Puerto Vallarta cruise port to Malecon by bus

bigdaddy930

I will be traveling to PV later this month and would appreciate if there is an update on the route from the cruise port to the Malecon by the city bus? Are transfers still required? Also are dollars still accepted for fare? Or possible to make a small purchase at the local OXXO store and receive pesos in return for the bus fare?

Thanks

We have been in PV a few days (our winter home) and have been on various buses a few times.  We have not taken a bus from the port area into town (we live in town) but can give you some current (as of today tips).  Every bus we have ridden is now using the electronic coin boxes (last year it was hit and miss).  This means the driver no longer makes change and they expect riders to drop appropriate coins (exact fare) into the box.  The fare between the port and town is still 10 Pesos (about 55 cents).  You can use coins (which go into a coin slot) or bills (they have a separate place for them) but you do not get change.  We have not seen anyone try to use US Dollars and suspect that most drivers will not accept dollars.  If they do, they would likely want $1 a passenger (which would be a real rip off) as they would lose money (at current exchange rates) if you tried to use a 1$ bill for two passengers.  What do locals and those of us who live here do when we need change?  We try not to get into that situation but it does happen.  We have witnessed several folks board a bus and then darn near beg some nearby passengers if they have change :).  That may or may not work.

The transfer situation appears to be less of a problem then we expected.  The buses clearly display destination info on their windshields.  So if you are trying to catch a bus from outside the port into town you would simply look for a bus that had "Centro" displayed in the window.  As always, cruisers should avoid buses that say "Tunel."   If the bus says "Centro" (the sign is usually inside the windshield) it should bring you into town without transfers.  If in doubt just ask the driver "Centro?" and hope he is honest :).  As to buses back to the port it is less of a problem, but you do need to heed those destination signs (on the windshield).  For the port it would best to only take a bus that said "Sam's" which is located across the street from the port.  Do not rely solely on "Walmart" since we have two Walmarts and one is not near the port.   A bus that has "Aeropuerto" and does not have "Tunel" would also work (you can sometimes see these buses in town at the usual bus stops).  

Just be aware that some of the buses that go to the port area might make a right turn (right before reaching Sams).  If that happens you get off ASAP and its still a short walk to the port.  Other buses will actually stop in front of the large parking lot for Sams and Walmart.

One last thing.  Most of us here in PV both gringos and Mexicans) are quite friendly and happy to help visitors.  If in doubt just ask....but , of course, do not rely on cruise ship passengers :).  

Hank

• Like 1

Just a quick update.  Early this morning I walked out to the cruise port (The Oosterdam docked before dawn) and did take a look at a few of the buses that stop out near the port.  Quite a few actually not only had "Centro" on their windshield but had added "Malecon" which is our famous promenade that runs along the sea in the downtown (Centro) area.  Buses with the Centro and or Malecon destinations do not require any kind of transfer and will get cruisers into town.  I also noticed that all of our old buses (some were in very bad shape) are finally gone and the current buses are actually pretty decent.

Hank

• Like 2

Thanks Hank! We are We will be there in a couple of weeks and always take the city bus. It feels like last time we gave them a US dollar which was enough for two of us, but maybe that won't work anymore. If we can't find the correct change in Pesos, I guess a dollar each is still a bargain!

Some of the buses from the port area will stop near the Sheraton Hotel and you have to transfer to another bus.   Some other buses go a little further towards town and end there.   The small paper  you get when you get on the  first bus can  be used for the second bus but it's normally not used as a transfer on other routes.  You won't have to wait very long for the second bus.  

Most of the Centro buses go straight into town and you won't need to transfer but 

it's not a big deal if you have to take a second bus because they run frequently. 

On 1/7/2020 at 3:03 PM, pinto18 said:

Thanks Hank! We are We will be there in a couple of weeks and always take the city bus. It feels like last time we gave them a US dollar which was enough for two of us, but maybe that won't work anymore. If we can't find the correct change in Pesos, I guess a dollar each is still a bargain!

I cannot guarantee that they will take that dollar (even $1 per person).  In the past week I have been on a few buses and was watching to see what would happen if somebody tried to use a dollar bill and I did not see one case.  Everyone was using Pesos.  Perhaps you will be the "experiment."  I find it hard to believe that a driver would toss you off a bus if you tried to pay with a $1 as Mexicans are generally very polite.  But we shall have to see.

Hank

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I cannot guarantee that they will take that dollar (even $1 per person).  In the past week I have been on a few buses and was watching to see what would happen if somebody tried to use a dollar bill and I did not see one case.  Everyone was using Pesos.  Perhaps you will be the "experiment."  I find it hard to believe that a driver would toss you off a bus if you tried to pay with a $1 as Mexicans are generally very polite.  But we shall have to see.

Hank

Not sure if I want to be the experiment....but yes I agree, I doubt they would kick us off! 

1 hour ago, pinto18 said:

Not sure if I want to be the experiment....but yes I agree, I doubt they would kick us off! 

Thought I would talk a bit more about exchange rates.  This evening we got a major ATM withdrawal from a Santander Bank machines and our exchange rate was 18.76 Pesos to the dollar.  That is a very good rate which is what we normally expect from bank ATMs.  The restaurant where we dined this evening (a high quality place) would have given us 17:1 if we had paid in US Dollars.  Some stores such as Walmart will actually give a pretty decent rate (if you use dollars) but most will not give you much more then 17:1 with some even worse.

For cruisers who do not plan on spending much money the lousy exchange rates are probably not very important (it will only cost you a few extra dollars).  But if you are planning on some substantial expenditures get Pesos (from ATMs) or use credit cards with zero foreign exchange fees.  Speaking of ATMs, there are some pretty good ATM cards (in the USA) that will not charge any fees.  The best deals are often found through large credit unions or smaller local banks.  Deal with the larger commercial banks and you will often be nailed with withdrawal fees.

