Dubai

Mckwonghie

Does anyone have a recommendation for staying at a modestly priced hotel in Dubai that is close to the cruise terminal?
We are taking a Celebrity cruise in Jan/20 

and have never been to Dubai so wanted a few extra days to see the city.
Any recommendations would be helpful

On 11/26/2019 at 5:15 AM, Mckwonghie said:

Does anyone have a recommendation for staying at a modestly priced hotel in Dubai that is close to the cruise terminal?
We are taking a Celebrity cruise in Jan/20 

and have never been to Dubai so wanted a few extra days to see the city.
Any recommendations would be helpful

Howard Johnson by Wyndham Bur Dubai.

I wonder why you would want to be close to the cruise terminal. Ports are not in the most scenic area of town. Cabs are plentiful and cheap and the sky train is efficient and cheap. It’s very easy to get around.  I would pick a nicer area. JMHO.  
Hotels in Dubai are superb, luxurious with great service.  I recommend the Jumeriah group of hotels., but that does depend on your budget.  I would advise against staying on the Palm. 

Edited by little britain

4 hours ago, Mckwonghie said:

You have a very good point. I was thinking that being close to the cruise terminal would somehow make it easier on the day of boarding.

I will look into the Jumeriah group of hotels you recommended.
Thank you so much!

Just so you know.  All the suggestions you have been provided are good.  It all depends on when you say you have a few days so you can see the city.  Well, depends if you're talking about the entire city or mostly the newer parts.

If you want to immerse yourself in the traditional part of the city I would suggest staying over near the cultural village, museum and fort area which is near the creek and souks.  The creek is where all your day to day trade and activity occurs between Dubai/Diera the older city.  I'm partial to the older part of Dubai. It's just more authentic.  I actually like staying at the Arabian Courtyard and Spa Hotel.  However, right now I'm staying out near the airport to collect some hotel points/status and will be catching a cruise in 2 weeks on MSC.

However, if you want to embrace a more luxurious part of Dubai, and pamper yourself, as the last poster indicated, the Jumeriah hotels would be something to look at away from the the older part of Dubai.

No matter where you stay, you'll have fun pack days that will wear you out.  Enjoy your cruise and Dubai.

2 hours ago, Skoobdo said:

Just so you know.  All the suggestions you have been provided are good.  It all depends on when you say you have a few days so you can see the city.  Well, depends if you're talking about the entire city or mostly the newer parts.

If you want to immerse yourself in the traditional part of the city I would suggest staying over near the cultural village, museum and fort area which is near the creek and souks.  The creek is where all your day to day trade and activity occurs between Dubai/Diera the older city.  I'm partial to the older part of Dubai. It's just more authentic.  I actually like staying at the Arabian Courtyard and Spa Hotel.  However, right now I'm staying out near the airport to collect some hotel points/status and will be catching a cruise in 2 weeks on MSC.

However, if you want to embrace a more luxurious part of Dubai, and pamper yourself, as the last poster indicated, the Jumeriah hotels would be something to look at away from the the older part of Dubai.

No matter where you stay, you'll have fun pack days that will wear you out.  Enjoy your cruise and Dubai.

I absolutely agree with you.  Unless people ask for recommendations in a specific area, or for information about a specific hotel, I always try to steer them towards properties in and around the Creek too as that was central Dubai when I first came out here and it's still my preferred location!!!!  In addition to the Arabian Courtyard Hotel & Spa there are now two of the Jumeirah Group's newer second tier properties in a similar location - the Al Seef Heritage Hotel, the Zabeel House Al Seef and Zabeel House Mini.  Across the Creek on Deira side there is the Dubai Sheraton Hotel & Towers, Hilton Dubai Creek and the Al Bandar Rotana, all very nice hotels and easily accessible from the airport and only a short drive to the cruise terminal - and more reasonable than the Downtown area hotels...

Anne...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jayayeff said:

......Across the Creek on Deira side there is the Dubai Sheraton Hotel & Towers, Hilton Dubai Creek and the Al Bandar Rotana, all very nice hotels and easily accessible from the airport and only a short drive to the cruise terminal - and more reasonable than the Downtown area hotels...

Anne...

Hilton Dubai Creek is on my list too. They have very good reviews and good upgrades too for honors members.  Thanks for the info on the other tier hotels under Jumeriah.  Had no idea.  Will look into those for future trips. Much appreciated.

Because my cruise includes an overnight in Dubai, I have decided to aim for the best of both worlds.  Have splurged for a fountain/Burj Khalifa view room at the Ramada Downtown Dubai for arrival night. Lazy easy way to see the night sites, do the top of the Burj and a quick walk through of the Mall, then on to the port for check in.  I think that is all I can take of modern luxe Dubai. Then I can focus on  the 'old' part for the next day and a half before night sailing. Otherwise, I was planning on one of the Jumeriah second tier properties.

3 hours ago, mef_57 said:

Because my cruise includes an overnight in Dubai, I have decided to aim for the best of both worlds.  Have splurged for a fountain/Burj Khalifa view room at the Ramada Downtown Dubai for arrival night. Lazy easy way to see the night sites, do the top of the Burj and a quick walk through of the Mall, then on to the port for check in.  I think that is all I can take of modern luxe Dubai. Then I can focus on  the 'old' part for the next day and a half before night sailing. Otherwise, I was planning on one of the Jumeriah second tier properties.

