Social media package

Carolyn1964

I used the unlimited social media package on the Joy, it worked great for me.  I stayed connected almost the entire time I was onboard. 

For me it was worth it.  I could stay in touch with my 84 year old mother at home and also with my kids and the grandkids.  We were on a 16 day cruise.

I used it for Facebook Messenger video calls and it worked out fine for that too.

A couple of things to keep in mind.  You cannot click on any links that might be posted on say Facebook.  I found it does not connect with Facebook games so that is something to think about if that is important to you.

I would definitely get it again if I were going on another cruise with a lot of sea days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi There,

Being really newbie here as it's my first cruise.  So you purchase this social media package and it allows you to use Facebook apps (what's app, instagram, snapchat etc)  what other cost through your carrier do you incur if any?  Would you switch your phone to wifi only?  Just a bit confused and trying to gather information here as I have seen then Unlimited Social Media Package reference come up a couple of times.  Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

3 hours ago, Weezyme said:

Hi There,

Being really newbie here as it's my first cruise.  So you purchase this social media package and it allows you to use Facebook apps (what's app, instagram, snapchat etc)  what other cost through your carrier do you incur if any?  Would you switch your phone to wifi only?  Just a bit confused and trying to gather information here as I have seen then Unlimited Social Media Package reference come up a couple of times.  Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

First of all, the "how": Yes, when you board the ship you put your phone in airplane mode (thus turning off the cell phone part of your phone) then you turn on the Wifi and connect to the NCL wifi system (often called "NCL_gateway" or something similar). Then you open a web browser page on your phone and go to "login.com" which should bring up NCL's internet service connection page. You enter your last name and birthdate, and it will look up your cruise package to see what internet package you have either bought or been given. Once it has verified that you have internet minutes or an unlimited package available, you will be able to select "go online" and you'll be connected to the ship's internet system. 

Remember that unless you specifically buy connections for more devices, you are only allowed to connect one device at a time. So if are connected through your phone, but want to use your tablet or laptop (or if you want to let someone else use your connection), you will have to go back to the "login.com" page and select "Logout" in the upper right corner of the page. Then you can log in with your other device, in the same way as above.

You can buy packages that will allow you to connect 2 or 4 devices at at time. Of course, you pay a per device / per day fee for this added convenience. 

Now the "What": NCL offers several different types of internet connection, in amounts ranging from a specific number of minutes to unlimited minutes. The basic package is fine for email and some very slow web browsing. You will not be able to text, stream video, or make internet calls. 

The unlimited package will let you text, and make internet calls (such as Facebook Voice calls, NOT Video calls). 

The Social Media package will let you do all of the above, plus add streaming video and Video calls.

We have always been quite happy with the basic unlimited service, as this allows us to do email, and text between our phones (using FB messenger) while on the ship. On our recent Getaway cruise, we were also able to text to shore based phones...this was new to me as I did not think SMS texting had worked in the past. It may be a result of the upgrading that NCL has been doing to the internet systems on their ships. 

Note that if all you want is the ability to connect between phones ON the ship, and you don't need email or any other internet service, you can just use the NCL App, and for a one time charge of $9.99 per device, you can text between devices running the NCL App. 

Hope that all helps explain it some....

Edited by VideoTech
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Weezyme said:

Yes! Thank you so very much!  We set sail on the Escape Feb 8 and we will take this info with us!  Cheers!

You're welcome. One further point: You might want to check with your cell phone provider to see if they have have a cheap calling package for your destination ports (Caribbean, I'm assuming). Then when you're docked or off the ship in port, you can turn your cell phone back on, pickup messages, make calls, use your cell phone data plan for internet, etc. 

Just be sure to put your phone back in airplane mode, and repeat the process to get back on the NCL Wifi as the ship leaves port.

21 hours ago, VideoTech said:

You're welcome. One further point: You might want to check with your cell phone provider to see if they have have a cheap calling package for your destination ports (Caribbean, I'm assuming). Then when you're docked or off the ship in port, you can turn your cell phone back on, pickup messages, make calls, use your cell phone data plan for internet, etc. 

Just be sure to put your phone back in airplane mode, and repeat the process to get back on the NCL Wifi as the ship leaves port.

Great tips and advise!  Again thank you so much and YES the Western Caribbean!! Feb 8!!

On 1/18/2020 at 1:14 PM, VideoTech said:

The Social Media package will let you do all of the above, plus add streaming video and Video calls.

I wasn't aware that the Social Media Package allowed streaming video? So I can stream Netflix, etc?  That's fantastic. Thanks for the info. 

How is the speed with the unlimited streaming package? We are going on a 16 day Panama Canal on the Joy. My husband likes to sleep in late and I would love to have some quiet time late at night or early morning to mindlessly catch up on things I never have time to see at home plus we are big news junkies. I can upgrade from the 250 minutes we got as a promo for what is a pretty reasonable price.

Also, to clarify what someone mentioned - SMS texting works from the ship to land phones? So I'll be able to keep in touch with my daughter via text? I was planning on going old school email or FB messenger.

On 1/19/2020 at 12:27 PM, esm54687 said:

I wasn't aware that the Social Media Package allowed streaming video? So I can stream Netflix, etc?  That's fantastic. Thanks for the info. 

I believe it does...although remember you're sharing a fairly low bandwidth connection with everyone else - so your viewing experience may not be the best. 

On 1/19/2020 at 1:51 PM, GracyandGravy said:

How is the speed with the unlimited streaming package? We are going on a 16 day Panama Canal on the Joy. My husband likes to sleep in late and I would love to have some quiet time late at night or early morning to mindlessly catch up on things I never have time to see at home plus we are big news junkies. I can upgrade from the 250 minutes we got as a promo for what is a pretty reasonable price.

