Autistic Child Kids Club

Sebleo

We are taking our son on his first cruise in late September.  He will be 6 years old and for the most part is non-verbal. I know he would fit in better with the kids and activities in the 2-5 club. I think the 6-8 club will have activities that are outside of his range of interests and abilities. 

We are traveling on Carnival. Has anyone been granted an exception to the age groups in the kids club? If so, how and when do I make the request?

You can also try to contact the special needs department ahead of time.  They may have ideas for more than just the kids club to help your family.  Some cruise lines have helped autistic people complete their muster drill in a quieter location, for example.

f you need general information about accessibility before you cruise, or have an ADA complaint, please call our Guest Access team at 1-800-438-6744 ext.70025 or email access@carnival.com. Carnival's designated ADA Responsibility Officer is Vicky Rey, Vice President Guest Care and Communications.

• Thanks 1

I was always able to age my special needs child down an age group in the kids clubs - I just explained to the staff and asked nicely.  Connecting with the special needs department ahead of time is a good idea for help with muster and giving a heads up to the kids club staff.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for the help. We will be on Dream so won’t need anything for Muster unless they’ve moved it from the theater. 

Im glad to hear someone has had experience with aging down. I’m not sure he will even like it , but I’d like to give him the opportunity to have some more fun. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi! I have taken my autistic son on a few cruises! They did age him down in the kids club for me. May I also suggest, call the special needs department ahead of time. They are AMAZING! They met us as the port and walked us through the lines to get on the ship so was not overwhelming for my son. They had a special alarm go off when he went to get off the ship to make sure was with us. He received such VIP service on all the cruises. He never had to go to the drills if he was overwhelmed, someone talked him through it. He got a card from the captain once. I love Carnival for this reason... how they treated my son 🙂 He is 18 now and we are going on a NYE cruise this year and I have no fear he will have fun! 

• Like 1