Cpap in carry on

desiree741

I pack mine in my luggage. Never had a problem. And to head off the other CPAP questions that always get asked, yes they will give you an extension cord but it's better to pack your own (ask your steward). Yes they sell distilled water but for 6 or 7 days the super processed tap water onboard works just fine.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bakersdozen12 said:

You can carry your cpap on separately in its carrying case. It doesn’t have to go inside your carryon bag. 

That's what my husband does.  When we took the Sunrise out of NY in June they asked my husband about his CPAP at the terminal.  Then they sent him to a line that checked his passport and the CPAP,  then they took his photo and sent him to another short line to check the CPAP again. They never opened the carrying case just kept asking him if he had it with him. Very strange, never happened before. Also, when I called Carnival they said to take an extension cord with us so we did and sure enough there was one in the Cabin anyway. 😊

6 hours ago, wms99 said:

I pack mine in my luggage. Never had a problem. And to head off the other CPAP questions that always get asked, yes they will give you an extension cord but it's better to pack your own (ask your steward). Yes they sell distilled water but for 6 or 7 days the super processed tap water onboard works just fine.

This is my first time on Carnival with my CPAP.  I've been on Norwegian and Celebrity and they have provided distilled water free of charge.  Are you saying that Carnival charges for it?  If so, where do I buy it?  Is it something I do ahead of time, or where on the ship?  Thanks!

8 hours ago, wms99 said:

Of course you never had a problem.  If you did, you wouldn't be saying that.  CPAP is often times a required medical device that allows you not to suffocate at night time while sleeping.  Pretty important.  It pushes air through you with back pressure, because your airways close up while laying down.  So, if you can live without it on your cruise in the case it gets lost, dropped in water, or other accident as your bags are tossed around in the loading area, than pack it any way you want.  But for the poster, this machine is medically needed so never pack it in your suitcase. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bambiying said:

This is my first time on Carnival with my CPAP.  I've been on Norwegian and Celebrity and they have provided distilled water free of charge.  Are you saying that Carnival charges for it?  If so, where do I buy it?  Is it something I do ahead of time, or where on the ship?  Thanks!

You order it from room service. Call as soon as you get to your room. On my last cruise they ran out. 

On 12/6/2019 at 3:05 PM, Joseph2017China said:

Of course you never had a problem.  If you did, you wouldn't be saying that.  CPAP is often times a required medical device that allows you not to suffocate at night time while sleeping.  Pretty important.  It pushes air through you with back pressure, because your airways close up while laying down. 

Wow. Thank you for the explanation of what my CPAP does. And here I thought it was just a fashion accessory.  In 10 years of using a CPAP, work travel all over the world, and many cruises I have never had a problem with it getting damaged or lost in my luggage.  But to the OP, if you feel safer carrying it on, then do it. Carnival is very easy to work with at check in.

2 hours ago, wms99 said:

Wow. Thank you for the explanation of what my CPAP does. And here I thought it was just a fashion accessory.  In 10 years of using a CPAP, work travel all over the world, and many cruises I have never had a problem with it getting damaged or lost in my luggage.  But to the OP, if you feel safer carrying it on, then do it. Carnival is very easy to work with at check in.

I think your reply said exactly what I was pointing out.  It never happened to me, so it must be OK.  It is a serious question being asked, and luggage gets thrown around, bags loaded on top of it, left outside in the rain, occasionally dropped etc.......Basically, I'm just telling the poster that you should never ask the question if it is ok.  Yes you can do it, but it is not the best choice.  You risk a lot, for a little inconvenience of carrying it.  A thousand people could say it is ok, but the person that is damaged, can't come back and say that Cruise Critic people said it would be safe.  So I'm glad you never had a problem, but giving advise based on your lucky experience is not really what the poster needs to know.  I had a wheelchair made useless for a few hours until I was able to do a McGyver fix on it and a more permanent fix a few days later while traveling.  Why?  Because it was dropped.  My advise is never take a chance on medical equipment regardless of how many people say it is ok.

• Like 2

Just an FYI, your CPAP is a medical device, therefore airlines (in the USA) must allow you to carry it on free of charge. 

Note, however, that if you are flying some sort of ultra low fair airline that charges for a carry on (Spirit, Frontier, Allegiant, etc) it must be in in its carrying case.  It can't be stuffed inside a carry on with other items.

Add Princess as another that doesn't charge for distilled water. As a BiPap user, I'd never separate with my machine. As a long time airline pilot and I know what happens to luggage. Do as you wish, and if you can sleep without it pack it. I won't risk it and if I'm up front and you in the back, you'd better hope I bypassed the Holiday Inn and had my BiPap the night before.