Question about Deluxe Verandah Cabins

DenNJill

:) Hello! This is my first post ... I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks now as we have just booked our first major cruise (took a Disney cruise years ago) to Alaska (Inside Passage) for June (celebrating 25th anniversary). From reading other posts, I've realized our cabin (Upper Promanade) will have steel a verandah railing and now I'm not so sure that's the route I want to take. Wondering what the feeling is about a "VA" cabin (compared to a VF category we are currently at)- and what if it is at the far (back) end of the ship? {I KNOW that's not the proper "lingo" to use ... :o!}.

Thanks in advance for all of your input!!

I'm sure as the time draws near I'll have other questions, but I've already learned a ton just from browsing through the past posts! :D

Hi,

Welcome to the HAL board.

You didn't say which ship you have booked but I'm assuming it's one of the Vista class. (Zuiderdam Oosterdam, Westerdam).

Not having been in a category below B on HAL, I can't speak to the steel railing. Is is just the railing, and is it solid where you can't see the ocean, is what I'd ask.

We are familiar with the cabins with plexiglass veranda railings which are not an in-the-hull cabin variety.

If I had to stand in order to see anything from my veranda it wouldn't seem much like a veranda to me. If this is the case, I think I'd go for the A or B.

Perhaps someone who has been in this type of setting could give you a better answer, I just wanted to say "Hi" and tell you that you'll love HAL ships and the HAL experience.

GN

Welcome DenNJill!

Like GN said, if you have to stand to see out, it's not much of a verandah. All the verandahs above the Upper Pomenade have the plexiglass so you can see out while seated. The VA & VB's, IMHO are the best choices for views and verandahs (Except for the suites!)

Thank you for the information and the warm welcome;) - I'm on the phone as we speak, upgrading to an A category - AFT on Upper Veranda (Westerdam)...

This sight will certainly be one I will be visiting often - it's so full of great information and friendly folks!

Veendam - all verandahs have the plexiglass.

Only the Vista class ships have several cabins with the steel railings.

KK,

The Veendam does not have plexiglass, the panels are solid.

The last time I was on the Statendam and Ryndam, the panels were also solid. I would think the Maasdam has solid also since the ship is the same class.

Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Volendam, and Zaandam have plexiglass.

Well - I did upgrade, however, not to a VA - we are at the VC level - aft/portside. I checked on the HAL website and there is nothing noted about steel railing so I think we are good to go.

I've also been reading up about the Pinnacle and think I'll put a reservation in for the 13th of June which is our 25th anniversary. I cannot wait and am already counting the days down!! :)

Hi again.

We celebrated our 25th on HAL's Rotterdam with a Renewal of Vows ceremony.

It's a classy occasion with a champagne and hors d'ouerves reception, corsages included, ceremony, and a leatherette photo album including the reception pix. We invited 3 guests at $12.50 pp. Cost runs approx. $129. It was well worth it. If you plan your Pinnacle dinner after the ceremony it'll be a great romantic evening. Ceremony is usually at 7:15 on a formal night. I'm saying usually because our friends' were scheduled on an informal night. They chose to dress up anyway.

If you're interested you can schedule with HAL's ships' services prior to sailing.

Again, Welcome,

GN

"All the verandahs above the Upper Pomenade have the plexiglass so you can see out while seated. "

We are in cabin 4185 on the Upper Promenade Deck. Does it have a plexiglass rail?

Only the 28 V staterooms all the way forward have the steel railings, and are so noted on the deckplans.

Your aft corner suite has a fabulous view - you'll be able to see the wake from your bed as you fall asleep...

WhooHooo! 3000th Post!

:D

All you need to do is to check the deck plan in the brochure or on line. If the cabin is marked with a 'diamond' symbol then is for sure has the steel verandal railing vs the plexiglass one. You cannot see much of anything unless you are standing up. Most of these steel railing cabins are in the VF & VH category.

VB cabins are nice as they are amidships where this is less motion. DOn't know why HAL put the top VA cabins forward and aft.

The balcony rails must be very high not to be able to see over the ones that are steel except when standing. I have been on ships with that type of rail and we could see out just fine. Of course the steel rails aren't quite as nice as the plexiglass ones but I will still enjoy my cabin if HAL decides to assign me one of those "undesirable" cabins. :eek:

We have always been close to the midship elevator, which by the way is in a "lobby area" not in the same corridor as the cabins, and never noticed any problems with noise or loud conversations.

If, however, you're near the steward's utility area or the laundromat, you may hear extraneous noise.

The upper decks in my experience are usually pretty quiet. We've never been bothered by cabins around us. On several occasions our neighbors used their veranda to make cell phone calls and if the door was open we could hear them, not a problem, though.

HAL ships are not noisy.

GN

Our very first balcony cabin had a steel railing on the Maasdam because we were toward the bow. I guess I was so excited to have a verandah, it didn't bother me a bit. In fact there were advantages to it in that it was far more private ... the side panel went from floor to ceiling.

DenNJill, welcome to the HAL boards. This is a wonderful source of information and a fun group of people to get to know.:)

:) Thanks for the info on the elevators - I will pass it along to my sister!

:D I believe I am hooked on this site, as I find myself coming back and checking it every chance I get ... lots of great info and (as Heather said) lots of friendly folks!!

Thanks for your encouraging words about the verandahs with the steel railings. It seems that most posters on this board seem to indicate they are VERY undesirable. :cool:

Personally, I can't see paying 400pp more just to ensure we get plexiglass. On the New Noordam, which we have booked, the VH gurantees are that much cheaper than the VE and VD cats which have the plexiglass. :confused:

Its not like our verandah is the only place on the ship to see the sea. There are water views everywhere. :)

So happy to chat with you again. You were here in 2003 when we cruised on The Veendam and The Zuiderdam. You are a staple here. :)

Thanks for your words of encouragement on an upgrade. Who knows? It would be fabulous but I plan to have a great time regardless. :D

Dsawyer, it was my first time with a balcony and we were in heaven. In fact I came back here on the HAL boards (I was brand new here then back in 2003) and posted that it was the Maasdam's best kept secret! No one responded to me probably thinking I was nuts.

But I saw the little panels between all the other balconies and I thought ours was far superior. It also seemed a bit larger. I never even thought about the fact that of course the plexiglass would give us a better view of the ocean. I stood at the rail and enjoyed the view and then sat and enjoyed my privacy.

There are a lot of ways you can think up to enjoy that!;)

Archived