Encore Haven Question/Concern

The Cruiseman 1

We have sailed in the Haven on several cruises and on different ships. Unfortunately, you have no control over how the parents of children choose to make them behave (or not).  We've had cruises where there were kids in the Haven pool who were very polite and well behaved, and cruises where the kids in the Haven pool were completely out of control and ruined the experience for everyone else. 

I have read that one of the two hot tubs is supposed to be "Adults Only" - but I've never really seen that enforced. 

If you prefer a quieter atmosphere, head to the Haven sun deck above and outside. This is restricted to age 16 and up. Of course, there's no pool there, so if you want a dip in the pool you'll just have to decide if it's worth it to put up with whatever the kids in the Haven pool are doing.

35 minutes ago, VideoTech said:

We have sailed in the Haven on several cruises and on different ships. Unfortunately, you have no control over how the parents of children choose to make them behave (or not).  We've had cruises where there were kids in the Haven pool who were very polite and well behaved, and cruises where the kids in the Haven pool were completely out of control and ruined the experience for everyone else. 

I have read that one of the two hot tubs is supposed to be "Adults Only" - but I've never really seen that enforced. 

If you prefer a quieter atmosphere, head to the Haven sun deck above and outside. This is restricted to age 16 and up. Of course, there's no pool there, so if you want a dip in the pool you'll just have to decide if it's worth it to put up with whatever the kids in the Haven pool are doing.

The newer ships Bliss and Encore only have one hot tub in the Haven courtyard which complicates things with lots of kids.  But I agree the Haven sundeck is the place to be and so good that NCL added hot tubs to the Haven sundeck since Escape.

Its very crazy that on a brand new ship Encore, the main pool and Haven pool were recently closed because of bodily waste.  Is this a new trend because the Encore only has been sailing for several weeks and WTH are people/kids doing?

Edited by david_sobe

39 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

The newer ships Bliss and Encore only have one hot tub in the Haven courtyard which complicates things with lots of kids.  But I agree the Haven sundeck is the place to be and so good that NCL added hot tubs to the Haven sundeck since Escape.

Its very crazy that on a brand new ship Encore, the main pool and Haven pool were recently closed because of bodily waste.  Is this a new trend because the Encore only has been sailing for several weeks and WTH are people/kids doing?

On our sailing there was a parent with a child that was under 1 year old and definitely the age where one would need a diaper letting the child float (with her hands underneath) in the Haven pool. Then we saw her carry the baby into the hot tub and hold

the baby in her arms. Yeah....that's how these things happen. Why aren't the crew saying something???

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ashleyriley said:

Here's my experience: We have been on two Haven sailings. One on the Jade in Europe and one on the Breakaway to the Caribbean. Both times, the Haven pool area was overun with kids. On the Jade we saw kids cannonball into the tiny Haven pool then proceed to take soaking wet pool hands and dig into the cookies and snacks that are by the pool. On the Breakaway,  kids were using snorkels and flippers in the pool, splashing everyone all around. Also,  jumping and swimming into both hot tubes. I would have loved to use the pool and hot tubs but was not able to because of the inconsiderate parents of the children. I guess you just have to go into booking the Haven knowing that this type of scenario is a very real possibility. This will not deter me from booking the Haven again as we enjoy so many other perks, food and service. I just wish NCL would take a stand against the behavior that could diminish the other guest's experience but it seems like they are afraid to say anything .

When was your Breakawy sailing? I'm on Encore 2/2 and hope I don't experience this.  However, I have no qualms about saying something, lol

On 12/29/2019 at 1:03 AM, ashleyriley said:

I just wish NCL would take a stand against the behavior that could diminish the other guest's experience but it seems like they are afraid to say anything .

It would be nice if NCL took a firmer stand but it would also be nice is parents controlled their offspring better. Consideration for others works well for me. I've been lucky but go-carts is a big kiddie attraction, drawing more kids than other ships.

Also keep in mind that overrun with kids and unruly, can mean two different thing to different people.  For example, I can remember reading someone else's review of a cruise that I was on.  In their review, the person went on and on about how terrible the kids were.   Were there kids there, yes.  Did select kids have some unruly moments, yes. Were things completely overrun, no.  Did it have any negative effect on my cruise, no.    

Also like others have said, kid density seems to be driven by when you sail.  Avoid when kids are not in school and it should be a different experience vs school vacations.  

5 hours ago, megansdad1 said:

Also keep in mind that overrun with kids and unruly, can mean two different thing to different people.  For example, I can remember reading someone else's review of a cruise that I was on.  In their review, the person went on and on about how terrible the kids were.   Were there kids there, yes.  Did select kids have some unruly moments, yes. Were things completely overrun, no.  Did it have any negative effect on my cruise, no.    

Also like others have said, kid density seems to be driven by when you sail.  Avoid when kids are not in school and it should be a different experience vs school vacations.  

Sometimes it only takes three kids to ruin something. The first sea day my husband and I went in to the Horizon lounge

and were shocked we were the only people (it seemed) in there. We soon found out why. There were 3 boys aprox 12, 9 and 7 playing hide and seek, wrestling, screaming, jumping over couches and narrowly missing the glass coffee tables by inches.

We sat way to the starboard side thinking that they would leave soon. Nope. They were there everytime we checked

during the day. First of all there were so many other things for them to do I can't understand why they were there and where were the parents? And yes they utilized the whole lounge playing hide and seek including where we sat. They were there many more times including in the pool area.