Six Ships and 60 days in the Caribbean

kelmac

6 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Wow, thats quite a trip, sailing around South America and ending up in Vancouver. But 48 days on a ship, in an interior cabin too. I'm impressed!

Hi J,

This past February we spent 87 days with Cunard (Victoria) in an inside cabin for their world cruise.  We spend so little time in our cabin that it's not a big deal to us.  San Francisco to NYC, so no international flights -- it was wonderful.

Kel

3 hours ago, kelmac said:

Hi J,

This past February we spent 87 days with Cunard (Victoria) in an inside cabin for their world cruise.  We spend so little time in our cabin that it's not a big deal to us.  San Francisco to NYC, so no international flights -- it was wonderful.

Kel

Wow. I’m jealous. 😊 

Just out of curiosity what does an 87 day cruise cost? 

38 minutes ago, BeachChik said:

Wow. I’m jealous. 😊 

Just out of curiosity what does an 87 day cruise cost? 

Around $25,000 + pre-paid gratuities for the first 80 days (Cunard Victoria) + $2,000 for the transatlantic from London to NYC for the last 7 days.(Cunard Queen Mary 2).  We saved for a couple of years leading up to my wife's retirement and we made 2019 our "big year" of travel.  

Kel

One additional thought that some people do not realize is a factor:

When you are gone from home for 60 days, your hometown costs drop (my wife doesn't think this is a big deal).

For example, utilities are lower, purchases for daily items goes away (groceries, entertainment*, eating out#, movies, gasoline...,).

So yes, 60 days of cruising is expensive, but there are some savings on the other side.

Kel

*when I'm home I play golf three times a week, so that's a fair chunk of change.

# at home we eat about 70% of our meals at restaurants.

47 minutes ago, SG65CB said:

How did you do laundry?

(or did you just pack a big bottle of Febreze?)

SG,

We got free laundry on both Celebrity ships; Crystal has an onboard laundromat; between our first and second cruise we went to a coin-op laundry near our hotel (we had a car); after our second cruise we went to a coin-op laundry in a very interesting area of Miami (the show was free); sent a few items in on the Nieuw Statendam using their "as much as you can stuff into the bag" deal.

A few items we washed in the sink of the cabin and dried in the shower enclosure. After doing a World Cruise earlier in the year, laundry is not a burden anymore.  😉

• Like 2