attire on HAL

LDinCT

First cruise on HAL on March Zaandam. Many prior cruises on RCI, Celebrity, & Disney. From reading these posts it is sounding that people get more dressed up on HAL. We are used to dark suits and cocktail dresses for formal, but I've been reading about jackets for informal nights? Is that true? And Pinnacle, is jacket required. Just want to make sure DH has enough jackets and ties for a 10 day. Thanks.

LDinCT

Suit and cocktail dress for formal night.

Sport Coat for informal nights and Pinnacle.

We bring 1 tux or suit for formal and 1 sportcoat for other nights.

Casual nights - no coats required.

I wish they would get rid of informal - IMO we don't need 3 modes of dress for a cruise. But we 'go with the flow'.

MaryAnn

First cruise on HAL on March Zaandam. Many prior cruises on RCI, Celebrity, & Disney. From reading these posts it is sounding that people get more dressed up on HAL. We are used to dark suits and cocktail dresses for formal, but I've been reading about jackets for informal nights? Is that true? And Pinnacle, is jacket required. Just want to make sure DH has enough jackets and ties for a 10 day. Thanks.

LDinCT

celebrity and hal are about the same in the dress code department --dark suts and cocktail dresses are fine for formal -- jackets on informal nite -no ties required--- i wouldnt overdo carrying a ton of jackets - personally 2 would do it and just change shirts (different colors and ties)

have you ever gone to www.hollandamerica.com and checked out the dress code info on that site

Suit and cocktail dress for formal night.

Sport Coat for informal nights and Pinnacle.

We bring 1 tux or suit for formal and 1 sportcoat for other nights.

Casual nights - no coats required.

I wish they would get rid of informal - IMO we don't need 3 modes of dress for a cruise. But we 'go with the flow'.

MaryAnn

I would vote for getting rid of "casual" personally as I prefer to dress for dinner.

I also prefer dressing for dinner, but on our first cruise with HAL which ended last Sunday I was surprised at what people considered formal on formal nights. We actually saw polo shirts with jeans shorts and flip flops! I couldn't believe my eyes. It didn't spoil my evening, but I feel that HAL should either enforce the rules or drop them completely. JMHO.

Susan

From Holland America Line's Website:

Clothing and dress code

The right clothing can make a big difference in the enjoyment of your cruise. First and foremost, dress for comfort. Daily life aboard ship and in ports of call is laid-back and casual. We encourage you to wear whatever makes you feel most comfortable-sportswear, shorts, sundresses, slacks, and so on. Warmer climates call for clothing made of lightweight, breathable fabrics. For cooler climates we suggest casual clothes that can be layered easily and possibly a raincoat and waterproof hat or umbrella and gloves. Bring a swimsuit-all of our ships have pools and whirlpools. You may wish to bring more than one outfit for the water, if you'll be spending much time in and around it. We ask that you wear shoes and a cover-up over a bathing suit when walking through the interior of the ship.

If you'd like to jog on deck or work out in the fitness center, bring workout gear. Footwear should include comfortable walking shoes for visits ashore and sandals or rubber-soled shoes for strolling on deck.

Evening dress falls into three distinct categories. Each night a daily program will be delivered to your stateroom announcing the suggested dress for the following evening. Comfortable, relaxed clothing is fine for evenings designated as casual; however, T-shirts, jeans, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the dining room, Lido restaurant, or public areas during the evening hours. During informal nights, dresses or pantsuits for women and jackets (tie optional) for men are standard.

On festive formal evenings, women usually wear cocktail dresses or gowns and men usually wear business suits or tuxedos. There are approximately two formal nights per week. (Gentlemen: Although business suits or tuxedos are suggested attire for formal evenings, they are certainly not required. You are welcome to wear a jacket and tie on formal nights.) Formalwear for ladies and gentlemen can be pre-ordered for your use for the duration of your cruise. Just call Cruise Line Formalwear at 800-551-5091 to reserve and it will be ready in your stateroom when you board.

In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland America asks that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the entire evening.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/guests/category.do?category=packing&topic=dressCode

We like dressing for dinner also. Started cruising that way and have just stuck with it ever since. Have a tux and wear it for formal nights and, of course, DW has a "collection" of gowns. Informal nights wear a sports coat and tie and DW has dinner dresses. Casual is the one place we've switched a bit and gone away from the sports coat and tie/dress every casual night to appropriate casual. We could easily go with formal and informal and skip the casual.

Su

MaryAnn

Agree. I have stated this many times on this board, but like you we 'go with the flow'. :)

Just an observation

New York (Rotterdam) crowd was quite formal. even on informal nights most men wore jackets ( i always do i like to dress up)

The Norfolk (Maasdam) last year was a bit disapointing in their dress

not so many tuxedos and mostly a polyester dress down crowd.

I like HAL because of the more formal dining atsmophere.

Tuxedos and Gowns are a nice change for my every day life.

