Puerto Vallarta cruise port to Malecon by bus

bigdaddy930

Hi, we will be at the PV port by the end of this month and we want to explore Malecon on our own by taking local bus. Just have a few questions. 1) which bus stop we should get off at? I heard about Hoel Rosita is at the beginning of Malecon. 2) Is bus fare 7.50 each? So for two of us $15 peso can I pay bus driver US$1 to cover both? 3) any must visit bar or places we should visit while we are there? Appreciate any input. Thanks

• Like 1

Busfare is 10 Pesos per person per ride. Take any bus with Centro or Olas Altas in the window. Donot take those with Tunel, they go a different route to old town. Be aware on some of those buses you need to transfer at the stadium, so check when boarding. Only in that case you can use the same ticket.

Nowadays not all drivers will take US$, so better have some Pesos ready. Also in general no change wil be given.

Yes get off at Hotel Rosita or the next stop. 

On the way back take the bus with hoteles/Sam or airport. Check again if they go to the cruiseterminal. Some buses with Walmart on the window go to a different Walmart!

Check the maps on this website: https://vallartainfo.com/

We took the bus into the down town. From the ship, it is on the main drag, right in front of a gas station.  So basically, exited the ship and walked right and paid 10 pesos for the ride.  Locals on the bus told us where to get off.  You will pass all the hotels and the water will be on your right hand side.    On the return, we looked for a bus that said Walmart (I did not know there were more than one Walmart) but anyhow, it did go through the tunnel into the mountains and it was pretty scenic and came back out and took us right back to the ship.    Was easy peasy.  

The bus situation in PV is currently "fluid" as the local authorities experiment with route changes intended to alleviate the heavy traffic in Centro and Zona Romantica (Old Town).  We will have a better handle on the situation when we get to PV in a few weeks (our winter home) but for now folks should be aware that not all the buses you would get near the Marina (Port) will go directly to Centro (downtown).  In some cases you might have to change buses (no extra cost) near the Sheraton.  If you do use the buses and run into this problem  it should be easy to just follow the crowd as they change buses.  Nobody seems to be able to give us a definitive answer as to whether this Pilot Program (with the bus transfers) will continue or be quickly stopped.  Like many things in PV we just have to wait and see.

Will transfers mean it will take more time?  Maybe yes and maybe no.  If it does reduce the bus traffic in Centro then it's possible that lesser traffic will mean faster transportation.   Cruisers also should generally avoid any bus that says "Tunel" in the front window since these use an entirely different routing and bypass Centro.

Hank

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Hlitner said:

The bus situation in PV is currently "fluid" as the local authorities experiment with route changes intended to alleviate the heavy traffic in Centro and Zona Romantica (Old Town).  We will have a better handle on the situation when we get to PV in a few weeks (our winter home) but for now folks should be aware that not all the buses you would get near the Marina (Port) will go directly to Centro (downtown).  In some cases you might have to change buses (no extra cost) near the Sheraton.  If you do use the buses and run into this problem  it should be easy to just follow the crowd as they change buses.  Nobody seems to be able to give us a definitive answer as to whether this Pilot Program (with the bus transfers) will continue or be quickly stopped.  Like many things in PV we just have to wait and see.

Will transfers mean it will take more time?  Maybe yes and maybe no.  If it does reduce the bus traffic in Centro then it's possible that lesser traffic will mean faster transportation.   Cruisers also should generally avoid any bus that says "Tunel" in the front window since these use an entirely different routing and bypass Centro.

Hank

Apart from what Hank tell you also be aware that  also some busroutes/stops in the centre have changed. I was told no more stops at Plaza Lazaro Cardenas but it seems many (but not all) buses make their way back at an earlier stop now. 

Only buses going through the tunel seem to have the same route.

5 hours ago, Ine said:

Apart from what Hank tell you also be aware that  also some busroutes/stops in the centre have changed. I was told no more stops at Plaza Lazaro Cardenas but it seems many (but not all) buses make their way back at an earlier stop now. 

Only buses going through the tunel seem to have the same route.

ARGH!  You do realize this will make my life more difficult :(.  It took me years to understand the old bus routes and now they want an old amigo to learn new tricks?   It will be difficult to give detailed help to cruisers until we have actually been able to ride a few of the bus routes.  Sounds like enough stress to justify more Margaritas.

Hank

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

ARGH!  You do realize this will make my life more difficult :(.  It took me years to understand the old bus routes and now they want an old amigo to learn new tricks?   It will be difficult to give detailed help to cruisers until we have actually been able to ride a few of the bus routes.  Sounds like enough stress to justify more Margaritas.

Hank

Donot be surprised, this is Mexico! I was given 2 reasons, one it is too busy in old town with buses etc and the other it seems they are finaly updating or tearing down that awful building at plaza Lazaro Cardenas at the bus stop. So insstead of making a right turn to this Plaza on Venustiana Carranza buses go left towards hwy 200 for the return journey. But... you never know how long this will be.

Edited by Ine

56 minutes ago, Ine said:

Donot be surprised, this is Mexico! I was given 2 reasons, one it is too busy in old town with buses etc and the other it seems they are finaly updating or tearing down that awful building at plaza Lazaro Cardenas at the bus stop. So insstead of making a right turn to this Plaza on Venustiana Carranza buses go left towards hwy 200 for the return journey. But... you never know how long this will be.

Perhaps it is for the good if they are truly tearing down that falling down building (this makes sense in Mexico).  The situation with that building was very sad and many folks lost their substantial deposits.   My major complaint is that they will likely replace that failed building with a bigger building...and the destruction of the charm of our part of town continues :(.  I suspect that within 20 years the Zona Romantica (Old Town) will simply be an area of large condo buildings.

Hank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Perhaps it is for the good if they are truly tearing down that falling down building (this makes sense in Mexico).  The situation with that building was very sad and many folks lost their substantial deposits.   My major complaint is that they will likely replace that failed building with a bigger building...and the destruction of the charm of our part of town continues :(.  I suspect that within 20 years the Zona Romantica (Old Town) will simply be an area of large condo buildings.

Hank

Yes indeed. If replaced it might be another of those monster large buildings. Things have changed a lot already the last few years.

PS  In the latest PV Mirror people are complaining about the sometimes confusing transfers at the stadium and the new routes. Some people have been waiting at the no more existing stops.

However since most cruise passengers only get to the area of the Malecon only the possible transfer at the stadium will be important.

This coming days till December 12 the pilgrim  Maria de Guadalupe festivities take place in the church at the end of the Malecon.

In the afternoon and evening  due to many pilgrims walking to the church often buses will not go into the centre. The same during the day on the 11th and 12th.

Ine (and anyone else interested),

I took a look at the latest PV Mirror (Nov 29) and noticed a couple of letters to the editor complaining about the bus routes...or lack thereof.  Even the PV Editor admitted things are not good and said they would publish something once they can figure it out!  

To me, it sounds like total confusion (this can happen in Mexico).  The info I had was that all the changes were a "pilot" project and subject to change.  So how on earth is anyone to know about the current route structure.  For those of us who live in PV (and routinely use the buses) it will be a matter of "rolling with the waves."   Since we know our way around we will just have to adjust to constant changes.

But for fellow cruisers we would suggest avoiding the buses until the route situation is clear.  The risk for a cruise is that you will be forced off a bus outside of town and you may not be able to figure out your options.  If that happens you would need to hope that somebody who lives in the area and speaks English can give you some guidance (many of the drivers do not speak any English).  Cruisers might want to use taxi or Uber (our preference) for the next few weeks until some of us can unravel the mystery of the bus routes.  

Perhaps the local officials can explain the wisdom of causing bus confusing just as PV enters into its main tourist season.  But I sure would not hold my breath.

Hank

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, titanguru said:

Any advise on how much to negotiate for a taxi from the gas station to Malecon and back (4 of us).  Also.  Do you tip the driver?  Thanks in advance.  

