Change in Viking Homelands?

janetcbl

Our Homelands itinerary (7/25/20) is still showing Gdansk, and I hope we do go there. My family is Danish (emigrated to the US in the early/mid 1800s), so I am spending several days in Denmark pre-cruise. Not that another day in Denmark wouldn't be enjoyable, but I am looking forward to seeing Poland. Seems like a lot to see - although the concentration camps would be hard to see, they are important to never forget. Hopefully it will stay.

That's a pity. Gdansk was lovely. However, there was a problem. The shuttle buses dropped us off across the river from the old town. It was a fair walk to reach the old bridge but there was a new bridge which opened and closed at set times to allow boats to cross. Its easy to be on the wrong side of it when needing to get back to the buses or to have a last minute longish dash. Potentially this could have an effect on ships departure? I really don't know. 

Also Euros were not welcome and we had to look out for cafes that accepted them. 

It was a beautiful place though and we were glad we'd been. 

On 1/4/2020 at 4:04 PM, janetcbl said:

We have booked the Viking Homelands (9/5/20) and I noticed that Gdańsk is no longer listed on our itinerary. Instead we stop at Bornholm, Denmark. Anyone else have this change? Anyone know the reason for the change? 

Sometimes a change like this effects only one sailing.  Have you asked Viking about it?

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Sometimes a change like this effects only one sailing.  Have you asked Viking about it?

Yes, they said it was due to “logistics”....whatever that means.  A letter was sent to all people who had booked the cruise in February 2019 about the alteration.  We just booked,  and the rep. didn’t mention the change.

53 minutes ago, ruimin said:

There are 16 of us on this cruise also, and we are disappointed That we’re not stopping at Gdańsk, but I’m sure we’ll enjoy Bornholm.

I intend to start a roll call for this cruise.

Dave

Agree with you about Bornholm!  I lived in Denmark for six months and never got there...it is on my bucket list. Glad you want to start a roll call!