Disembarking in San Juan

janmitch

I’m beginning to think about flights for our October cruise from New York to San Juan.  It’s not quite time to see actual flights for us yet, but the trend seems to be the same for weeks before our actual dates.  So, here’s my question.  We arrive in San Juan on one day, overnight, then disembark the next day.  Will we be able to leave at 0 dark thirty on that second day to make a 7:00 am flight?  The next flight isn’t until the afternoon, practically when we could be arriving home!  Some of you have recently done this cruise and I’m really hoping you can guide me in my choices.  Any help would be appreciated!  TIA.

34 minutes ago, janmitch said:

I’m beginning to think about flights for our October cruise from New York to San Juan.  It’s not quite time to see actual flights for us yet, but the trend seems to be the same for weeks before our actual dates.  So, here’s my question.  We arrive in San Juan on one day, overnight, then disembark the next day.  Will we be able to leave at 0 dark thirty on that second day to make a 7:00 am flight?  The next flight isn’t until the afternoon, practically when we could be arriving home!  Some of you have recently done this cruise and I’m really hoping you can guide me in my choices.  Any help would be appreciated!  TIA.

Not having done this cruise, but from a practical traveler's perspective, have you given any thought about how you are getting to the airport at 12:30 in the morning?  Not too much traffic around any pier at that time.

If it were me. I would spend a nice leisurely morning in Old San Juan and take the afternoon flight.

Enjoy your cruising days.

We just did this itinerary. There was a note stating that the earliest departure from the ship was 4:30a as that was when customs would arrive. We met a couple with a 7:15 flight and I believe they had to meet at 4:00 or 4:15 for the shuttle. I did hear from them and their arrival was plenty early for the flight. 

We stayed over two nights in San Juan and took the 7:15 departure as well, but we didn’t have to leave that early as we had already cleared customs. 

Those who had later departures were allowed to hang out in a large room at the Sheraton across the street That Viking provided. 

Hope this helps

Thanks, Vineyard View.  I was hoping you’d chime in.  I followed you before your cruise this year!  So, when exactly, did you clear customs?  Did you do it on arrival day or the day you left the ship?  My concern is that the proper authorities won’t be there at 4:30.  We do have TSA precheck and Global Entry, so hopefully, our lines won’t be as long.

You clear the day you disembark.   We did not leave the ship until 9:00 because we were staying at a hotel. We have Global/TSA. I had checked with the couple we met on board how their experience went the morning of disembarking and catching the 7:15 flight so we could have an idea on how the airport was. She shared with me that it was easy, short lines at Global/TSA, and they had plenty of time using the Viking shuttle. I am pretty sure their group met at either 4:00 or 4:15 in the theatre. 

We also experienced a quick check in and security process two days later. We arrived at the airport at 5:45. 

I certainly may want to chat with you as the cruise gets closer.  We’re taking this cruise to acquaint ourselves with Viking and to just chill.  We’ve not been to Bermuda or Tortola, but have visited most of the other ports.  So, we just may be taking the Included excursions or some water tours.  Thanks again for your guidance. 😊

On 11/15/2019 at 9:29 AM, janmitch said:

I certainly may want to chat with you as the cruise gets closer.  We’re taking this cruise to acquaint ourselves with Viking and to just chill.  We’ve not been to Bermuda or Tortola, but have visited most of the other ports.  So, we just may be taking the Included excursions or some water tours.  Thanks again for your guidance. 😊

If you have questions about Bermuda, I can help. I run a rather large group on a social media site we’re not allowed to mention here. I have lots of contacts and what I can’t answer, I can find out. 

We did the West Indies Explorer in 2018. We booked that later flight around noon. We had a leisurely breakfast, then hung around in the Living Room until 9:00-9:30 am and we didn’t have to rush. Worked out well for us. 

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks, everyone, for your responses!  In order to be absolutely sure about what to do before purchasing airline tickets, I emailed TellUs@Viking.  I received a phone call the next day!!  I was told that they had sent the question to the appropriate department and I would hear back from them in a couple of days.  Well—a couple of HOURS later, I received a call from Jazz at TellUs who had an answer.  What a delight to talk with employees at a company who genuinely want to help!!  This is our first Viking Cruise and  I’m getting awfully good vibes about it.  Only time will tell, but this is looking good.  😁

Oh, by the way, since we overnight in San Juan, personnel will be available from about midnight on that second day to process our disembarkation.  Who knew?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, janmitch said:

Oh, by the way, since we overnight in San Juan, personnel will be available from about midnight on that second day to process our disembarkation.  Who knew?

Not sure I would count on that piece. You have to clear customs when you do final disembarkation. Last month customs was not available until 4:30a on the final morning. 

We all received a notice of this the day before  Just FYI 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2019 at 8:38 PM, Vineyard View said:

Not sure I would count on that piece. You have to clear customs when you do final disembarkation. Last month customs was not available until 4:30a on the final morning. 

We all received a notice of this the day before  Just FYI 

Thanks for your response!  I guess I can only go by what the powers that be tell us.  There are flights from SJU in the middle of the night, so maybe Viking has made a deal with Customs to be available!  We have a 7:00 am flight, so we won’t need to leave before 4:30 anyway. 😁