Transit visas China

cruiser man 60

We are in the Dubai to Yokohama cruise next year which has one stop for 9 hours in mainland China at Shekhou, port for Shenzhen. Anyone cruised in the area with a one day stop in China got any experience of how the 24 hour transit visa is a obtained i.e. Do the cruise ship obtain, do you apply yourself at cruise port etc.

we are U.K. Passport holders and cruise then goes to Hong Kong and my understanding is that 24 hour visa free visit is permissible .

Uk travellers can apply for the TWOV online via a link on the Foreign Office website regarding travel to China. 

There's no information on the UK MSC site to suggest that it's one they obtain.

It's possible to obtain the TWOV in port also, apparently. 

We're sailing from Shanghai next year and I've found very useful information on this website regarding transit Visas 

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/passport-visa-health-travel-document-requirements.htm

I'd be very sure to check the itinerary for your journey to ensure you meet the ABC criteria for TWOV. Hong Kong adds an extra complexity to the rule. Unfortunately I don't recall the details I've read as it doesn't apply to us and there's lots to read on the subject!

There's also a thread regarding the TWOV to China in the POC section with some good information. 

Does MSC Cruises apply for the visas if passengers booked the excursion with MSC ?

We went on a excursion in St. Petersburg (Russia) booked with MSC and everything was handled by MSC. No paperwork on board. We only had to show our passports and cruise cards to the immigration officer and received a ‘day pass (?)’. We boarded the bus within a few minutes.

I've read nothing to suggest that's the case. I believe that's a specific arrangement for SPB. We had our excursions booked with a private tour operator (rather than through MSC) and the tour company also arranged the visa waiver for us. Same process when arriving at immigration as with an MSC excursion though. 

12 hours ago, cruiser man 60 said:

We are in the Dubai to Yokohama cruise next year which has one stop for 9 hours in mainland China at Shekhou, port for Shenzhen. Anyone cruised in the area with a one day stop in China got any experience of how the 24 hour transit visa is a obtained i.e. Do the cruise ship obtain, do you apply yourself at cruise port etc.

we are U.K. Passport holders and cruise then goes to Hong Kong and my understanding is that 24 hour visa free visit is permissible .

To answer this question, one needs to know the port BEFORE Shekou. 

Unlike St. Petersburg the cruise company will do nothing. 

6 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Hong Kong adds an extra complexity to the rule.

No, not at all. Hong Kong is treated as a foreign country like any other when it comes to TWOV rules, especially the ABC criteria.

Anyway, even if you are eligable for TWOV, the main reason to go off the ship and on the long Metro trip into Shenzhen is that you can say "I have been to China". But at least the Shekou Sea World shopping and leisure area is within walking distance. The best option probably is to walk up Danan Mountain in Nanshan Park for some really good views (if the weather is good). 

http://thetravelvisacompany.co.uk  tel  01270 250590

I suggest you may want to call these people we called querying Indian visa last year -you don't have to give all the details of your trip just ask for advice as if you are going to use them .

Unfortunately if a visa is required and you don't have it you could be denied boarding

Finally I will say it is a great trip which we did on Spendida in March/April (Indian visa)

We are stopping in Singapore before the next stop which is Shekhou and then to Hong Kong so from my reading it meets the ABC criteria for 24 hour visa free visit.

there are various MSC excursions for sale but very expensive e.g. £80 to visit Shenzhen, anyone been to this area know if you can travel to Shenzhen easily in your own provided we can enter!!

Just Spoken to MSC customer service who advised that as U.K. Passport holders no visas are required for any ports on our trip and any required paperwork will be sorted out on board. Only requirement is to have valid passports with minimum 3 months expiry date on arrival in any port.

You'd definitely meet the ABC criteria, great news if MSC will be arranging everything. One caveat for you, ensure you have 6 full months on your passport, excluding manually added months. The FO website states 6 months validity for entry to UEA and all of the information I've seen states 6 months for China too.