Cold Weather Clothing for Antarctic

Paul S

I’d be grateful if somebody who has been with Hurtigruten to the Antarctic can help me.

We are going next month on Roald Amundsen, and I thought I had bought everything I needed, but now I am having doubts.

I have thermal base layers top and bottom, plus a fleece and if I need them light thermal leggings as an intermediate layer under my non insulated waterproof trousers.

Does the Hurtigruten jacket have any insulation or is it just a thin outer shell? If it’s the latter the store is suggesting I will need an insulating soft shell over my fleece and under the outer shell. Is this correct? Would a heavy flannel or similar long sleeve shirt be a suitable alternative, under my fleece? Do I need an intermediate layer between the thermal base pants and the non insulated waterproof trousers? Would jogging bottoms be OK for this? What do other men wear?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

It's hard to answer exactly because it will depend on the actual weather on the day (temperature and wind) so it's usually advised to bring several type of layers and alternate them or pile them up as needed. Hurtigruten's jacket is a good windproof/waterproof shell but it's not padded so it's not warm (but it does windproof very well). I would take a base layers + 2 or 3 other type of layers (for instance  : wool or fleece shirt, thicker wool sweater, maybe a light padded vest or jacket).

I think joggings or fleece pants would work as a second layer underneath the waterproof trousers, but I think most of the time you will not need two layers. When you are on land if you walk a bit you are quickly warm. A second layer might be useful in case of longer zodiac rides.

It's not that cold in Antarctica (around 0°C) but the wind can have a chilling effect.

I went twice with MS Fram in Antarctica and I usually wore just the base layer and one additional (wool) layer under the jacket and just one base layer under the waterproof pants.

• Like 1

I went there on another expedition cruise, but the basic's are the same. I used long johns and a longsleeved thermal undershirt. Above  that a sweater. Next layers need a zipper in front, in my case a fleece shirt. On top of that the provided outershell. Make sure you can cover your neck and head either by hoody or scarf and hat. The weather can be calm 5 degrees celcius and sunny, so all zippers open. Or it can be windy cloudy 0 degrees, all zippers closed headgear on. Take thin gloves for photograpy and thicker gloves on top if it gets real windy. Using the zodiacs to go ashore there is a distinct possibillity that you will get splashed, invest in waterproof overgloves, and use a waterproof pant over the long johns.

Once ashore u will be moving around and will overheat quickly, so use the zippers to open up the clothing.

Take along a really waterproof backpack to put camera gear and clothing in during zodiacs crossing to shore. Camera's don't like seawater very much and when the sea is choppy and windy you will get wet somewhat.

Enjoy!

Some weather examples and clothing open or shut.

With this I was never really cold. Oh put on at least two pair of socks, I used three, and choose your boot on the ship accordingly.

This eas on the Polar Star , antarctic peninsula, 2009

P2050714.JPG.jpg

P2061409.JPG.jpg

P2071571.JPG.jpg

P2071656.JPG.jpg

P2071753.JPG.jpg

P2092366.JPG.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from Antarctica aboard the MS Midnatsol.  

I wore one pair of heavy wool socks with the boots provided and my feet were never cold.

Best advice I received on these board was to layer, good wool socks, and waterproof pants.

My hands were cold only when I removed my gloves to take pictures.  I took hot pockets but never

used them.

Walking/trekking sticks were provided.

I hope your expedition is as awesome as ours!

• Like 2

On 1/11/2020 at 9:14 PM, irisb said:

Just returned from Antarctica aboard the MS Midnatsol.  

We sailed there on her almost exactly two years from when you were there. We wore shorts on the ship during the day 🙂 And, aren't their soups just insanely good?!?

• Like 1