Ec dollars v us dollars

LouiseB

Hi peeps

off to the Caribbean in Three weeks and seeking advice on currency. Having reviewed the islands one takes euros (Martinique), 4 take EC dollars and 4 take US dollars. Do I really need to take three currencies or will US dollars be accepted everywhere?

thanks as always

Well if you are off to Martinique in about 3 weeks its not a P&O cruise, but I would agree with jeanlyon, use US dollars but understand your change will be in local currency. Martinique really would be best with Euros but also use your plastic, its taken everywhere but take some photo id if you do. Just came back from three weeks in Barbados and we always had to produce photo ID if it was a duty free purchase. I use my drivers licence but passport would also be accepted.

Have a great time!

Peter and Jenny

53 minutes ago, Zombatar said:

Well if you are off to Martinique in about 3 weeks its not a P&O cruise, but I would agree with jeanlyon, use US dollars but understand your change will be in local currency. Martinique really would be best with Euros but also use your plastic, its taken everywhere but take some photo id if you do. Just came back from three weeks in Barbados and we always had to produce photo ID if it was a duty free purchase. I use my drivers licence but passport would also be accepted.

Have a great time!

Peter and Jenny

Hi yes it’s a p&o cruise - we were due to call at st Vincent but the ports have been changed and we are now calling at Martinique instead. 

We do these cruises regularly and only take US dollars and a few Euros which we keep from year to year. We have a credit card with zero interest which comes in handy. I haven't had EC dollars in change for years now. Most people get it now that if you pay in US$ they will give you the change in the same currency. Their tills work it out for them. 

Agree with other posts.  We've always only taken US$ which have always been accepted in EC$ islands.   In EC$ areas though remember if paying in US$ to ask for change in US$ as you may end up with EC$ you can't spend elsewhere. 

We did take € for Martinque though.  We found on the beach the rates for loungers/umbrellas much better in Euros than US$.  We once went to Guadeloupe and they wouldn't take anything other than Euros.  (They were involved in some political protest at the time so it may have been related to that situation.)

Like tartanexile, where we can use our fee-free credit card we do with its good exchange rate but especially in the Caribbean paying for beach furniture, rum punches etc 😉 we find we do need more cash than say a Med cruise.