5kg hand luggage on Tui Caribbean cruise?

alsa

Hi 😊. I have read that Tui only allow 1 piece of hand luggage and it isn’t allowed to be over 5kg?  Does this include your handbag or is it in addition to?  I usually take a small carry on case but it weighs 2.5kg before you even put anything in it!!  I have watched You Tube videos of the Cruises and it shows people getting off the plane in Barbados with small cases?   Can anyone who has done this cruise before please give me some info - greatly appreciated 😊

I queried the allowance with P&O because Tui upgraded their hand luggage to 10Kg's per person earlier this year on all their flights. P&O said that it is 5Kg's but gave me a number to phone to check with Tui who told me that it is 10kg's which I took but I was only flying home as I did the transatlantic. I don't know how strict the check-in the UK will be in the UK but it may be worth phoning this Tui number to check 0203 636 1309. Regarding handbags I saw lots of people carrying handbags in addition.   

Edited by bee-ess

This depends on where you fly from and the staff on duty. Recently flew from Birmingham to join Azura in Barbbados. Check in staff were awful, some of them were even at the boarding gate bellowing at people who had cleared check in within 5kg of hand luggage, but were carrying it in 2 bags whilst another line were just letting them on the plane without comment. There are numerous shops and duty free after security, my daughter in law bought gifts for Christmas and as she tried to board the plane with her purchases in another bag, they forced her to hand over her cabin bag to put it in the hold. This bag was not locked or labelled and it contained all their currency for the cruise, they just took her name,, so we had a worrying flight not knowing whether the case would reach her, luckily it did and was intact but I will be making a formal complaint with P&O and also Tui. So if you are flying with Tui from Birmingham BEWARE (she has blonde hair) my regret is that I did not take her name

Some will say they have taken more and got away with it bit we have seen folk having to repack and get it down to the prescribed weight.   Although many make a big fuss it's really not difficult, we have done the Caribbean 3 times and managed easily.  To confirm its exactly as DGS says 1 = 1.

• Like 1

As an aside, on our first ever cruise we booked Premium seats. When we took up our seats the overhead locker was "full" as a gentleman 3 rows in front had neatly placed his jacket, full width, and his hat in it. When I very politely asked if he could move his jacket he refused. The Cabin Crew said they would put our bag, which was the correct size and small, in the hold. I said that wasn't happening as it held my wife's jewellery. I decided to neatly fold the jacket in half and put our bag in amidst his protestations. Some people beggar belief and it always amazed me that when you encounter someone like him that you keep meeting them throughout the cruise.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dgs1956 said:

As an aside, on our first ever cruise we booked Premium seats. When we took up our seats the overhead locker was "full" as a gentleman 3 rows in front had neatly placed his jacket, full width, and his hat in it. When I very politely asked if he could move his jacket he refused. The Cabin Crew said they would put our bag, which was the correct size and small, in the hold. I said that wasn't happening as it held my wife's jewellery. I decided to neatly fold the jacket in half and put our bag in amidst his protestations. Some people beggar belief and it always amazed me that when you encounter someone like him that you keep meeting them throughout the cruise.

It certainly does take all sorts.   You were very polite.   Space is certainly an issue on these flights and we have seen many very surprised that having "got round" the limits there is suddenly not enough room to store all their stuff.   I do wonder whether the lower limit on these flights is also to help with the mini bus transfers to the ship which can be a bit "snug" and would only be made more unpleasant if folk were allowed bigger / heavier cabin bags.     

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chrisg1uk said:

It certainly does take all sorts.   You were very polite.   Space is certainly an issue on these flights and we have seen many very surprised that having "got round" the limits there is suddenly not enough room to store all their stuff.   I do wonder whether the lower limit on these flights is also to help with the mini bus transfers to the ship which can be a bit "snug" and would only be made more unpleasant if folk were allowed bigger / heavier cabin bags.     

That is the other point of course, that you may get into the aircraft with a "bigger" case, it doesn't fit, and the crew put it in the hold. Its just not worth it. The bus transfers, especially in the Caribbean, are a problem as well. Even with our small bags I normally finish up with it on my knee.

In addition to the 5 kg hand baggage, you should be permitted to carry a smaller personal item such as a purse. This needs to be checked with P&O (who may refer you to the airline) as the baggage rules for a charter can be different than when booked directly with the airline.

Normally the reason for the lower weight limit is the cost to the airline of the fuel required if 345 passengers (max capacity on a 787-9 aircraft) took 10 kg of hand baggage. The airline needs to have fuel to carry 3,450 kg of hand baggage, in addition to the fuel required for all the checked baggage. If they restrict everyone to 5 kg. then they need 1/2 as much fuel for hand baggage. 

This in turn reduces the cost of the ticket per person that is charged to P&O for the charter flight which is obviously added to the cost of the cruise which P&O then charge us, the customer.

20 hours ago, dgs1956 said:

The allowance is clear on your E Ticket. Ours says "Hand Luggage: 1 piece, max weight 5kg, 55cm x 40cm x 20cm". 

If you take a bigger or heavier bag then you risk hassle.

On our December 2015 Caribbean cruise on Britannia, all the info. we received said the allowance was 5 kg, but when we got to the Thomas Cook/P&O check-in at Gatwick, they had signs up saying the allowance was 6 kg. It would have been an enormous help to have known this beforehand, as our son was revising for his mock GCSEs and took loads of books with him, which he had to distribute between the family's hand luggage.

5 hours ago, peteukmcr said:

In addition to the 5 kg hand baggage, you should be permitted to carry a smaller personal item such as a purse. This needs to be checked with P&O (who may refer you to the airline) as the baggage rules for a charter can be different than when booked directly with the airline.

Normally the reason for the lower weight limit is the cost to the airline of the fuel required if 345 passengers (max capacity on a 787-9 aircraft) took 10 kg of hand baggage. The airline needs to have fuel to carry 3,450 kg of hand baggage, in addition to the fuel required for all the checked baggage. If they restrict everyone to 5 kg. then they need 1/2 as much fuel for hand baggage. 

This in turn reduces the cost of the ticket per person that is charged to P&O for the charter flight which is obviously added to the cost of the cruise which P&O then charge us, the customer.

If every passenger took 10kg of hand luggage, instead of 5kg, the extra weight involved would only be around 1700kg.  Given that the maximum take off weight of a 787-9 is 254,000kg, the extra weight of allowing 10kg hand luggage rather than 5kg is inconsequential,  and has a minimal impact on fuel usage. 

10 hours ago, alsa said:

Interesting comments.  I just find it amazing that Jet2 - a budget airline - allows 10kg and yet Tui allows 5kg for a transatlantic!  

Jet2 might be a budget airline but its shares, Dart group on AIM, are one of the best performing shares in the UK due to their package holidays which put them at number 2 in the UK, and the major increase in sales following the TC collapse. 

4 hours ago, Jennizor said:

Got our Virgin flight details for our Caribbean cruise in February. We have 23kg hold allowance and 10kg cabin. I also have an IT cabin bag which weighs only about 1.5kg so can’t  complain.

Mind you, BA allow a whopping 23kg hand luggage allowance!

• Like 1

On 12/3/2019 at 2:29 PM, wowzz said:

Mind you, BA allow a whopping 23kg hand luggage allowance!

Just got back from San Francisco on a BA flight and indeed it is 23kG hand luggage each plus a smaller carry on bag to go under the seat.

The over head lockers are very spacious unlike some budget airlines over head lockers.

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Just got back from San Francisco on a BA flight and indeed it is 23kG hand luggage each plus a smaller carry on bag to go under the seat.

The over head lockers are very spacious unlike some budget airlines over head lockers.

Although,  to be fair, comparing a 787 to a 320 is not really a fair co parison.