LA Hotel (not in Long Beach) pre-cruise

RTR 21-0

Sailing out in April.  Hubs wants to fly in few days early and checkout LA, specifically the Hollywood area, around the walk of fame, etc.  I’ve been looking at hotels and just when I think I find one that’s in a walkable area to see enough attractions to satisfy him I see they are in “seedy or gritty” areas.  I know we will prob have to take a lyft to a few things like the Hollywood sign or check out rodeo drive (looking only, no buying lol) but can anyone recommend a nice hotel for 2 nights that won’t break the bank around the area I’ve mentioned?  

The Hollywood Walk of Fame takes about 15min to visit.

The area can be considered "seedy" so if that is where you want to stay then that is the description of what you will find there. LA has much more to offer than the sign and that stretch of sidewalk!

I suggest that you tell folks your actual budget in $$s as everyone's bank is different.

12 hours ago, RTR 21-0 said:

I’ve been looking at hotels and just when I think I find one that’s in a walkable area to see enough attractions to satisfy him I see they are in “seedy or gritty” areas.

I agree with riffatsea-- the area where the walk of fame sits is quite seedy-- not a place that would be top of my list to stay in greater LA. As they mention, the walk of fame doesn't take much time to visit and the majority of it is fronted by gift shops and closed store fronts. One of the not so hidden gems along this stretch is Musso & Frank Grill which I highly recommend for at least a drink but dinner as well. 

The are around Hollywood & Highland is nicer-- you have the Loews Hollywood Hotel and the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel there which are both quite nice. Both of them are in the $200-400 a night range depending on the date. Moving further west to the Sunset Strip there area number of hotels for a variety of budgets-- its less seedy-- maybe more honky tonk. Its not super upscale like you'll find in Beverly Hills, but it's definitely nicer than the stretch of Hollywood Blvd you were asking about. A fun, and surprisingly not wildly expensive option, would be to stay at the Magic Castle Hotel which gives you access at night to the Magic Castle-- an extremely entertaining evening of watching magicians in a private club. 

Personally I would find a place in either Santa Monica or Beverly Hills that fits your budget and Uber/Lyft in and out of Hollywood to see what you want to see. The Hollywood sign is actually best viewed from a distance. You cant really get up to it unless you hike in and out-- about 2 hours on foot on a trail. 

As others have mentioned, you don't really want to stay IN Hollywood close to walk of fame. Made that mistake once.

On all my trips to LA now, I stay in Glendale. Very nice area and then you can take an Uber or Lyft to Hollywood. It wasn't very expensive its relatively close (in miles - not minutes due to traffic).

Thank you both so much for the info.  My son & I stayed in Glendale few years back for a  championship game and loved that area.  My husband likes to be able to leave a hotel and walk everywhere and I’m trying to tell him not all cities are like that.  After I posted last night I did see the Loews and few others in the highland street area that I think will work great but definitely going to check out the Santa Monica area & Magic Castle.  

I love Santa Monica...But, yes, many find it pricey...a good alternative in that area is Marina Del Rey...Look around Washington Blvd. and Admiralty Way as they near the beach... lots of restaurants, walking distance close to the Venice Boardwalk...a short ride up to Santa Monica...You can use Uber, the Metro or a HOHO bus tour to go see Hollywood and Beverly Hills...

In an interesting location in the West Hollywood area which many on here like is the Farmer’s Daughter motel...across the street from CBS, the Grove and the Farmers’ Market...interesting area, though nothing spectacular...

Edited by Bruin Steve

2 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

I love Santa Monica...But, yes, many find it pricey...a good alternative in that area is Marina Del Rey...Look around Washington Blvd. and Admiralty Way as they near the beach... lots of restaurants, walking distance close to the Venice Boardwalk...a short ride up to Santa Monica...You can use Uber, the Metro or a HOHO bus tour to go see Hollywood and Beverly Hills...

In an interesting location in the West Hollywood area which many on here like is the Farmer’s Daughter motel...across the street from CBS, the Grove and the Farmers’ Market...interesting area, though nothing spectacular...

When I visited with my son we went to a taping of the Craig Ferguson show at CBS, then to the Grove & Farmers Market and I really liked that area.  Didn’t have time to venture past that point.  I’m thinking I need to research staying in one if the other areas and look into the HIGO tours.  Give us a chance to see more of the beach & other areas than just the touristy sites.  

Thanks for the input!