Just back From Freedom

md80fan

Just got back from a nice 7 day on Freedom. This is not so much a review as just some quick points.

First getting on the ship had to be the fastest ever. If it took more than 5 minutes then maybe 6 tops. San Juan was nice as they have a bag drop off area for a group of floors. We were on deck 7 so he dropped us off at 7. There was no other passengers there and we put the bag at the desk and walked into terminal. We walked right up to an agent who asked like 2 questions took a picture and gave us the actual sea pass card. She said they already started boarding so we walked right onto the ship. We must have been dropped at the terminal at 1130 and on the ship by 1135. Our family members who did not travel think we lied to them about how fast we got on. Also not sure if this has to do with the way they pre sort bags in San Juan with the drop off by deck numbers but it seems like bags were delivered to staterooms rather quickly.

The windjammer (especially for breakfast) is just way too crowded. There were times you could not get a seat. My parents on a couple of days walked out and went back several times until they could find a seat. We never had a problem like this on Harmony or Symphony ( I am not saying they are also not crowded just not like this). One morning my parents heard them making announcements to please finish your meals and leave so other guests can sit down. My point is Windjammer is just not big enough.

They also did not have many places to get a glass of water ( I know small point to complain about). On Harmony and Symphony there were water stations almost everywhere but on Freedom trying to track down a glass of water was tough especially if the promenade was crowded with a party or event. Not everyone wants a soda or drink but just a nice glass of water. 

The balcony on Freedom seemed bigger and the divider seemed to open more (Than on Harmony or Symphony) which gave the feeling of even more room. The balcony just felt bigger as I do not know the actual square footage of any of the 3 ships I have been on.

Overall it was a nice cruise and nice to see some of the other ports like St. Lucia and Barbados.

During the breakfast hours you can also take your WJ food into Giovanni's ... During our B2B on Freedom not many cruiser's new to do this and it was usually empty...also if in a GS or above you can use Chop's.

Also any bar will give you a glass of ice water too.

Edited by Ashland

I think I will add a couple more points.

Our cruise was port intensive. We did 5 ports back to back with only the last day a sea day. It seemed like we were always on the go, getting off and walking around the island. I kind of missed my sea days to sit back and relax by the pool.

They did offer a drink card on the last sea day. I believe it was 88.xx for 10 drinks. My guess is with so many ports earlier in the week not many people bought the drink package. 

Barbados was interesting as the pier we parked at had this little train that would come and pick people up to save the walk to the port area. It was funny trying to watch him turn around in the little round about at the end of the dock. Not sure how they made such a tight turn. 

It was a good time and will maybe have to try the ABC run next out of San Juan or see if there is an 8 day out of South Florida to the ABC islands. 

1 hour ago, md80fan said:

I think I will add a couple more points.

Our cruise was port intensive. We did 5 ports back to back with only the last day a sea day. It seemed like we were always on the go, getting off and walking around the island. I kind of missed my sea days to sit back and relax by the pool.

They did offer a drink card on the last sea day. I believe it was 88.xx for 10 drinks. My guess is with so many ports earlier in the week not many people bought the drink package. 

Barbados was interesting as the pier we parked at had this little train that would come and pick people up to save the walk to the port area. It was funny trying to watch him turn around in the little round about at the end of the dock. Not sure how they made such a tight turn. 

It was a good time and will maybe have to try the ABC run next out of San Juan or see if there is an 8 day out of South Florida to the ABC islands. 

10 drinks on the last sea day? You'd have your work cut out for you!! LOL

We're not as seasoned as others around here, but the ABC is our favorite itinerary. Booked again next year already.

3 hours ago, md80fan said:

In looking at the compass it looks like.

Schooner bar was  piano bar entertainment with Raul

Bull and bear was Guitar music with Brendan

Day 3 said Schooner Bar from 9 to 1045 was classic melodies with Voytek

Did you go see any of these entertainers? What type of music did Raul and Brendan play?

What were the shows and how good were they in the main theater?

We board on Dec 1.

4 hours ago, md80fan said:

In looking at the compass it looks like.

Schooner bar was  piano bar entertainment with Raul

Bull and bear was Guitar music with Brendan

Day 3 said Schooner Bar from 9 to 1045 was classic melodies with Voytek

Thank you!

We usually try to go see the various entertainers and shows. However with this itinerary being so port heavy we were usually tired after a day of walking. We usually came back to the ship and cleaned up and then went to dinner. After we would go relax on the balcony and did not go to any shows. We did go see the band play at the pool a couple of times in the late afternoon early evening but that was about it. If we had more sea days mixed in we would have seen the shows. My parents did go down and watch one of the bands play at night in the promenade not sure if it was a 50/60's music or 70's as I did not pay attention.