Also, to clarify what someone mentioned - SMS texting works from the ship to land phones? So I'll be able to keep in touch with my daughter via text? I was planning on going old school email or FB messenger.

I don't personally stream video on board the ships - I prefer to download episodes and things I might like to watch so as not to have to deal with a slow connection. The speed of the internet connection on the ship is nothing at all like what you're used to at home, and you're sharing the connection with everyone else on the ship.

As to SMS: On all my previous cruises, SMS texting has never worked because it's a function of the celluar phone service, not the internet data service.  Therefore I was very surprised, my Getaway cruise a week ago, to be able to send and receive SMS texts using the unlimited package (not the social media package) with my phone in airplane mode (cell service turned off). I can't speak to using SMS texting on any ship except the Getaway, as that is my only experience having it work.   

Edited by VideoTech

3 minutes ago, VideoTech said:

I believe it does...although remember you're sharing a fairly low bandwidth connection with everyone else - so your viewing experience may not be the best. 

Wait..... "you believe it does" or you KNOW it does...... you're giving info to people based on experience or rumor??   You speak very confidently in #4 that it does but the literature you provided in #7 seems to contradict your info and now "you believe it does"??? 

Sorry to hold you accountable for the info you provided but I come on here to get real info and not "I believe" 

2 hours ago, esm54687 said:

Wait..... "you believe it does" or you KNOW it does...... you're giving info to people based on experience or rumor??   You speak very confidently in #4 that it does but the literature you provided in #7 seems to contradict your info and now "you believe it does"??? 

Sorry to hold you accountable for the info you provided but I come on here to get real info and not "I believe" 

I'm quite certain that the social media does not allow streaming such as Netflix or the like. It "may" allow you to play something that is embedded in the social media site, but does not allow actual streaming.

The info from the package for the social media package is 

The Unlimited Social Media Wi-Fi package gives you access to majority of social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, WeChat, etc.)

• • The package allows you to view, post and upload videos on social media and also chat on all popular messenger platforms.
  • • Price displayed is per day use. Total cruise rate will be calculated based on the number of cruise days.
  • • Can be used only on one device at a time.
  • • This package does not include email access or web browsing.

This Unlimited Premium Wi-fi package gives you access to unlimited web surfing, email access (including VPN), social media access, all apps.

• • The package also gives you streaming options via YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Audible, Hulu etc.
  • • Price displayed is per day use. Total cruise rate will be calculated based on the number of cruise days.
  • • Cruises of 13 days and longer will have a lower rate.
  • • Please note that some on demand content may not be available. Live streaming channels are based on your subscription package and location

39 minutes ago, GracyandGravy said:

I'm quite certain that the social media does not allow streaming such as Netflix or the like. It "may" allow you to play something that is embedded in the social media site, but does not allow actual streaming.

The info from the package for the social media package is 

The Unlimited Social Media Wi-Fi package gives you access to majority of social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, WeChat, etc.)

• • The package allows you to view, post and upload videos on social media and also chat on all popular messenger platforms.
  • • This package does not include email access or web browsing.

This Unlimited Premium Wi-fi package gives you access to unlimited web surfing, email access (including VPN), social media access, all apps.

• • The package also gives you streaming options via YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Audible, Hulu etc.
  • • Cruises of 13 days and longer will have a lower rate.
  • • Please note that some on demand content may not be available. Live streaming channels are based on your subscription package and location

I can confirm that when I cruised in May 2019 the Social Media Package did not allow any video streaming. So when @VideoTechstated it did I was very shocked and happy about the upgrade to the package to include video streaming such as Netflix (which I specifically mentioned so there was no misunderstanding as to what I was asking about), etc. Then it turned out there was no real experience or knowledge about the package and further their 2 posts contradicted the information being told.

Pet peeve of mine is someone answering with zero actual knowledge and only regurgitate info they hear / read even when wrong. Sets fellow cruisers up for disappointment.  This may explain my frustrated post #13. 

Thank you for following up to clarify. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, megansdad1 said:

Also note, I added the NCL app.  it is cheaper for the social media package if you pre order it online.  Per the app, it is priced at $87.50 for my 7 day cruise. 

Here's a question I haven't seen nor have thought to ask when I'm on board:

If you have the promo for the 250 minutes internet...... you can upgrade to the unlimited internet using the 250 minute cash value....   has anyone tried to upgrade to the Social Media Package instead using the cash value? 

On 1/20/2020 at 7:15 PM, VideoTech said:

As to SMS: On all my previous cruises, SMS texting has never worked because it's a function of the celluar phone service, not the internet data service.  Therefore I was very surprised, my Getaway cruise a week ago, to be able to send and receive SMS texts using the unlimited package (not the social media package) with my phone in airplane mode (cell service turned off). I can't speak to using SMS texting on any ship except the Getaway, as that is my only experience having it work.   

FYI, many/most phones and cell service carriers allow texting and calling via Wi-Fi -- but you have to set it up in advance, while you're still connected to the original cell network -- you can't set it up after you're already out at sea and in Airplane Mode.  

To find out how to set it up, just google your phone type and your cell phone carrier and wifi calling (like "iphone verizon wifi calling" or "android sprint wifi calling") and you'll find out where to change your settings.

Once you have Wi-Fi calling set up, you can just leave it turned on -- set it and forget it.  Any time you have wifi service but not cell service (either because there's no tower strength, or you're in Airplane Mode with Wi-Fi turned on), you can send text messages and make/receive phone calls just like normal.  

I actually use Wi-Fi calling all the time at home, because my cell tower signal strength is often one bar or no bars, but I have great internet at home.  

Note that this will require an actual Wi-Fi connection -- not just a "social media" connection -- and it will only work while you're actually logged into the network (if you have limited minutes and log in and log out each time you use it).