Hank

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/8/2020 at 9:11 PM, Hlitner said:

Thought I would talk a bit more about exchange rates.  This evening we got a major ATM withdrawal from a Santander Bank machines and our exchange rate was 18.76 Pesos to the dollar.  That is a very good rate which is what we normally expect from bank ATMs.  The restaurant where we dined this evening (a high quality place) would have given us 17:1 if we had paid in US Dollars.  Some stores such as Walmart will actually give a pretty decent rate (if you use dollars) but most will not give you much more then 17:1 with some even worse.

For cruisers who do not plan on spending much money the lousy exchange rates are probably not very important (it will only cost you a few extra dollars).  But if you are planning on some substantial expenditures get Pesos (from ATMs) or use credit cards with zero foreign exchange fees.  Speaking of ATMs, there are some pretty good ATM cards (in the USA) that will not charge any fees.  The best deals are often found through large credit unions or smaller local banks.  Deal with the larger commercial banks and you will often be nailed with withdrawal fees.

Hank

Thanks for all the great PV info you always share.  Re: getting pesos, do you happen to know if there is either an ATM or a money exchange in the port building?  We didn't need pesos last time we were there so didn't pay attention.  

PS - you may have posted this previously but will taxis accept USD?

Edited by zelker

Just for comparison, an Uber comfortable for 2 passengers from the cruise ship terminal to Hotel Rosita will set you back less than 80 pesos (a little over $4).  You will know the exact rate before you agree to the pick up and it will be charged directly to your credit card so you do not have to worry about exchange rates.  A 20 peso tip is considered generous and a 40 peso tip will bring big smiles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Visigoth said:

Just for comparison, an Uber comfortable for 2 passengers from the cruise ship terminal to Hotel Rosita will set you back less than 80 pesos (a little over $4).  You will know the exact rate before you agree to the pick up and it will be charged directly to your credit card so you do not have to worry about exchange rates.  A 20 peso tip is considered generous and a 40 peso tip will bring big smiles.

But then we have to add $5 to have access to Verizon in Mexico for the day so once we add that to the Uber cost, it seems about the same as paying for a taxi.

1 hour ago, zelker said:

But then we have to add $5 to have access to Verizon in Mexico for the day so once we add that to the Uber cost, it seems about the same as paying for a taxi.

Actually we just returned from a 10 day trip to Puerto Vallarta and we used Uber on a daily basis.  Even though I am a Verizon customer I never payed them a cent for roaming data.  Since Wifi is prevalent in most areas, we simply accessed our Uber apps on Wifi connections.  There are certainly many Wifi cafes, shops, and restaurants close to the Cruise Terminal.  If we could not get a Wifi connection we would simply hail a taxi or catch the bus.  I would urge caution on buses unless you are certain of the route.  If you don't speak Spanish it can be difficult to select the right bus or recognize the correct stop.

Edited by Visigoth
misprint
  • Thanks 1

My mexican friends told me even change in Pesos in the bus  is sometimes difficult. So be prepared to have 10 Pesos per person per ride. US$ might be even more difficult now.

A couple of updates.  I am not sure about an ATM in the new terminal and folks need to be aware that there are 3 different piers...only one of which is even at the new terminal.  I am not aware of a discount bus fare for kids.  Yesterday I got on a bus that had Centro on the windshield and still had to transfer just before reaching town.  It was no big deal but annoying.

Hank

Ine commented on the HoHo pricing on another recent thread.  We have seen the double decker HoHo bus and it does look nice.  But I think there is only one of those buses which means it will not be efficient if you intend to hop off and on.  And the cost is petty steep by local standards unless you can negotiate a much lower fare.   If you are mobile I would suggest using the local bus, Uber or even a taxi to get into town and then explore the city on foot.

Hank

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Ine commented on the HoHo pricing on another recent thread.  We have seen the double decker HoHo bus and it does look nice.  But I think there is only one of those buses which means it will not be efficient if you intend to hop off and on.  And the cost is petty steep by local standards unless you can negotiate a much lower fare.   If you are mobile I would suggest using the local bus, Uber or even a taxi to get into town and then explore the city on foot.

Hank

The few times I saw the hopon off , it looked more or less empty to me. Indeed I wonder about the frequency too.

• 2 years later...

Thanks to all on this thread - we sail out in 2 weeks from today & although we have been to PV, Mazatlan & Cabo in the past we were mostly on tours through cruise lines - we’re going to brave it on our own thanks to all the great advice 😁

• 3 months later...

We arrived at PV port today. I took a Uber outside pv port at Shell gas station to Hotel Rosita cost us 70 pesos. On the way back to the cruise ship. We took a bus marked Sam club near the Woolrich store. I gave the bus driver a US$1 bill for two of us it was ok. He asked me to put the $1 into the cash slot. No problem. I opened up my google map app so I know where I am at. You won’t miss the stop you will see your cruise ship on your left get off at Sam club store. Very easy to take bus to and from Malecon.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, bigdaddy930 said:

We arrived at PV port today. I took a Uber outside pv port at Shell gas station to Hotel Rosita cost us 70 pesos. On the way back to the cruise ship. We took a bus marked Sam club near the Woolrich store. I gave the bus driver a US$1 bill for two of us it was ok. He asked me to put the $1 into the cash slot. No problem. I opened up my google map app so I know where I am at. You won’t miss the stop you will see your cruise ship on your left get off at Sam club store. Very easy to take bus to and from Malecon.

I think you might have gotten on the bus at Woolworth store.   I don't know of any store called Woolrich.