VAT and Taxes on itineraries

wendycook22

Ok, I have researtched this, I know it is a controversial topic, but I am still not clear on the varying answers I have read in past posts.  It sems NCL has changed some pratcies over th years so I am trying to get it clarified. 

I have two sailings currently booked with NCL both on the Getaway.  Can someone that has recently cruise simiar itineraries please let me know if they were charged taxes or VAT while in these ports or for the full cruise:  I understand NCL has to remit taxes based on tax laws  Celebrity in my epxerience absorbs it and pays it on our behlaf, and that is the cruiseline we typically sail with.  It does not bother me that NCL is doing this, I just want to know what to expect, and to pass it along to my fellow travellers so they know as well.  I know it averages around 9% depending on the port.  I just would like to know if it is just in port, and which ports, or if it will be the full cruise.  Thank you!   

1. NYC - 11 Night - Puerta Plata, ABC islands, and Great Stirrup Cay, ends in Miami - Which ports will we be charges taxes on our drinks while doecked?  

2. Rome - Kotor, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Santorini, Mykonos, Athens, Livorno, Naples, Rome

NOTE: WE  HAVE THE UBP :) 

Edited by wendycook22

4 hours ago, Paul Bogle said:

On the first itinerary you will only pay sales tax on drinks purchased while in New York waters.

I have not sailed NCL in the Med so cannot speak to the second itinerary.

not correct....  FL charges tax so if you order something with breakfast you'll be charged full price plus 20% gratuity and also taxed (PBP does not include disembarkation day) 

Edited by esm54687

25 minutes ago, esm54687 said:

not correct....  FL charges tax so if you order something with breakfast you'll be charged full price plus 20% gratuity and also taxed (PBP does not include disembarkation day) 

Question:  Do they serve alcohol on the last morning?  I thought the drinks were cut off before that during the night.

45 minutes ago, esm54687 said:

I have never been charged tax when sailing out of Miami on my 3 cruises 2 with NCL and 1 with Royal.  Only in Texas has the drink package not started on embarkation day.

19 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Question:  Do they serve alcohol on the last morning?  I thought the drinks were cut off before that during the night.

I can't rule out that I had a mimosa the last morning...... I can't 100% remember but just in case. 

3 minutes ago, calizona said:

I have never been charged tax when sailing out of Miami on my 3 cruises 2 with NCL and 1 with Royal.  Only in Texas has the drink package not started on embarkation day.

Was it on the Sky? It may be different because of how that ship's "open bar / all-inclusive" is handled. 

5 hours ago, wendycook22 said:

Ok, I have researtched this, I know it is a controversial topic, but I am still not clear on the varying answers I have read in past posts.  It sems NCL has changed some pratcies over th years so I am trying to get it clarified. 

I have two sailings currently booked with NCL both on the Getaway.  Can someone that has recently cruise simiar itineraries please let me know if they were charged taxes or VAT while in these ports or for the full cruise:  I understand NCL has to remit taxes based on tax laws  Celebrity in my epxerience absorbs it and pays it on our behlaf, and that is the cruiseline we typically sail with.  It does not bother me that NCL is doing this, I just want to know what to expect, and to pass it along to my fellow travellers so they know as well.  I know it averages around 9% depending on the port.  I just would like to know if it is just in port, and which ports, or if it will be the full cruise.  Thank you!   

1. NYC - 11 Night - Puerta Plata, ABC islands, and Great Stirrup Cay, ends in Miami - Which ports will we be charges taxes on our drinks while doecked?  

2. Rome - Kotor, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Santorini, Mykonos, Athens, Livorno, Naples, Rome

NOTE: WE  HAVE THE UBP 🙂

You should be fine on the Rome cruise.

It used to be that the tax was charged on Med cruises when you have the beverage package, but that stopped a few years ago. I haven't heard of it being charged for a few years now.

I haven't actually been on a cruise sailing from the Med since last Easter, but I'm sure it would have been reported on here (repeatedly) if they had started charging it again. I'm sailing out of Rome in a few weeks and I am not expecting to pay any tax on those drinks.

43 minutes ago, calizona said:

38 minutes ago, esm54687 said:

Was it on the Sky? It may be different because of how that ship's "open bar / all-inclusive" is handled. 

I was on the Breakaway last month out of Miami and with the Beverage Package I was still charged tax until we officially were out of US waters. Over Memorial Day Weekend we sailed on the Sky and weren't charged but as you said that's because it was an Open Bar Cruise and they weren't even swiping anyone's IDs when taking drink orders at the bars.

I will also note that in 2016 we sailed on Royal's Liberty of the Seas from Galveston and we had no issues using our Beverage Package on embarkation day.

But to answer the OP's question, the only ports where you will be charged tax are NYC and Miami.

Edited by Greek Boss

Thanks for the clarification everyone!

I don't mind paying the tax, I just want to inform everyone in our group properly to expect taxes to be charged until we are in internatinal waters when sailing out of NYC.  My FIL watches his account closely, this way I can let him know to expect a small charge for each drink until we are in open waters.    :)  

17 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

I got a drink on one cruise by going up to the bar while in line for self check out. I was ready to pay cash but the bartender said that the key card is good for purchases right up to the time you swipe it when you get off.

• Like 1