the GB Pockit Plus for the recent trip. Would love to get the Babyzen Yoyo but have sticker shock. The GB is not as sturdy but I love how small it folds and great for carry on size so you don't have to wait at the gate. We also bring our own carseat (the Cosco Scenera Nex) and it nests perfectly in most umbrella strollers. I use 2 bungee cords to secure it to the stroller.

As for eating, MDR was easier as we did not have to schlep our own stuff and staff loved entertaining her as many have kids at home that they miss. We got to see staff members' kids' photos many times.

Pay for the photo package. We have great formal family photos from both cruises with her. The most recent one was our "grandma" cruise with both GMs. We definitely got our money's worth. Not sure how it works for Carnival, but for Princess as long as someone in the cabin who got the package is in the photo it is included in the all inclusive package.

Thanks. A lot of good info!