Booking with a US travel agent - drink package?

amurray88

Hi All,

I'm from the UK but I am planning on booking my MSC cruise through a US travel agent - they get far cheaper pricing for cruises.

My only question is - there's a few US travel agents who have said they can't offer me the drinks package as I'm a UK customer and others (reputable and reasonably big companies) who have said it's no issue and they'll add it for me.

Does anyone have experience of this? Will I pay for the package and then get a nasty surprise when I turn up at the boat and don't get it?

Just to be clear - in the UK MSC are running a free drinks package on Fantastica plan...it is similar in the US apart from they are calling it the All-In plan.

Thanks!

p.s. I should also say - it's not the difference of £20-30, it's more like £400-500 booking with a US travel agent...crazy!

Edited by amurray88

The Americans also need to pay port taxes. 

And technically MSC can cancel your booking completely if they are in the mood for this, because they - again technically - not accept non-resident bookings. I am sure the travel agents in the US know tricks how to avoid this so they can make that business. Just be aware of it. 

amurrray...... you are quite correct and don't forget that MSC cruises booked in the US have refundable deposits unlike the UK and the EU, just make sure the US agency doesn't have a cancellation charge, some do.   

For those that don't know you can check out MSC US Terms &Conditions easily by visiting their .com website rather than .co.uk

20 hours ago, amurray88 said:

Does anyone have experience of this? Will I pay for the package and then get a nasty surprise when I turn up at the boat and don't get it?

We have booked many cruises via the US without any problem whatsoever.  The only problem you get is with Carnival Corp. cruise lines, the likes of HAL, Princess, Cunard require you to have a US residency whilst RCL, Celebrity and MSC it's not a requirement. We have never had any hassle and have been booking via the US for the last 10 years or more.  

It has not always been the case that the US was cheaper, from 2016 until 9 months ago the UK was definitely cheaper although refundable deposits is a great attraction and well as the many perks on offer from US agencies.

3 minutes ago, Jossie1960 said:

We have booked many cruises via the US without any problem whatsoever.  The only problem you get is with Carnival Corp. cruise lines, the likes of HAL, Princess, Cunard require you to have a US residency whilst RCL, Celebrity and MSC it's not a requirement. We have never had any hassle and have been booking via the US for the last 10 years or more.  

It has not always been the case that the US was cheaper, from 2016 until 9 months ago the UK was definitely cheaper although refundable deposits is a great attraction and well as the many perks on offer from US agencies.

Hi Jossie,  Your right with what you say, But I think people are scared of booking with American TA because of all the wrong info given out. If you do your home work, Every thing should be ok.
Reg.

19 minutes ago, Jossie1960 said:

Great thank you! It's just so big a price difference (£1386 v £1769) albeit that the US don't include gratuities which is around £130.... still a huge difference! 

7 minutes ago, amurray88 said:

Great thank you! It's just so big a price difference (£1386 v £1769) albeit that the US don't include gratuities which is around £130.... still a huge difference! 

Are you being offered obc as a perk with the TA ?   

What date cruise/cabin are you booking?

Edited by Jossie1960

11 minutes ago, Jossie1960 said:

Are you being offered obc as a perk with the TA ?   

What date cruise/cabin are you booking?

Hi Josie,

It's MSC Seaside on 27th Jun with inside cabin. There's no OBC with this pricing but does come with the drinks package.

Ta!

Anthony

Edited by amurray88
Wrong date

Hi Anthony.........Sorry been so long getting back to you, internet problems......!
I have done a check with our US TA -  27th.June 7nts. Seaside out of Miami - Interior Bella Grade 11 cabin/ 2people /  with All in Plus Drinks pkg. + WiFi + $125 obc is $1578 without MSC 5% Voyager discount ($78) 

So total would be $1500 (£1145 for 2 people)
You obviously need to add flight costs and probably an overnight stay in Miami.

Trust that helps.