Does Medicare cover ship Dr. treatment in US waters?

erdoran

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

I just changed my medicare Advantage plan precisely because I have started to travel outside the US.  My new plan has a flex element that allows for out-of-network coverage, so I have coverage regardless of where I might be.  It also eliminates the $50,000 lifetime max for foreign travel that is attached to many policies.  It doesn't specifically say anything about evacuation but covers "emergency, urgent care and ambulance" - I might be naive but I would assume that emergency evacuation from a ship is an ambulance (just on steroids) and would be covered.

From what I understand, and I may wrong....if you are in a port anywhere in the world and they call an ambulance to take you the hospital it's covered.  I don't think it includes air evacuation, but next time I call, I'll ask.

Personally....the cost of the trip insurance is so minimal I'd rather be covered from all sides.

I know this is a bit off-topic, but with all the mentions of medical evacuation I thought I'd mention that there are certain areas/cruises where medivac/helicopter evacuation is not possible at all.

While researching my 'bucket list' transatlantic cruise on Cunard, I found out that there are 2 days in the middle of a transatlantic cruise during which NO evacuation is possible AT ALL.  While I don't ever expect a medical emergency on a cruise, I had to seriously consider that because I do have some chronic conditions.  I checked with the NCL Access department as well and same info.  In the middle of the ocean for 48 hours or so the ships are too far from shore for any outside help.  (Cunard said they have two doctors onboard their transatlantic cruises to help with stabilizing patients until the ship reaches a point where evacuation is possible.)

So, insurance or not, something to consider if you have medical issues.

"Medical evacuation" usually also covers from the country you are in to your own country or hospital close to home. The helicopter or ship is only going to take you to the nearest medical facility the doctors deem appropriate for you. If you are in Spain, and unable to fly home in a regular aircraft, a medical evacuation is needed, or you stay in a hospital in Spain.

Another cost is if the worst happens. If you or a loved one dies onboard the "repatriation of remains" costs from $5,000 to $8,000. Most travel medical policies I've seen also include this. A mortuary has to remove the remains at the port, and you have to arrange for the "remains" to be sent home via air.

Regular part A and B Medicare are limited as explained before. Not all Supplemental part B or Medicare Advantage plans cover you while abroad or "on the high seas", so you have to check.