Names of any new ships

Alipius

The last lot of namings were lacklustre. Encore!  Ovation?!  OMG...

It might be useful to cut Seattle some slack and for us to come up with a few gems; if only so they don’t come up with any more of these. 

At the moment I don’t really have my same-sounding-yet-sea/relax-meaning-word brain going.

So, could only come up with ‘Seabourn Cerene’ and also ‘Seabourn Syzygy’ (look it up... and it’s the longest word with all consonants too; well, technically anyway).  

And for the Australians out there: the “Seabourn Cyalayta” ... (hint: say it fast)

C’mon, you know you can do better than me (and them)!

For those looking for that extra frisson, and deadly thrills, how about the Seabourn Keelhaul ?

Want a peaceful, quiet, unhurried experience? why not try a few months on the Seabourn Sarragaso ? You will be charmed and becalmed.

For those with sturdy sea-legs, there is the Seabourn Swell, guaranteed more buck for your buck.

Like to splash the cash, sampling fine wines and hanging out in the Retreat? Meet like-minded folk on the Seabourn Upsell.

And for the ultimate no-frills, back-to-basics, small ship experience there are the new twin expedition ships, Seabourn Kon-Tiki and Seabourn Life-Raft.

• Haha 1

More seriously, perhaps something reflecting the ancient sea gods and goddesses ?

I thought of Poseidon and Neptune, but for those of us old enough to remember The Poseidon Adventure ( and that is probably most of the Seabourn demographic) the name may not have the most confidence inspiring connotations.

How about DELPHIN and ELECTRA ?  Delphin, the leader of the dolphins. He aided Poseidon in the wooing of Amphitrite, and as a reward was placed amongst the stars as the constellation Delphin. Electra, one of the Oceanides, the wife of the sea-god Thaumas and mother of the Rainbow (Iris) and the Storm-Gusts (Harpyiae). She probably presided over her namesake "amber"-coloured clouds often seen accompanying the rainbow.

Appropriate for Med cruises.

Flamin_June: you've certainly topped me! 

And such a knowledge of such a delighting world! the Greek gods etc and their heavenly doings... you’ve got me going there for a read!

Although in the world of today I like your 'becalmed and charmed' concept of "Seabourn Sargasso", Ms Alipius favours  the 'guaranteed more buck for your buck' of a “Seabourn Swell”: having been well and truly bucked on two Antarctic returns. 

Thanks, Alipius, for the kind words! I won't pretend to have great knowledge of the Greek and Roman gods, though, as a one time archaeologist I do have a passing interest. The potted biographies of D and E were cut n pastes from a website.

This thread has reminded me of something. In March 2016, the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) announced that members of the public were being asked to suggest names for the new Polar research vessel that the UK Government was building. BBC's Radio Jersey presenter James Hand jokingly suggested the name RRS "Boaty McBoatface"........and yes you guessed it that was the name that won by a landslide. Luckily the choice of name was not guaranteed and the ship was eventually named "Sir David Attenborough"