Live Trip Report Pre Egypt Post Ms Antares

PatriciaF

Darn!  We go in March 2020. I signed up for all the excursions except for Hot Air Balloon. ( I’ve done that before) Coptic tour, Light show and the market and dinner tour. Has anyone taken any of these except for balloon ride?  I am guessing I can add them while on board if I want right?  We had signed up for the light show but had heard it was not that great and we will be on the Abu Simbal tour that day so that’s a long day by itself. Any thoughts?  

1 hour ago, Little Rascal said:

Darn!  We go in March 2020. I signed up for all the excursions except for Hot Air Balloon. ( I’ve done that before) Coptic tour, Light show and the market and dinner tour. Has anyone taken any of these except for balloon ride?  I am guessing I can add them while on board if I want right?  We had signed up for the light show but had heard it was not that great and we will be on the Abu Simbal tour that day so that’s a long day by itself. Any thoughts?  

We did the market and dinner tour..it was okay..but we were adjusted to the time as we had been in Jerusalem before arriving in Egypt.  Light show we didn’t do..most of the ship did go.  Good reviews by the people we talked to that went.  We do the Coptic tour tomorrow.  The only chance to add was before the dinner on the second night..everything paid for but the balloon that night.  Paid aboard ship for the balloon.  We didn’t leave for the airport until 730 am for Abu Simbel..butconcerned about the long day and the mixed reviews too.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2019 at 1:12 PM, PatriciaF said:

Sitting in the family room awaiting our car service to LAX for our flight to Tel Aviv.  We are arriving two days early and staying across the street from the Hotel King David at the YMCA Three Arches Hotel--then moving across the street Thanksgiving Day.

If you have questions you would like answered, please let me know so I can make sure I get the info for you.

Thank you for the diary

we leave December 27, spending two nights in Munich then to Cario on the 30th

Ms Antares

this is great information 

25 minutes ago, nursiepooh said:

Thank you for the diary

we leave December 27, spending two nights in Munich then to Cario on the 30th

Ms Antares

this is great information 

Have a wonderful trip.  Our guide Amal, prefers the Antares to the Ra.  The staterooms are bigger, the public areas are bigger, and the crew is happier.

• 4 weeks later...

Here are all the Viking Dailies and the pre trip to Jerusalem and post trip to Jordan.

I have included the pages that included flight times and marked the one to Jordan.  We got a breakfast box from the hotel to take with us.

My scanner wasn't cooperating this morning--so it have it in two PDF files.

Last Day Egypt to Jordan.PDF Jerusalem until Next to Last Day Egyp.PDF

• 1 year later...

Hello PatriciaF,  Just ran across your posting while researching for our first trip to Egypt.  We are very interested in a cruise on the MS Antares, but we haven’t been able to find any reviews on the ship itself.  We noticed how many other companies have the same itinerary for a lot less money.  We’re trying to determine whether or not the difference in our experience would be worth the difference in price.  We are hoping you’d be willing to share thoughts about the food, the service, and the cleanliness of the rooms and the rest of the ship.  Were they just “good enough” or “totally awesome” and why.  Were you happy with the value of your overall experience and what you paid for it?  We’d appreciate any information you are willing to share.  Thanks...

On 12/5/2019 at 3:26 AM, PatriciaF said:

Now in Luxor on the Antares

Beautiful, clean, ship.  While I do prefer the Scandinavian look, this ship is beautiful.  Our guide was do excited that that her favorite head chef was back on board.  We are in cabin 309.  See pictures. There is a minibar in the room and all beverages will be replenished every day 

20191205_125638.jpg

20191205_125622.jpg

20191205_125450.jpg

20191205_125504.jpg

20191205_125429.jpg

20191205_125446.jpg

20191205_125611.jpg

20191205_125617.jpg

20191205_125531.jpg

20191205_125543.jpg

Thank you for sharing. I have a question re: your room. The Sun Deck is right above you. Did you hear people walking above you, loungers being dragged around, noise coming from the pool deck?

Edited by gcrsnaka
Added comment.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/9/2021 at 12:26 AM, gcrsnaka said:

Thank you for sharing. I have a question re: your room. The Sun Deck is right above you. Did you hear people walking above you, loungers being dragged around, noise coming from the pool deck?

No, noise from above at all.  Sorry haven't been on Cruise Critic to answer questions.

On 5/5/2021 at 6:24 PM, RetTrav888 said:

Hello PatriciaF,  Just ran across your posting while researching for our first trip to Egypt.  We are very interested in a cruise on the MS Antares, but we haven’t been able to find any reviews on the ship itself.  We noticed how many other companies have the same itinerary for a lot less money.  We’re trying to determine whether or not the difference in our experience would be worth the difference in price.  We are hoping you’d be willing to share thoughts about the food, the service, and the cleanliness of the rooms and the rest of the ship.  Were they just “good enough” or “totally awesome” and why.  Were you happy with the value of your overall experience and what you paid for it?  We’d appreciate any information you are willing to share.  Thanks...

We find that Viking is a bit more expensive than others--but we did the pre-trip to Jerusalem and the post-trip to Jordan.  We had sailed with Viking before.  We looked at the itinerary for a few other s--but most didn't offer the pre and post trip or if they did, when we were sailing we would have been in one of the first offerings.  So--Viking with its many decades of experience in the area was the winner.