"A quick walk through the Mall"  Good luck with that🤣

Enjoy your hotel view!  Sounds great.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Skoobdo said:

"A quick walk through the Mall"  Good luck with that🤣

Is that due to size, temptation to shop or added features? A review of the maps shows I could be in trouble. Ground floor is more than enough. I don't shop and as long as I can avoid Tiffany's or Cartier and their bling, I am thinking of entering near the Burj, heading past the aquarium, out near the waterfall, then walk around the fountain back to the hotel. Of course, that depends on the temperature outside and whether I can even find the doors into the place. All seem to be from the parkades from the poor maps I can find. Of course, I could just be optimistic or naive. I don't think I have quite grasped the size of the mall or city.🤔

Thanks.

"Is that due to size, temptation to shop or added features?"

d: all of the above

primarily the size alone.  I've been there numerous of times and haven't seen every shop in that mall yet.  For most people who live in cold climates, it would be considered hot there in April.  I've lived throughout  Arizona and southern California desert, so I'm use to 132 degrees it gets on the Colorado River down near Yuma, Arizona and Winterhaven, El Centro and Imperial sand dunes in California.  Crazy hot.  But, I think you'll manage.

FYI - If you like jewelry, you'll be in for a surprise when you visit old Town and the gold souks, etc.  Have fun!

On 12/1/2019 at 8:49 PM, Skoobdo said:

FYI - If you like jewelry, you'll be in for a surprise when you visit old Town and the gold souks, etc.  Have fun!

Well, I was planning to hold back on the bling until I see the gold souk. It's all window shopping anyway, but I prefer the more unique (I hope) designs from the souks.

As to temps, it is going to be a drastic difference from early Spring to 'our' summer temps. But I believe the humidity doesn't hit until May in Dubai, so there is hope. Seems to keep  under 105F for our dates.

We are finishing a cruise in Dubai next November (starts in October in Athens) on Azamara and I have been looking at flights. Currently I have flights on hold for a week and I am trying to make my mind up if I want to stay a few days in Dubai or just head to the airport and get back to a fairly cold Scotland and get back to work. The cruise is 17 nights and we are travelling to Athens the day before. 

I suspect that a day or so is not going to make much difference but I need to make my mind up by the 11th for the flights. I am tending towards just heading home from the ship as we will have been away for nearly 3 weeks by then.

Any view to help clear the mist would help! 

4 minutes ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

We are finishing a cruise in Dubai next November (starts in October in Athens) on Azamara and I have been looking at flights. Currently I have flights on hold for a week and I am trying to make my mind up if I want to stay a few days in Dubai or just head to the airport and get back to a fairly cold Scotland and get back to work. The cruise is 17 nights and we are travelling to Athens the day before. 

I suspect that a day or so is not going to make much difference but I need to make my mind up by the 11th for the flights. I am tending towards just heading home from the ship as we will have been away for nearly 3 weeks by then.

Could be interesting as I think November is the World Expo in Dubai...of course, that could also be an incentive to avoid it like the plague. If the thought of staying doesn't rock your boat (couldn't resist) then head home.  However, I always consider time spent in final port means less chance of a delayed docking = missed flight. 

1 hour ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

Edited by Skoobdo
Wrong recipient

1 hour ago, mef_57 said:

Well, I was planning to hold back on the bling until I see the gold souk. It's all window shopping anyway, but I prefer the more unique (I hope) designs from the souks.

As to temps, it is going to be a drastic difference from early Spring to 'our' summer temps. But I believe the humidity doesn't hit until May in Dubai, so there is hope. Seems to keep  under 105F for our dates.

I was in Dubai from May 1-10th in 2017 and it was extremely hot and humid.  Hopefully, the couple weeks before won't be that hot for your cruise.  But, it felt like a sauna.

1 hour ago, Skoobdo said:

I was in Dubai from May 1-10th in 2017 and it was extremely hot and humid.  Hopefully, the couple weeks before won't be that hot for your cruise.  But, it felt like a sauna.

Shh.  I am trying to stay in a little bubble of denial as to how hot it may be.  I use wunderground website for historical temps. It gives low and highs and precipitation. Humidex factor doesn't appear.  Summers in Ottawa are what I call soup season, so I know humidity - but it doesn't mean I have to like it. If too hot, The Mall is cut from the list. I would rather swelter in the souks or on the dabra.

2 hours ago, mef_57 said:

Could be interesting as I think November is the World Expo in Dubai...of course, that could also be an incentive to avoid it like the plague. If the thought of staying doesn't rock your boat (couldn't resist) then head home.  However, I always consider time spent in final port means less chance of a delayed docking = missed flight. 

We will usually stay for the night after we disembark but I always find that it is a wasted time. By the time you get off the ship get to the hotel wait to check in whenever that happens. You end up with a day in transit and then the same happens the next day going to the airport. You really need to stay for at least 2 nights to see anything.

16 minutes ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

We will usually stay for the night after we disembark but I always find that it is a wasted time. By the time you get off the ship get to the hotel wait to check in whenever that happens. You end up with a day in transit and then the same happens the next day going to the airport. You really need to stay for at least 2 nights to see anything.

I agree it can feel like just a lot of waiting. Perhaps there are more frequent flights to Scotland per day makingnit less of a risk than a once a day return to Canada. Actually, it seems Expo opens Oct 20, 2020 so could be an interesting add on.

We need to fly via Heathrow And there are a number of flights from Dubai to there each day and from there we can fly to Glasgow and Edinburgh almost every hour and a half. You have the issue there that we have flying to Florida where even from Heathrow there are 4 flights a day with different carriers but they are mostly at the same times.

Edited by Gordoncruickshank

5 hours ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

I agree, a 1 night post-cruise stay serves no purpose other than making the trip home slower!!!  However, there are many options to get back to Glasgow/Edinburgh, from daily non-stop Emirates flights to connections via any number of European cities.  You only need  to fly via Heathrow if you restrict yourself to British Airways - which the majority of those of us who regularly fly to UK destinations other than London tend to avoid!!!!  

Anne...