W. Caribbean cruise and streaming services?

erdoran

Hubby is a huge Sirius and Netflix fan.  As we were debating whether or not to get trip wifi, I mentioned that there is wifi that supports streaming, which got his attention....but...I know when I’ve travelled internationally I’ve found various streaming services said they are only for US use.

Anyone know about Sirius, Netflix or other streaming services, whether they do allow streaming in places like Cozumel, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, etc?  And if we pay top dollar for the ship wifi that supports streaming, does it actually work?

tia

When you stream on board an NCL ship, I believe you're streaming from a U.S. registered IP address, so your U.S. Netflix and Sirius subscriptions should work. 

What's more important is your final question. It depends on which ship you're on (you didn't say) and some of them have updated internet systems, some don't yet. It also depends on how many other people are trying to do the same thing at the same time. In general, do not expect the kind of streaming experience you likely get at home. A ship's bandwidth and speed are much more limited. Some people report that their streaming works fine, others report that it does not. 

As to whether it's worth it - well, I personally wouldn't spend the money. I'm on a cruise, and there's plenty of other things to do! But that's just me....I don't need the premium service as all I need is to check email every now and then, and I try not to do that very much either!!