Good questions.   The key is to negotiate before you get inside the taxi.  I would start at 100 Pesos and the driver will likely laugh.  In the end you would not want to pay more than 200 Pesos (about $21) but you should be able to settle on something around 150 Pesos.  There are actually official taxi fares (by zone) and I am not sure of the current zone fares (usually ignored by taxi drivers) but it is probably in the 150-170 Peso neighborhood.  Keep in mind that this is the price for the entire taxi...not per person.  The fare is less if you are dropped somewhere in "Centro" rather then in the Old Town (South Side, Romantic Zone, Zonta Romantica, Viejo Vallarta, etc....all the same place).

As a part time resident of PV I truly love the place and the Mexicans.  These people work very hard for little pay.  When it comes to taxi drivers I will usually bargain "hard" and get them down as low as I can.  And if they agree, then I will more then make up for it with a tip :).  You do not have to tip but most gringo folks will tip 10-20%.   If I like the driver (and we have fun negotiating) I will be generous.  Keep in mind that giving him an extra 20 Pesos is only $1, which does not mean a lot to you but is important to the driver.  On the other hand, if they try to rip me off (without humor) I might tip zero!  And by the way, Mexicans have a terrific sense of humor :).

If you plan on paying in US Dollars then you should negotiate in Dollars and make it clear that you want to pay in dollars.  This will possibly add a little to the price, but that is the price of doing business in a foreign currency (for them).

One other thing.  We do have Uber in PV, so if you have a working phone and the Uber app that is another possibility.  You will likely save some money using Uber, but the reality is that for cruise ship passengers in town for a day (and Mexico for a few days) the savings are not going to be substantial.  Uber from near the port to the beginning of Centro (McDonalds) should be a little less then 100 Pesos.   I have done fine with Uber drivers, although a majority of my drivers do not speak much English.  The regular taxi drivers often know some English (especially when it comes to negotiating).  Keep in mind that the total cost between the cheapest deal (usually Uber) and an overpriced taxi might amount to 100 Pesos extra which is a little over $1 a person (if 4 in the vehicle).   So try to keep it all in perspective.  You do not want to be ripped off,,,but it is just so wrong to try and screw these hard working folks.  I am often out at 5am (walking) and there are taxis just sitting at their "Sita's" (taxi stands) waiting for a fare.   These guys work long hours, for little pay, but most keep their sense of humor.

Hank

• Like 2

Thanks Hank.  Agree on the Mexican people.  I am married to one😉.  She will be doing the talking but I am the negotiator.  I am trying to convince her that we should spend our winters in Mexico.  I like winters in Idaho but I am no longer interested in shoveling snow.  Thanks for the advise.  

For those part time residents of PV, let us know of any changes to the bus fares or routes. We finally had gotten used to which bus to take and how much money to have but will be going again in January so a heads up if hits change will be great!

10 hours ago, pinto18 said:

For those part time residents of PV, let us know of any changes to the bus fares or routes. We finally had gotten used to which bus to take and how much money to have but will be going again in January so a heads up if hits change will be great!

Busfares are still 10 Pesos per person, not all drivers take US$. Going  into town you might have to transfer to another bus at the stadium, so keep your ticket as prove. Check with the driver when entering the bus. No transfer on the way back.

I am not there yet, but have this information from locals. 

• 2 weeks later...

We are in Puerto Vallarta now and my husband has been taking the bus into old town from the Hotel Zone.   He gets the bus in front of La Isla mall that is marked "Centro".  Some buses end at the Sheraton Hotel and everyone gets off and waits for a bus that continues into town.   Other times the bus does go into old town.   Not sure how to tell the difference but even if you have to take 2 buses you show your transfer and take the second bus.   There are a lot less buses than other years and therefore less pollution and traffic.

3 hours ago, aksharp1 said:

How long is the bus ride from the cruise port to Hotel Rosita?

It is probably about 2 1/2 miles in distance but the time varies depending on traffic.  I would guess that the average time would be in the 15 - 20 min range.  But the time would be increased if you are required to transfer buses at the stadium area (about 3/4 of a mile outside of Centro).  This transfer thing is new and seems to be an ongoing experiment.  Once we arrive in PV (just after New Years) we will have a better idea of the current situation.

Hank