Jupiter Spa questions

BunlessInSeattle

There are a couple of things that I am curious about. 

In my normal life, I try to go to the local spa once a week for hydrotherapy, so I am used to a cold plunge in the mid 50s. Anything warmer than the mid 60s really doesn't do anything for my osteoarthritis.

How cold is the cold plunge? 

I've read about the Nordic bathing ritual tour, but am wondering if 1)is that really for me since I go from the sauna to cold plunge on the regular, and 2)is the spa open during that time?

5 hours ago, BunlessInSeattle said:

In my normal life, I try to go to the local spa once a week for hydrotherapy, so I am used to a cold plunge in the mid 50s. Anything warmer than the mid 60s really doesn't do anything for my osteoarthritis.

I've read about the Nordic bathing ritual tour, but am wondering if 1)is that really for me since I go from the sauna to cold plunge on the regular, and 2)is the spa open during that time?

Spa is open daily from 8 am to 8 pm.  The Nordic Bathing Ritual is an event where they teach you the "ritual", costs $39 and is offered 2-3 times per cruise depending on cruise length.  It is at 8 pm after the spa closes to the public.

I don't know the temperature of the plunge pool, but based on my lake/ocean swimming temperature tolerance, I would guess that it is 60 degrees F.  In each locker room there is a sauna with a plunge pool next to it. 

In the coed area, there is a steam room, a room with a bucket of icy water where you pull a cord to dump the water on your head, the snow room, a Jacuzzi and a therapy pool.  The Jacuzzi is the warmest pool.  The therapy pool has a strong current to swim against to a bench near the jets.  It also has benches along the sides with different jets to massage lower back, calves etc. as well as a corner with full body jets coming from all directions.  The therapy pool is warm.  Some people complain as they want it hotter.  It is warm enough to stay in for a good self massage without getting chilled but it is not muscle relaxing hot.

I think the spa is amazing.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, BunlessInSeattle said:

I am curious about your sauna to cold plunge therapy for osteoarthritis.  I have O also.  I like the sauna but what is the benefit of the hot then cold for O.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

I am curious about your sauna to cold plunge therapy for osteoarthritis.  I have O also.  I like the sauna but what is the benefit of the hot then cold for O.

For myself, it seems to help the inflammation. It works on the same principal as contrast treatment, the theory being that the heat produces a widening, and the cold causes a contraction in not just the vascular system, but the lymph as well. To my understanding, the lymph system does not have a 'central pump' like the vascular. For myself, it does a great job as part of the way that I maintain my ankle. The water does have to be cold enough to cause the constriction, though, otherwise there's no point to it.

42 minutes ago, BunlessInSeattle said:

For myself, it seems to help the inflammation. It works on the same principal as contrast treatment, the theory being that the heat produces a widening, and the cold causes a contraction in not just the vascular system, but the lymph as well. To my understanding, the lymph system does not have a 'central pump' like the vascular. For myself, it does a great job as part of the way that I maintain my ankle. The water does have to be cold enough to cause the constriction, though, otherwise there's no point to it.

Sounds interesting.  Will try it next month on the Jupiter.  Will be doing lots of hiking in South America and will most likely need the spa.  Thank you.  I will ask how cold is the plunge pool too.

• Like 1

We were recently on the VIking Orion and found the plunge pool to be 55/56 degrees. The temperature is posted in the locker room.  Regarding the Nordic bathing ritual tour, it sounds like you have enough experience to not need it.  The layout of the spa was accurately discussed earlier. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WestW said:

We were recently on the VIking Orion and found the plunge pool to be 55/56 degrees. The temperature is posted in the locker room.  Regarding the Nordic bathing ritual tour, it sounds like you have enough experience to not need it.  The layout of the spa was accurately discussed earlier. 

Thank you so much