Question about Deluxe Verandah Cabins

DenNJill

I was able to upgrade to plexiglass, but it wasn't even close to $400 pp (Hubby would have NEVER gone for that! LOL!) It was just over $200 {total} for the upgrade.

I hope you'all don't think I was "whining" about the steel railing that wasn't my intention ... I know I'll be having a swell time as well! ;) The thought of pure R&R with my wonderful hubby sounds devine!

I don't think any of us even considered the possibility that you might be whining. If you don't ask the question, you'll never know the answer until you actually are in the situation. Then it might be too late to change cabins.

This will be a very special celebration for both of you. There might still be glitches, but you are absolutely entitled to try to make it as perfect as possible.

Hope you have a fabulous time. Be sure to come back and share your impressions with us.

DenNJill, maybe you don't have your "signatures" engaged, but everyone is referring to my signature where I say "Wine a bit, you'll feel better". It's just a little joke of mine since you do see a little whining around here from time to time.;)

They aren't referring to you "whining" at all!!! Besides, you weren't!!!:D I'm glad you were able to get the plexiglass since it's what you wanted. Either way, you'll have a wonderful cruise. I envy you ... haven't done Alaska!

Thanks everyone,

I will be staying in cabin 4016, upper promenade deck on the Zuiderdam leaving April 8th. I was concerned about the steel railing but overall the reviews are not that bad. The price was certainly right for my family of four. I have paid more without a balcony on other cruise lines. I imagine this will give me a taste of the verandah (balcony) life and I probably will never go back. I did look at trying to upgrade my cabin but it appears the ship is pretty full. No problem, the count down has begun and we are looking forward to it. Thanks again,

• 2 weeks later...

One thing about the plexiglass no one has mentioned yet.....

it's all about how CLEAN the plexi is!

HAL keeps the ship washed down, windows included. I've sailed others that I might as well have had an inside cabin because we couldn't sit and look out for anything. When we asked about having it cleaned, we got "the look".

We took a wet towel after it, but only made it worse.

We are booked on the Westerdam for Alaska in June. I am so looking forward to sitting on my veranda (VA) aft on the Rotterdam deck just knowing that the view will be as good as from the crows nest (well, almost)!!!!!

Happy Cruising....Valerie

We have booked a VF cabin on HAL's Zuiderdam and I am sort of panicking because we have always had a balcony with a plexiglass railing and just never thought about asking when booking with HAL (this is our first with HAL). When booking a guarantee, how likely are you to get an upgrade? I'm pretty sure that all that's left are some pretty pricey suites on our particular cruise. Anyone have any idea? I emailed our TA to see if she could check into moving us but I'm not holding my breath. I think this ship is pretty much sold out for this cruise. I guess it's not the end of the world but I wish they would tell you and give you the option of a different cabin when booking. I didn't even think about the silly railing.

• 2 weeks later...

When do you cruise in June and what cat did you get?This is our first cruise with Holland America and we are really excited. It looks like the cabins are larger than the ones we had on Carnival.

We cruise on June 4 on the Westerdam. Took a SZ guarantee.

Happy cruising

When booking a guarantee, how likely are you to get an upgrade?

I had originally booked a VF cabin too - on the Oosterdam for this Sat's Mexican Riviera cruise. When I realized it did not have a plexiglass railing, I opted for a guarantee VE. We ended up with a VA - a little more forward than I like but not too bad - & it only cost us $50 pp.

We are on Oosterdam in April. We are in cabin 5065, category VF on the Veranda deck. As nearly as I can tell from the deck plans on HAL's website, this cabin has a plexiglas railing. At least there is no black diamond next to the cabin on the deck plan. As I look at the picture of the Oosterdam that is the wallpaper on my computer, it appears that the only cabins with the solid steel railings are on the Upper Promenade, forward of the lifeboats. According to the deck plan, these cabins are all in category VF. But it is not true that all VF cabins had solid railings.

I've thought about upgrading to a higher V-something category, but I don't really see any that would be preferable to the one we have. We're about midway between the glass elevators and the point where the deck narrows, so we're not too far from being perfectly amidship. Its always been my understanding that midship is where you will experience the least fore-aft rocking motion.

The only Vx category cabins that might be better are the aft-facing ones, with their very large verandas. I checked a few months ago, and the price difference was about $150 pp. and I was concerned about ship motion, being at the extreme end of the ship. Those huge verandas are intriguing, though. Its probably too late to upgrade, anyway.

Paul Noble

Archived