Laem Chabang/Bangkok/Pattaya questions

cruisehabits

Hello CruiseCritic friends!

We will soon be cruising in the SE Asia region and will have an overnight in Thailand.  Our ship will dock @ Laem Chabang.

We have been to Bangkok before and we are trying to plan a nice day/overnight in Pattaya.  My understanding is that it is roughly a 30 minute ride from the cruise terminal.

I am trying to get a better understanding of transportation and the BEST way to work this out.  Is there some sort of Baht 400-500 charge for a taxi within the port.

How far of a walk is it from where the ships dock (we are cruising with Celebrity) to the front gates of the port?  We are healthy and can handle a walk with our backpacks so long as its a safe walk.  I believe I read a taxi must have a special permit to RE-Enter the port.  I assume the ride out will not be so much of a problem.

I am trying to plan, so as not to be scammed and make the best of our evening stay in Pattaya.

If you have any information or feedback to help us out it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance and kind regards!

It was our experience one year ago that taxis/transfer have to pay a tax (25$) in order to reach the pier.

Best to arrange a taxi/transfer before hand, as it is an industrial port.

Even though we've been to BK before, we decided that the best way to make the most of the overnight is to travel to BK, spend the night there, and be back the 2nd day.

We've used Oriental Express as our transfer.

2 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

It was our experience one year ago that taxis/transfer have to pay a tax (25$) in order to reach the pier.

Best to arrange a taxi/transfer before hand, as it is an industrial port.

Even though we've been to BK before, we decided that the best way to make the most of the overnight is to travel to BK, spend the night there, and be back the 2nd day.

We've used Oriental Express as our transfer.

Thank you for your reply 😊

So if we take a return taxi back toward the port on the day of our return.....can we exit the cab prior to actually entering the port ( to not have to pay the $25) and just walk to security/checkin area safely?

Edited by cruisehabits

Just now, cruisehabits said:

Thank you for your reply 😊

So if we take a return taxi back toward the port on the day of our return.....can we exit the cab ( to not have to pay the $25) and just walk to security/checkin area safely?

Sorry, can't answer since we had the transfer "door to door" (pier to pier). Again, it was our understanding that it is not walkable. Best try your roll call for additional info.

We have just been to this port a couple weeks ago and was also there last year in December.  Both times we used Happy Taxi.  You should be able to Google their name.  They are very reasonable.  This year we they took us to Bangkok for a day trip and last year they took us to Nongnooch and Pattaya for a day trip.

2 hours ago, LBSKI said:

We have just been to this port a couple weeks ago and was also there last year in December.  Both times we used Happy Taxi.  You should be able to Google their name.  They are very reasonable.  This year we they took us to Bangkok for a day trip and last year they took us to Nongnooch and Pattaya for a day trip.

Thank you for your response.

I checked their website and have emailed them.

Rather than do a day trip, we intend to spend the night at a hotel in Pattaya.  We figured we hit a spa, enjoy a nice evening meal and enjoy the visit.  I'm more concerned about our return trip to the terminal and if we would be allowed in without being charged crazy fees.  If we cannot be driven to the terminal and have to walk we'd be okay with it.

I seem to be reading that an additional $25 is being charged to have outside taxi's enter the port to bring people to the terminal.

Happy Taxi rate for round trip to Pattaya is just of $50 USD which is very fair....I'm just trying to determine if there will be an additional fee or not.

Thank you again 😊

8 hours ago, cruisehabits said:

Thank you for your response.

I checked their website and have emailed them.

Rather than do a day trip, we intend to spend the night at a hotel in Pattaya.  We figured we hit a spa, enjoy a nice evening meal and enjoy the visit.  I'm more concerned about our return trip to the terminal and if we would be allowed in without being charged crazy fees.  If we cannot be driven to the terminal and have to walk we'd be okay with it.

I seem to be reading that an additional $25 is being charged to have outside taxi's enter the port to bring people to the terminal.

Happy Taxi rate for round trip to Pattaya is just of $50 USD which is very fair....I'm just trying to determine if there will be an additional fee or not.

Thank you again 😊

We had a group of 5 and they drove us around all day to what we wanted to see and returned us.  It ended up at about $37 each.  That was for 9 in the morning until our return at 8 pm.  If there was an extra fee to get into the port, it was included.  Just ask them if it includes everything.

8 hours ago, LBSKI said:

We had a group of 5 and they drove us around all day to what we wanted to see and returned us.  It ended up at about $37 each.  That was for 9 in the morning until our return at 8 pm.  If there was an extra fee to get into the port, it was included.  Just ask them if it includes everything.

I did email them and they responded.

They quoted 2,600 baht (just over $85 USD).

I believe I will take a taxi from those available from the cruise terminal direct to Pattaya.  We will just take a taxi back to the terminal the following day and if we have to pay the extra fee so be it.  They seem to be on target with pricing.  I have found that a taxi from the terminal to Pattaya should cost roughly $25-$30 USD one way.  So round trip with the port fee added is fair.

They did ask for a partial deposit now.  Rather then prepay we have decided to work it out when we get there.

Thank you to everyone for their input, advice and experience.  Very much appreciated.

Safe travels to all!  😊

6 hours ago, cruisehabits said:

I believe I will take a taxi from those available from the cruise terminal direct to Pattaya.  We will just take a taxi back to the terminal the following day and if we have to pay the extra fee so be it.  They seem to be on target with pricing.  I have found that a taxi from the terminal to Pattaya should cost roughly $25-$30 USD one way.  So round trip with the port fee added is fair.

