Bathtubs

clairol

6 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Maybe you are thinking of the R ships??

It would be  a huge undertaking to remove them on the O class ships

IMO

That's what I was thinking! We were on Marina (last week) when someone told me this... I love the bathtub - it's one of the reasons (for me) to choose to cruise on the O class ships when I actually prefer the size of the R ships. 

Edited by clairol

I understand the move to showers from tubs but management is ignoring those of us who sometimes NEED a tub.  I've said this often before ...

When we were on Regatta in November 2005 in an OS (a last minute upsell from a PH) I had torn my meniscus the day before boarding.  I really needed that jacuzzi in the room on that cruise.  We had previously booked a VS on Insignia for June 2006 and I still need a good soak for my knees -- I'd had knee surgery the previous February.  I was fortunate on that November '05 cruise that one of our group of private tourers was a chiropractor and he was generous enough to give me treatments (gratis) every day.  I don't know how well I could have done on that cruise without his help.

These days I don't really need the tub, but I still want the option.  When we've been in OC and VS cabins on Marina/Riviera we did have the option of a tub.  After a long day of walking I still need that good soak.  A shower, no matter how wonderful it is, doesn't have the same benefit.

Another point:  not sure how crucial this is at all!  But U.S. passengers do tend to prefer showers.  But the British don't -- at least the English couple who lived in our cooperative building in NYC for a number of years insisted on a tub.  I have assumed they were in the (British) majority.  I could be wrong!  I have no idea how other nationalities feel about tub vs. shower.

A further point:  arguments about safety in a tub on a cruise ship, especially in poor weather, are well taken.  But I was in the new vast shower on Sirena when it was new and we encountered a hurricane heading for Bermuda.  There was a sudden swell and I was very fortunate to be able to grab the handle bar in time.  So those large showers aren't necessarily any safer than a tub in those situations.

Mura, We have always had a PH suite.  This cruise we decided to try an OS.  It sounds silly, but did the enjoy the OS?

We were perfectly happy with the PH, but my husband may need to spend more time in the suite, so I thought it was

worth the upgrade.

Joan

Our only experience with an OS was on Regatta in 2005 and we loved it.  It was also necessary (serendipity that we had it at the time) because I was using a wheelchair much of the time.  In general we love the extra space in the top suites.  I wouldn't have been able to get around a smaller cabin on that particular cruise.  On Marina and Riviera we've most often been in an OC, twice in a VS and once in a PH.

Is a PH "good enough" for us?  Sure it is.  And we were quite happy in a standard veranda cabin on Nautica a few years ago. But it's very easy to get spoiled when you experience the top suites.  They aren't for everybody, that's for sure -- read the comments of people who aren't interested.  It's not always a matter of cost either.

9 minutes ago, newlondon said:

It will be very difficult for Marina to be refurbed in May of 2020 as the whole month is scheduled. We are on the 5/1 cruise which has been sold out for over a year.

maybe someone forgot  they  were going to Refurb her in May 🤔

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/media/2019/OCEANIA+CRUISES+UNVEILS+A+REMASTERED+RIVIERA+-+Ship+Features+a+New+Bar+and+Lounge%2c+Next-Generation+Owner’s+Suites%2c+Enhanced+Suites+and+Staterooms+and+More+/

There is  an 8 day gap  from the April 22 to May 1  ????

• Thanks 1