New Holland Cruiser--Movies?

JNAL2T

Hello,

I take a girls trip every January, we have sailed on Princess and Celebrity. This year we are trying the Zuiderdam Holland Ship for the first time. One of the favorite things our group enjoyed was movies under the star most evenings. Does the Zuiderdam have a theater? I looked at deck plans and wasn't able to tell. Thanks for any help!

40 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

It is called the Screening Room on deck 3.

Has about 30 seats.

If you have your heart set on seeing a movie in the Screening Room, you need to get there EARLY - especially if you have more than 2-3 people who want to view the film.

First movie we went to see there, we arrived at the theater about 20 minutes before the start and there wasn't a single seat available.  Next time we tried, we opted to go about 45-50 minutes early...and there were three seats left.

On 11/14/2019 at 6:21 AM, Krazy Kruizers said:

It is called the Screening Room on deck 3.

Has about 30 seats.

She is going in January, after drydock that will turn the screening room into Microsoft Studio, according to what I heard on a recent cruise.

They did show some films in the Mainstage area.  

14 minutes ago, JNAL2T said:

I just saw they are changing the screening room into Microsoft Studio..disappointing!

Yes, on Vista Class ships, the movie theater is slated for other uses.  The only movies you'll see are on the TV.  Most of the cabins have been upgraded with newer TVs with On Demand Movies.  If you want Movies Under the Stars, cruise on either Koningsdam or Nieuw Statendam.  The main pool area on the Lido Deck has a giant screen where they show movies nightly, different movie each night.  The New York Deli is close by (on balcony overlooking Lido Deck) and serves free snacks during the movie such as popcorn, soft pretzels, chicken wings, nachos, made-to-order pizza, and any number of sandwiches (ask for extra meat).

If the movies are an important part of your cruising experience, you should consider these newer Pinnacle Class ships, rather than the older Vista or Signature Class ships.

I will say we enjoyed the movies on demand feature on the stateroom TV.  It was especially helpful for my husband on the first full day into evening...the seas had me down for the count and by 7pm I decided I didn't want to go to dinner and just wanted to go to sleep.  He grabbed a bite in the Lido and by 8pm was back in the room with me, enjoying some movies he hadn't yet seen while I slept.

On the day we packed to go home, we put another movie on to keep us entertained during the task.  Worked out very well.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2019 at 9:35 PM, sevenseasnomad said:

Yes, on Vista Class ships, the movie theater is slated for other uses.  The only movies you'll see are on the TV.  Most of the cabins have been upgraded with newer TVs with On Demand Movies.  If you want Movies Under the Stars, cruise on either Koningsdam or Nieuw Statendam.  The main pool area on the Lido Deck has a giant screen where they show movies nightly, different movie each night.  The New York Deli is close by (on balcony overlooking Lido Deck) and serves free snacks during the movie such as popcorn, soft pretzels, chicken wings, nachos, made-to-order pizza, and any number of sandwiches (ask for extra meat).

If the movies are an important part of your cruising experience, you should consider these newer Pinnacle Class ships, rather than the older Vista or Signature Class ships.

thanks, I will definitively look into other options in the future

On 11/17/2019 at 6:35 PM, sevenseasnomad said:

Just back from 39 days on the NS and 26 on the Koningsdam.  The "movie snacks" (other than popcorn) were only served during the 9 or 10:00 movie -- we didn't mind, but anyone looking for the other snacks at the 7:00 movie would be disappointed.  A few times we got pizza to eat during the movie.  🙂  

We felt that the noise from the splashing in the pool and loud voices didn't make for a good experience.  Finally after the first couple weeks they turned up the volume on the NS, but it still was a little hard to hear with all the noise all around. I missed the indoor, climate-controlled theater. 

On 11/20/2019 at 9:39 PM, slabeaume said:

We're disappointed to hear the screening room in the Zuiderdam will be removed after dry dock.    I was hoping they would at least show some on the Lido screen. 

Zuiderdam does not have a Lido screen.  

There many movies (at least 100) available via the in room TV.  Many are recent releases.