They did ask for a partial deposit now.  Rather then prepay we have decided to work it out when we get there.

Thank you to everyone for their input, advice and experience.  Very much appreciated.

Safe travels to all!  😊

We did prepay what was the equivalent of $7 per person.  There was no problem.

18 hours ago, cruisehabits said:

Safe travels to all!  😊

We were there in November 2017 for two days. In our party there were two couples so we wanted a spacious vehicle and we planned to return to the comfort of the ship and not stay in Pattaya. There was no shortage of taxis. We hired a lady who had a large twin/dual cab ute/truck(usa) and she spoke reasonable english. Our itinerary on day one was to see and hold baby tigers, some local lunch and some sightseeing. If you tell them what you wish to see and approx return time to the ship for day 1, and that you may hire them for a second day, and you are patient and willing to haggle you will get a good deal. Tip - before agreeing to the final price inspect their vehicle - air con? sufficient and comfortable seating? looks clean and in good condition?

I was willing to pay around USD70 per day but our driver agreed to USD50, on the first day we gave her USD60 as we were happy with her help and safe driving.

On the second day she was waiting for us at the agreed place and time. We went to the Pattaya floating markets for a few hours with lunch then to downtown Pattaya for a massage and a wander around the beach area with occasional stops at anything that caught our attention. She was very helpful with our needs like changing money, buying fruit, a reasonable massage place, etc and she was always nearby. again we gave her USD60. 

Edited by HerbMac

5 hours ago, HerbMac said:

We were there in November 2017 for two days. In our party there were two couples so we wanted a spacious vehicle and we planned to return to the comfort of the ship and not stay in Pattaya. There was no shortage of taxis. We hired a lady who had a large twin/dual cab ute/truck(usa) and she spoke reasonable english. Our itinerary on day one was to see and hold baby tigers, some local lunch and some sightseeing. If you tell them what you wish to see and approx return time to the ship for day 1, and that you may hire them for a second day, and you are patient and willing to haggle you will get a good deal. Tip - before agreeing to the final price inspect their vehicle - air con? sufficient and comfortable seating? looks clean and in good condition?

I was willing to pay around USD70 per day but our driver agreed to USD50, on the first day we gave her USD60 as we were happy with her help and safe driving.

On the second day she was waiting for us at the agreed place and time. We went to the Pattaya floating markets for a few hours with lunch then to downtown Pattaya for a massage and a wander around the beach area with occasional stops at anything that caught our attention. She was very helpful with our needs like changing money, buying fruit, a reasonable massage place, etc and she was always nearby. again we gave her USD60. 

Thank you 😊

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2020 at 8:44 AM, CissyFuss said:

When you return home, cruisehabits, please share your taxi experience to and from Pattaya.  We're also looking at an overnight stay in Pattaya and trying to avoid being ripped off.

I'll do my very best to try and keep ya posted....IF we get there.

So far everything has been fine for our sailing (RE: coronavirus) with the exception of multiple changes in ports of call.  We are now scheduled to port in Thailand in less than 24 hours.  This was not part of our original itinerary for this sailing.  We still intend to go to Pattaya.  

Ship exchange rate for currency is 2760 Baht for $100 USD.  Current "fair" exchange rate should be closer to 3120 Baht for $100 USD.  I'll also let you know our exchange rates once we get it all figured out.

I suspect the taxi rate to be somewhere between $30 to $40 USD each way...but again I will respond back  😊

Safe travels to all!  😊

• Thanks 1

Can you please specify: is it FORBIDDEN to walk out the port and there is security who actively prevents you (these cartel guys own you) or it’s just to far/uncomfortable to walk for most?

I’d gladly walk 3 miles/one hour to avoid the taxi mafia and just catch a baht bus. That’s a matter of principle.

Hello all ~

Unfortunately I will not be able to give an answer to all the questions asked.

We are currently on board Celebrity Millennium and now due to further restrictions at various ports; Celebrity has decided to cancel the rest of this voyage and return to Singapore.  So we will not port in Laem Chabang.

Celebrity had advised a free shuttle to Pattaya would be provided for us had we made it, however; perhaps they were providing it due to SO many other changes with the itinerary.

So we will not be able to give accurate information regarding questions asked.

Safe travels to all!  ☺️

7 hours ago, cruisehabits said:

We are currently on board Celebrity Millennium and now due to further restrictions at various ports; Celebrity has decided to cancel the rest of this voyage and return to Singapore.  So we will not port in Laem Chabang.

So sorry for your interupted vacation. All the situation is very sad.

Was at Laem Chabang a few days ago on Sapphire Princess.  Taxis readily available near gangway. Charge was $80 US total for 4 - 6 people.  We were a group of 4 and decided to use Grab so walked to port gates which took less than 5 minutes. Easily done. Once you get outside the gates there were guys there offering a taxi service - unmarked cars and vans. Their cost was quite a bit more than Grab so we declined.  When our car turned up they would not let us get in and threatened the poor driver by walking round the car and taking photos of it and the licence plate. He refused to take us then which was fine as we didn’t want any harm to come to him.  We went back inside the gates and took other transport to Pattaya.  We had a private tour arranged the next day with pick- up outside the gate and had no issue but those guys weren’t there so maybe that’s why.  Do not use the unmarked vehicles waiting outside the port gates - they are nothing but thugs.

• Thanks 1