Costal Helicopters - Juneau

sr71_1

Costal offers:

1) Helicopter to Glacier & Dogsled ride:  3hrs = $539/each

2) Same as above but with additional helicopter glacier landing (exposed lower ice sheet) :  3.5 hrs.  $649

Currently have the family booked on (1) but now thinking to switch to (2).   

Anyone with experience with 1 and 2  - comments?  

I did Option 2 with my adult son a few years ago with Coastal ... it was AWESOME. Although the weather was less than ideal, he still talks about this excursion as being one of his favorites (and he's cruised a lot, including the Galapagos.)

Yes, it's super (stupid) expensive but for us it was a bucket list item.

Let me know if I can answer any other specific questions.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sr71_1 said:

Costal offers:

1) Helicopter to Glacier & Dogsled ride:  3hrs = $539/each

2) Same as above but with additional helicopter glacier landing (exposed lower ice sheet) :  3.5 hrs.  $649

Currently have the family booked on (1) but now thinking to switch to (2).   

Anyone with experience with 1 and 2  - comments?  

I have done the helicopter to the glacier for dgsledding three times- LOVED IT!  By far the best thing on my entire trip!

• Like 1

Done both: The helicopter ride on both is spectacular. For the dog sled ride you land on a snow field; for the other glacier landing, you land in an area where you can walk up to a crevasse - also an incredible experience. I'd do option 2 if you aren't sure if you'll be going back to Alaska.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.    Tried to change from #1 to #2.   Turns out that for #2, Costal only runs 1 helicopter per hour with a max of 6 passengers.   We have 8 in the group so we are out of luck.  

My family is thinking of taking this same excursion. Question---is it better to book the helicopter tour in the morning or in the afternoon? I have been told the am can be challenging due to fog...?? but another site said definitely do am? Thanks for your help. We are going in June of this year.

11 hours ago, busymom-ga said:

My family is thinking of taking this same excursion. Question---is it better to book the helicopter tour in the morning or in the afternoon? I have been told the am can be challenging due to fog...?? but another site said definitely do am? Thanks for your help. We are going in June of this year.

Its the weather, there is rumor fog / low clouds clear in the afternoon, then another that says clouds and fog roll in in the afternoon.     

I did lots of research and came to a null result finding AM versus PM being better.  I choose morning and then if canceled had a 1/2 planned for something in port anyways.