I'm very happy HAL is back in NY.

As a nurse I wear scrubs 200 days a year, then I have a child in a wheelchair that I care for so I am in comfortable pants/working clothes from 5 am to after 9 pm most days.

I do go to church, but I have already purchased two long dresses (on winter clearance) one red satin and one green for our cruise in Dec. 2006 one for Christmas and one for New Year's Eve...

It is nice to dress and remember how special it makes you look and feel.

LHC

Don't really have any gowns, legs are too short. I sometimes bring a couple of black dresses, but never wear them. I'm more of a pant suit type of girl. I went to several black ties this year in one of my formal pants suits. I'm not going to get refused service for wearing a cocktail "suit" am I? Women are allowed to wear pants, right?

I always have DS wear polo and khaki's in dining room, jacket and tie for formal, so he should be ok, right?

Also, in the NY metro area, nice jeans are seen in many restaurants in the evening, so this will be a departure. But I have no problem with a pair of black slacks for dinner.

10 nights, I assume 3 formals, 3 informals?

LDinCT

LDinCT,

We just returned from a cruise last week on HAL.

I saw a lot of women (probably 75%) wearing black pants and some kind of a nice top for formal night. This would definately be ok.

On formal night, I only saw 2 tuxes, mostly suits and ties(suits of all colors), and some men with a jacket and tie, and even some with jackets with tops underneath with no collars.

I don't think anyone looked out of place.

About two years ago I proposed the following Alternative Dress Code for the Holland America Line. Sadly, it wasn't adopted. But, oh, was it funny. :D

WARNING: HUMOR COMES NEXT -- PLEASE TURN ON HUMOR CIRCUITS.

Proposed Alternative Dress Code:

Evening dress falls into three distinct categories. Each night a daily program will be delivered to your stateroom announcing the REQUIRED dress for the following evening. Comfortable, relaxed clothing is fine for evenings designated as casual; however, T-shirts, jeans, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the dining room, Lido restaurant, or public areas during the evening hours. All violators will be catapulted overboard just prior to the second-seating's show. During informal nights, dresses or pantsuits for women and jackets (tie optional) for men are expected. (Gentlemen: You may NOT be out and about without a jacket. Any violation of this standard will result in a public flogging, administered by the Captain, on the sports deck at 9:45 pm.)

On festive formal evenings, women shall wear cocktail dresses or gowns and men shall wear business suits or tuxedos. There are only approximately two formal nights per week, so stop whining. (Ladies and Gentlemen: the penalty for failing to abide by our dress code will be the deduction of 10 Mariner days for each infraction. If the infractions exceed the number of days any given passenger has accumilated they will be immediately "debarked.")

If you're a poor slob and don't own the proper attire for Formal Night, appropriate Formalwear for ladies and gentlemen can be pre-ordered for your use for the duration of your cruise. Just call Cruise Line Formalwear at 800-551-5091 to reserve and it will be ready in your inside, N-catagory stateroom when you board. If you don't own the proper clothing for informal night, you're out of luck and probably won't even be happy on any of our dam ships anyway.

ATTENTION: HUMOR ENDED. YOU MAY NOW TURN OFF YOUR HUMOR CIRCUITS AND GO BACK TO BEING ALL SERIOUS AND DULL.

I also prefer dressing for dinner, but on our first cruise with HAL which ended last Sunday I was surprised at what people considered formal on formal nights. We actually saw polo shirts with jeans shorts and flip flops! I couldn't believe my eyes. It didn't spoil my evening, but I feel that HAL should either enforce the rules or drop them completely. JMHO.

Susan

Just curious, which HAL ship were you on, and what was the itinerary?

Thanks!

I like to get dressed up for dinner just as one would when going to a fine restaurant at home. We sailed on NCL last Thanksgiving because we wanted a ship that sailed out of NYC. I could not believe what people were wearing around the ship on optional formal nights. We saw one man in cargo pants and a tank top! That is why we are going to sail HAL on our next three cruises. It's just nicer!

All violators will be catapulted overboard just prior to the second-seating's show.

Any violation of this standard will result in a public flogging, administered by the Captain, on the sports deck at 9:45 pm.

Rev - These would make great shows all by themselves! :D

Rev. Greg Neal:

I love your humor. Your dispach on What to wear on the given knight made me laugh as hard as I did when I heard someone name the Statue of BVM in St. Lawrence river as Our Lady of the Midnight Buffet.

to the dining room for wearing inappropriate attire.

On the Volendam, a man entering the dining room in shorts on the first night was stopped at the door and told he needed to change into long pants for dinner. The man argued that his pants were long (the shorts were the type that fell just below the knee). He was informed that by long, it meant pants that covered his ankles. He then tried to use the excuse he had not received his luggage. (this was the 8:30 seating) Again, he was told, Sir, luggage has been delivered to all the cabins.

I was glad to see this occurring.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived