Norwegian Jewel searches for overboard passenger off NZ coast

They were supposed to be in Tauranga today but that call has been cancelled and they will proceed direct to Auckland . Tauranga will be a sorely missed highlight for many passengers . .. Rotorua and Hobbiton will be why many booked the cruise .

Having just read the article I’m going to risk playing devil’s advocate and say that I think the feelings of disappointment expressed are reasonable.  

Outside of the poor family of the deceased, thousands of people would have been effected on that day, from the passengers to the hundreds of businesses that would have benefited from the ship stopping. However, it doesn’t sound like anyone interviewed is arguing the cruise lines decision to spend time searching. Or no one in the article has spoke poorly about the deceased (as I think most people are aware that severe mental health issues inhibit your ability to think rationally).

But it’s human nature to feel disappointment or frustration when things we are looking forward to don’t happen, especially when these things happen during times in our life when we are heavily invested (both financially and emotionally) in trying to be happy.
There would of course be conflicting feelings of sadness for the tragic events, but I guess the debate here is just how much we are expected to prioritise one feeling against the other or whether thinking something is any worse than saying it.  

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Disappointment is understandable, however, they way it is expressed by some in the article lacked empathy.

I read the article and none of the interviews seemed insensitive. Though at one point the reporter I think uses poetic license when he calls a couple "annoyed" because what they said they didn't sound annoyed just disappointed like everyone and they even praised ship procedures. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I read the article and none of the interviews seemed insensitive. Though at one point the reporter I think uses poetic license when he calls a couple "annoyed" because what they said they didn't sound annoyed just disappointed like everyone and they even praised ship procedures. 

Perhaps it was the use of the 'annoyed' that makes their comments read worse than just disappointment.

• Like 2