Retreat Cabana - Tipping

BaxCruiser

21 minutes ago, BaxCruiser said:

This is for anyone who's rented a Retreat Cabana for a week - would you give me an idea of what you tipped for the week?  TIA

I would base it on how much you use the Cabana, and the type of service you got.

My husband booked a lido Cabana for my birthday, and we were really waited on. Our steward brought us breakfast (his insistence, not ours) lunch, and  afternoon drinks. Even though we were low maintenance guests, and the only ones renting a Cabana that day (Baltic's cruise sea day) they made me feel very special. We tipped $40 for the one day. I think other people noticed the special treatment we got because on the second sea day all the lido Cabanas were booked.

We book the Sanctuary on Princess for cruise duration, which is a similar concept. We usually tip about $15 per day. They don't bring meals to you (Unless you order off the spa menu), but they do bring afternoon tea, bar drinks and water.

We do the same as Rose; base the amount on use and quality of service.  We break it down by a specific amount per person per day.  A good rule of thumb, for me, is to think of an amount (per person) and ask myself if I think it’s reasonable for the service provided.  If the answer is no then I adjust up or down until it feels comfortable.

We've rented cabanas a number of times, but as we sail on the holidays, we rent for the week. I always tip each of the cabana boys something at the beginning of the week and then again at the end. They work really hard, especially when they are full all of the time like at the holidays. They deserve every penny. Treat them well!

We had a Lido cabana on Eurodam for an 11-night cruise and absolutely loved it...used it all but one day of the trip for some period of time.  Sea days, of course, we used it the most.  Our attendant made sure we had a daily paper before we arrived, always offered to get anything (including the lunch) from the Lido and of course wonderful bar service.  

We handed him an envelope on the last day that had $175 and he was genuinely appreciative.  We also tipped the server who covered during his breaks (usually for about 90 minutes each day) another $40.  It was well worth the wonderful service.

8 hours ago, leerathje said:

Sorry for the ignorance, but how do you book a retreat cabana?

L.

If I remember correctly, before the cruise you can book cabanas only for the entire voyage.  Once on board you can book individual days or for the whole voyage based on what is available.

On Eurodam, individual days were $50 while the entire 11 night voyage was $399.  We booked on board at embarkation and at that time, there were three Lido cabanas that had full-voyage availability; not sure how many Retreat cabanas on the upper deck were available.  We booked on the Lido as it was more protected from the weather (a good idea coming down the coast of California in October) and usable the entire trip.

• Like 1

Thanks for opening up this discussion, we will be on the K'dam for three weeks this winter and have already booked our Retreat Cabana for the entire cruise. The cabanas are smaller on the K'dam  than on some of the other ships so for this reason we snagged a corner unit.  We really enjoy the entire experience, DH prefers no sun and I like a small amount so it works perfect for the both of us.  He stays indoors and I take a little time outdoors..LOL.  I tend to move around the ship  and its nice to know where I can find him. The staff couldn't be more attentive and work very hard making sure you enjoy the experience.  

We tip accordingly  towards the end of the cruise, curious why some of you tip at the beginning also.   

Thanks for the responses everyone!  We're on the Ooosterdam in February, and I scoured the booking pages looking for information.....all I really needed to do was come here!  Love all the assistance we get from fellow CCers!