MedallionNet on Grand Princess

denmarks

Grand Princess has announced that MedallionNet internet is now available for a flat fee. Are the free minutes of slow internet still available for Platinum and above? I only have to check email once in a while. I do not need streaming.

3 hours ago, denmarks said:

Grand Princess has announced that MedallionNet internet is now available for a flat fee. Are the free minutes of slow internet still available for Platinum and above? I only have to check email once in a while. I do not need streaming.

On Grand last month, you could choose unlimited-minutes for a fee or limited-minutes as a Captain Circle perk.  Both ran at the same streaming-video speed.

However, YMMV.  There is a "market disrupter" -- SES's "O3b" satellites provide uplinks to ships at a much cheaper price so Grand was able to buy more bandwidth than in years past.  But those satellites can only handle only a limited number of ships and are not reachable from all popular cruise areas.  Our cruise snagged one of the limited O3b slots, your cruise might not.  We stayed within the O3b footprint, your cruise might not.

Princess has been ...floundering for over a year on how to market internet afloat on a one-size-fits-all basis when their costs and available uplink bandwidth varies so widely.

6 hours ago, denmarks said:

Yes but not able to connect with Google regularly until after 9.30pm or before 7am on Android phones.

Edited by grapau27